View Full Version : Need Help finding a FFL in Ca. (L.A. area)

09-26-2009, 7:55 PM
Hi all,
Im moving from Alaska to Los Angeles in 2 weeks and since Im driving through Canada I cant take my .45 with me in my vehicle.

I need to ship it to a FFL in California, how do I go about finding one? I went to my local gun shop and the guy there told me that I have to find one in california and have him/her fax a copy of their FFL to the shop and they will take it from there.
I was also told that there might be a snag, the guys at the shop said out of state FFL must be registered with the State of California in order to ship to a California FFL...There weren't 100% sure on this so they're looking into it.

Can someone guide me in the right direction as to how to go about finding a FFL in CA...(Los Angeles area)


09-26-2009, 8:09 PM
you can ship your firearms to yourself and not have to deal with using FFLs.

You can ship it c/o another party if you need to.


(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

edit: yes, the AK FFL is correct in that he would have to enroll inthe CA CFLC program for him to ship it to a CA FFL. Now, you could ship it yourself to the CA FFL without having to deal with the CFLC.

One question that does come to mind is how would the CA FFL transfer the handgun to you. I think the "Roster of not-unsafe handguns" could come up in this situation, which would add a layer of complexity if the handgun isn't rostered. Normally, a new resident can import non-rostered handguns without a problem other than they must be CA-legal and have to be registered within 60-days. But I don't know if your situation would fall under one ofthe roster exemptions if it had to be transfered through a dealer.

09-27-2009, 5:41 AM
Thank you for the reply ke6guj,

I asked the USPS and they told me I could not ship a handgun through them. So can I ship it to myself through Fedex or UPS?

I'm only shipping the frame of my S&W 99 .45. I will be taking the barrel and and slide with me. 1 to lower my shipping cost and 2. in case the package gets lost or stolen a fully assembled handgun doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

It feels strange knowing that my trusty .45 wont be with me. I've carried it with me everyday for the last 8 years

09-27-2009, 9:13 AM
There might be some issues with shipping a firearm with UPS or FedEx, as well as being expensive:


Generally, it is for shipping to a license firearms dealer/gunsmith or return of a firearm to be returned. It appears to be legal to ship it to yourself, but that does not mean that FedEx or UPS will accept it. Also, because the require that the firearm be shipped overnight, it is quite expensive.

If the firearm is on the certified list, that would make it easier:


Check for the EXACT model. If it is not there, you might contact the CA DOJ:


and see if there is an exemption and/or how it can be "transferred" back to you.

I am a FFL and I am in the LA area, so I might be able to assist you if you want to ship it here. What part of LA are you going to? It is a big area. You might also see if you can ship it to a gunsmith for "repair" and then later have it shipped back to you.

BTW, get used to not having it with you everyday since it is difficult to get a CCW in CA, depending on where you live.

09-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info kemasa,

I checked certified list and my Smith&Wesson 99 .45cal is listed.

so if Fedex and UPS only ship handguns to FFls how can I ship my pistol to myself in care of someone else (my mom)?

I know this isnt a place for legal advice im just looking for ideas as to how I can ship my gun to myself without a lot of hassle.

09-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Based on what others have said, it is legal to do so and if you read the UPS and FedEx requirements carefully, you might be able to ship it to yourself as that is legal. You might need to ask them about it.

Once you get to CA, you will need to fill out the form to "register" it, which is not much less than the $25 DROS fee, but to DROS it, you will need have CA ID and proof of residency and a HSC card ($25). In addition, the shipping costs using FedEx or UPS will be high. So, since it is on the list, you might want to have a FFL up there ship it USPS, which can be done with a flat rate box for around $15, plus the FFL fee. This could work out to be cheaper.

I think there is a ferry which goes from Alaska to Washington, that would bypass the whole thing, but I would guess it is expensive.

If your Mom lives in CA, you might just want to "give" it to her by shipping it FFL to FFL using USPS, then once you get down here, fill out the form to transfer it back to you. She would need a HSC card, which could be an issue if she is not familar with guns.

It is a bit of a mess. If you can get a gunsmith to clean/repair the firearm for you and then either ship it back to you in CA or pick it up in person, that might be the cheapest way. It might also be cheaper to have a FFL up there ship it for you since even after paying them, it is most likely cheaper to ship it USPS than to use FedEx or UPS.

It looks like UPS might be possible:


... and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

09-27-2009, 5:36 PM
I'll give UPS a call and see what their rates are and then decide between UPS and my local gun shop.

I am taking the Ferry to Washington but we are now entering the winter season up here the only place I can catch the ferry this time of year is in Skagway or Haines which means driving through Canada and then back into the U.S.

Since you're a FFL could I have my local gun Shop ship my pistol to you Kemasa if I decide to go that route?

Thanks for all the advice and info :)

09-28-2009, 9:31 AM
UPS rates:


Make sure that you look at the required shipping for handguns:

UPS Next Day Air® Early A.M.®, UPS Next Day Air®, or UPS Next Day Air Saver® services.

I could receive it for you, but depending on where you are going in LA, there might be someone closer.