PDA

View Full Version : Shooting 308 Help Hearing and Eye Protection

autodex
09-26-2009, 8:27 PM
Hello,
I have a Impact Sports Earmuffs for range work. I have a pair of cheap eye protection glasses. I am having few issues.

First I would like some suggestions as to what ear plugs are comfortable to supplement the earmuffs

Second wearing the glasses under the earmuffs hurts, I am looking for another eye glasses or even googles that are comfortable to wear under muffs and have great visibility

Third the glasses should be anti fog since this seems to be an issue with the one I have now

Thanks

technique
09-26-2009, 8:57 PM
I have a pair of electronic plugs that were molded to my ear in the color of my choice.

Kinda like this:
http://www.earinc.com/p1-electronic-hunting.php

Then I have some that are muffs too.

As far as eye protection...I beat those up so I buy cheap but still fog proof. I run and gun a lot so I use ones with straps, that might do for you...I wanna say they are called BSA or something.

ghost
09-26-2009, 9:02 PM
i use cheap eye protection that i picked up walmart.if i shoot larger calibers like .308,i double up with 30db ear muffs and plugs.

swerv512
09-26-2009, 9:06 PM
i use cheap walgreens ear plugs which work well and are comfy enough for all day shooting at the range. i have a pair of smith and wesson glasses that have the yellow lenses. they work well enough to stay on my face wihtout fogging...

Purple K
09-26-2009, 9:18 PM
I use the yellow foam ear plugs by E.A.R. They come in two sizes, regular and grande. Good quality ear plugs will give as good a noise reduction rating (NRR) as ear muffs. Unfortunately, when the body of the ear muff rests against the stock of a rifle or shotgun the noise is transmitted thru the hard plastic. I definately wouldn't recommend wearing goggles while shooting. It's more difficult to acquire a good sight picture and they'll fog up without notice. If you live in Northern Cal. I can get you an assortment of eye and ear protection to try out..... free.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-26-2009, 9:51 PM
WileyX Glasses.. (wire frames makes it easier to use muffs) and Pro Ears are what I use.... but for hot weather I use the custom molded ear plugs

autodex
09-27-2009, 9:17 AM
Are Wiley X Glasses anti fog? I have read some reviews that stated these had some issues. Thanks

ocabj
09-27-2009, 10:50 AM
"Anti-fog" glasses are a joke. There are methods to make glasses anti-fog like solutions or coatings but those are temporary. Or they could cut vents in the top to allow air to flow.

I've shot with a lot of glasses from Wiley-X to Oakley and in one way or another, I can make any glasses fog in some situation.

Just find glasses that work for you as far as fit, and use soap or some other method to coat it for anti-fog everytime you use them.

sevensix2x51
09-27-2009, 12:44 PM
i use howard leight "max" foamies, and no muffs. they are rated nrr33, i shoot .300wm indoors with no issues, have shot .50bmg outdoors, just fine.
as far as eyes, i like "bombers" safety glasses. $7 a pair, and they fit me well and look cool(which is most important), and they are ansi z87 rated. of course i use this same stuff for work, and i run a lot of rotary hammers in block buildings. theres no such thing as fogproof glasses, as far as im concerned.

mattmcg
09-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Personally I don't mess around when it comes to hearing and eye protection while shooting. My eyesight and hearing are just too precious to go the cheap route. Buy once, cry once!

A typical 308 rifle emits approximately 150dB of sound in the vicinity of the shooter. Exposure to over 115dB for longer than 30 seconds (think shooting strings) can cause permanent hearing damage. So best to take maximum precautions for your ear's sake.

As for what I use, I love the Oakley M-Frames for shooting glasses. They come in various tints and lens shapes and are sure to fit almost everyone. The lenses are also ballistic rated to provide maximum protection against ricochet and shrapnel. The earpieces are also straight and limit any fit/comfort issues with the ears. I have two pair, one clear, the other tinted for indoor/outdoor usage.

For hearing, I use the 30dB foam earplugs from Walmart and a pair of 33dB Pro Ears Pro Mag Gold electronic muffs. This combo works for almost any situation. For indoor range use, I double bag wearing the foams underneath the Pro Ears. For outdoor use I use just the Pro Ears. If you need to go lower profile, just use the ear plugs.

Works well for me! I'd love to add in a pair of electronic in the ear muffs but the dB attentuation just isn't enough in any of the current models from what I can see.

NSR500
09-27-2009, 1:39 PM
Get the Oakley or WileyX glasses with a prescription lense for your eye condition. Don't mess around with glasses under safety goggles. You can also go with contacts and then the shootin glasses if your eye condition allows you to wear contacts.
As for ear protection, the other guys covered the best approach already. Using plugs under muffs will give good protection.

Barney Gumble
09-27-2009, 2:14 PM
Earplugs: MAX earplugs, NRR 33. $12/50 pairs from Dillon Precision. I wear them under electronic muffs. The MAX plugs are so good that I have to wear the electronic muffs over the plugs so I can hear people talking.

Eye pro: Prescription glasses or good quality sunglasses will do. If you don't have either, Big 5 has some decent eye pro that's relatively inexpensive. You don't have to get a pair of Oakleys just to go shooting.

odysseus
09-27-2009, 2:24 PM
Eye pro: Prescription glasses or good quality sunglasses will do.

If you are real picky about this, than you also might consider that not all eye wear are equal, and not all are as impact resistant. Would you rather have glass or polycarbonate as an example?

NSR500
09-27-2009, 2:26 PM
Whatever you get for your eye protection make sure it is ANSI rated for a kaboom type impact.

Barney Gumble
09-27-2009, 2:36 PM
Here's a good article: http://www.6mmbr.com/eyeprotection.html

pontiacpratt
09-27-2009, 3:08 PM
I love my Wiley X glasses, I got the LA (Light Adjusting) for $90 on Amazon.