PDA

View Full Version : C&R sale rejected in Phoenix

gunsnrovers
09-17-2005, 3:37 PM
Today, on one of my many yearly visits to Phoenix to bring my son to see the grandparents, one of the local gun shops (Legendary Guns) refused to sell me an early pre-WWII S&W M&P.

Evidently, according to the shop owner, the ATF has advised him not to sell C&R handguns to California C&R holders. Longguns were OK.

Sounds like someone's flinging poo in Phoenix.

Pthfndr
09-17-2005, 6:51 PM
He's full of it. In august I was in Tucson and picked up a Colt Woodsman. One that was not yet 50 years old I might add, but the BATF now lists ALL Colt Woodsman models as C&R. The gunshop didn't quite believe me at first, but they checked the ATF C&R updates online and sold it to me.

09-17-2005, 10:43 PM
What's the definitive answer on C&R handguns purchased outside of California?

Hypothetical examples:

I drive to Carson City to one of my suppliers for a CZ-52 to purchase it. Can I or can't I?

If I find a similar CZ-52 at a gun shop in California, can I purchase it outright...with no waiting period...with my C&R license/CoE?

zatoh
09-17-2005, 11:37 PM
If I find a similar CZ-52 at a gun shop in California, can I purchase it outright...with no waiting period...with my C&R license/CoE?

Yes. I've done the very same thing with the same model of gun... twice. Some dealers may not honor your C&R/COE combination because they aren't sure and want to play it safe. I wouldn't (or haven't) tried my C&R/COE combination at Turner's (a local Southern Cal chain of stores) mostly because they like to play it ultra safe and I don't think they would go for it. So far for smaller dealers I haven't had any problem.

Good luck!!!

imported_EOD Guy
09-18-2005, 6:05 AM
Originally posted by M-Rex:
What's the definitive answer on C&R handguns purchased outside of California?

Hypothetical examples:

I drive to Carson City to one of my suppliers for a CZ-52 to purchase it. Can I or can't I?

Yes, you can. You have to register it within 5 days using DOJ Form BCIA 4100A and sending them $19.00.