PDA

View Full Version : Ar-15 OLL prosecution

trevork22
09-27-2009, 2:21 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows about or has heard of anyone actually getting prosecuted and given a felony for having an OLL ar-15 with locked 10 round mag.

Norccer
09-27-2009, 2:23 PM
That sounds quite impossible.

missiontrails
09-27-2009, 3:08 PM
I know it's only your 6th post, so it's OK to ask. Answer: NO. Solution: Go buy yours now:)

Noobert
09-27-2009, 3:14 PM
That sounds legal, an OLL with a BB and 10 rounder

Seesm
09-27-2009, 3:23 PM
Prosecuted for being legal? Nah...

Flying Bones
09-27-2009, 3:31 PM
Prosecuted for being legal? Nah...

Unless you live in SF!

BroncoBob
09-27-2009, 3:41 PM
Feel free to go and become one of the owners of a OLL.

bplvr
09-27-2009, 3:48 PM
The BEST thing to do is run to your OLL friendly FFL dealer and purchase, or order, a CalGuns OLL. The quality is first rate and they are made in San Diego.

shookatash
09-27-2009, 3:53 PM
Feel free to go and become one of the owners of a OLL.

or 2!

Cal-Irish
09-27-2009, 4:50 PM
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs227.snc1/7427_274704700190_635955190_9064689_5366355_n.jpg

Flying Bones
09-27-2009, 5:36 PM
Seriously, it'll change your life! For the better. :83:

CavTrooper
09-27-2009, 6:25 PM
Has anyone ever been arrested, had to pay a sh*t-ton of money for bail/lawyers, had their rifles confiscated (and never returned) with a legally configured OLL?

trevork22
09-27-2009, 6:28 PM
yeah what CavTrooper asked was essentially my question as well

dieselpower
09-27-2009, 6:32 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows about or has heard of anyone actually getting prosecuted and given a felony for having an OLL ar-15 with locked 10 round mag.

Felony, no. Given a ****load of poop and forced to plead guilty to a lesser crime, while allowing the OC DA to take the firearm...yes.

IIRC he was speeding, doing some other illegal **** and they found the AR15 in the trunk or something like that.

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

Also even though this has nothing to do with the OP here....FYI if you are committing a crime that they can tag "street Gang" onto with ANY firearm with a magazine 12021.5 comes into play....and this is what you could be looking at
....be punished by an additional term of imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years in the court's discretion.........
` As used in this section, the following definitions shall apply:
(1) "Detachable magazine" means a device that is designed or redesigned to do all of the following:
(A) To be attached to a rifle that is designed or redesigned to fire ammunition.
(B) To be attached to, and detached from, a rifle that is designed or redesigned to fire ammunition.
(C) To feed ammunition continuously and directly into the loading mechanism of a rifle that is designed or redesigned to fire ammunition. .....

So use of a tool has nothing to do with it at that point.

LesGrossman41510
09-27-2009, 8:28 PM
even if you had a detachable thirty rounder i think nowadays its no longer a felony but a civil matter??

trevork22
09-27-2009, 9:03 PM
i plan on always having a bullet button with a 10 round mag

dieselpower
09-27-2009, 9:16 PM
even if you had a detachable thirty rounder i think nowadays its no longer a felony but a civil matter??

err..No.
a 30rd mag is legal if owned prior to 2000.
putting it in a firearm with a BB might win you a 4 year trip you don't want to take.

hoffmang
09-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Has anyone ever been arrested, had to pay a sh*t-ton of money for bail/lawyers, had their rifles confiscated (and never returned) with a legally configured OLL?

The worst story that's happened to a legal gun was a guy who was arrested and had to post felony bail. Once he got in touch with CGF his only additional cost was the cost of the LEGR form and he got his gun back and was never prosecuted. His case isn't over from a positive point of view (he's safe and has his gun back) but we may be able to strategically utilize it.

I generally hear about all police incidents regarding OLLs and I can tell you that our stories per 3 months ratio is down to about 1-2 and those resolve before we can get a lawyer involved. They also usually involve some sort of reason for cops to be in a house...

Owning al OLL is just as safe as owning a non-detachable magazine SKS at this point.

-Gene

osis32
09-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Unless you live in SF!

gee thanks...

Vtec44
09-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't think the DA's and the CA DOJ want to go to trial with a AR15 w/ a BB and 10-round mag. They're risking legallizing the bullet button if it goes to to an actual trial. My greatest fear is that the ignorance police department would make my life much harder that it is, although I have nothing illegal.

chsk9
09-27-2009, 10:17 PM

They may have been given a felony but decided to give it back... :eek:

Richie Caketown
09-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I think someone on here had a Stag 2HT rifle and let his son who was on probation pose with it , someone found out , got his rifle confiscated and never saw it again

technique
09-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I think someone on here had a Stag 2HT rifle and let his son who was on probation pose with it , someone found out , got his rifle confiscated and never saw it again

But no charges were filled against HIM. Though a "crime" was committed....no one on probation can be in possession or have access to a weapon.

I believe, (not 100% sure)....he just cut his losses.

KAVEMAN762
09-27-2009, 10:25 PM

Its as legal as any other rifle or shotgun, just build it per the penal codes....

floogy
09-28-2009, 8:03 PM
He was on probation, the fact it was an OLL is moot. It could have been a .22 bolt action.

devildog999
09-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Nothing to worry about, go get infected with the BRD ;)

Major Pal
09-29-2009, 12:02 AM
All LEs Ive seen out at the ranges were interested but once they saw how it worked they were cool with it. Most were really nice and some even commented on how it was a neat idea. But Im sure there are some hard *ss cops out there who would arrest first then just they the da sort it out. Most of the time people are doing something else illegal to get the cops looking at there guns in the first place.

WeekendWarrior
09-29-2009, 7:59 AM
WWRTW

zman
09-29-2009, 9:06 AM
The worst story that's happened to a legal gun was a guy who was arrested and had to post felony bail. Once he got in touch with CGF his only additional cost was the cost of the LEGR form and he got his gun back and was never prosecuted. His case isn't over from a positive point of view (he's safe and has his gun back) but we may be able to strategically utilize it.

I generally hear about all police incidents regarding OLLs and I can tell you that our stories per 3 months ratio is down to about 1-2 and those resolve before we can get a lawyer involved. They also usually involve some sort of reason for cops to be in a house...

Owning al OLL is just as safe as owning a non-detachable magazine SKS at this point.

-Gene

Thanks for the info and for your dedication here. :yes:

stuntdummy
09-29-2009, 9:17 AM
Unless you live in SF!

I live in SF, am I missing something here?

nickT916
09-29-2009, 1:50 PM
i got a quick question that worries me at times... i have SR556 AR15 with BB and 20/10 mag, if lets say i get arrested because some cop might "think" im a crazy man for having such a gun ad has no knowledge about OLL lowers... and i spend a night in jail or something waiting for court.... would that effect my personal clean history record? would a cop get in trouble? would i need to get a lawyer anyways? what rights do i have in such situation? a lawsuit against that police department for not havig the knowledge and training for such things?

Jicko
09-29-2009, 1:57 PM
i got a quick question that worries me at times... i have SR556 AR15 with BB and 20/10 mag, if lets say i get arrested because some cop might "think" im a crazy man for having such a gun ad has no knowledge about OLL lowers... and i spend a night in jail or something waiting for court.... would that effect my personal clean history record? would a cop get in trouble? would i need to get a lawyer anyways? what rights do i have in such situation? a lawsuit against that police department for not havig the knowledge and training for such things?

Contact CGF at that point.

Dangerpin
09-29-2009, 3:40 PM

Having been in a similar situation, quite a number of years ago, I can say that if the officer is absolutely sure you are doing something wrong, even if there is no law to back him up you probably will spend the night in jail. Your wife will cry herself to sleep thinking you are going to jail on a felony charge. You will be photographed and fingerprinted. You will need a lawyer, you will miss work and free time dealing with it. It will temporarily effect your clean record until you get it all straightened out. You will have to work to get your guns back and the officer will not ever get in trouble of any kind, it won't even be considered.

The worst part back then was that no entity like Calguns existed to bring sanity to the process, finding a lawyer familiar with the maze of gun laws was neigh impossible and the authorities operated as is there were no oversight or responsibility for the choices they made. Thank the Lord for Calguns Foundation.

Flying Bones
09-29-2009, 3:45 PM
I live in SF, am I missing something here?

If you are aware that your police chief is a commy then you're not missing anything.

oaklander
09-29-2009, 3:47 PM
To reiterate what Gene said, OLL confiscations and/or arrests are very rare at this point. They all get resolved, especially once the CGF gets involved.

IF you hear of any OLL confiscations and/or arrests, please contact the CGF immediately.

Major Pal
09-29-2009, 3:59 PM
Like oaklander said contact CGF right away and they will set you up with a lawyer who has experience in this area. If everything is legal it will work out and your charges will be dropped and you get your rifle back with a clean record. But this happening is very rare, thats why its always good to keep a paper with all the laws and configurations in your gun case, you can find them all here. Plus always stay calm and cool headed with cops, getting mad and talking *hit will most often get you into some cuffs and a ride downtown;)

Bizcuits
09-29-2009, 4:35 PM
yeah what CavTrooper asked was essentially my question as well

aw well then yes, several

aplinker
09-29-2009, 6:18 PM
This one time, at banned camp...

B Strong
09-29-2009, 6:53 PM

Homework:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186405

See also:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=80571

trevork22
09-30-2009, 9:38 PM
one more question sorry. If i put in a .22lr convertion kit will i then be able to have a detachable magazine since it with shoot rimfire and not centerfire ammo?