PDA

View Full Version : Is the dealer short changing me

2hip
09-26-2009, 7:28 PM
Calgun vets, I am brand new to your site. Here is my situation...I have a brand new M1A Springfield. It has set in a rifle sock for the past year. I wanted to change it into a serious sniper rifle for competition or just target shooting. The local rifle expert there began telling me about changing out stocks, triggers, actions, scopes and such...and I was up to about 5K. He said if it was him he would just keep the rifle as is and get a dedicated sniper rifle. He recommended a Savage or Remington 700.
Then we began discussing the M1A. I paid approx. 2K for the rifle in April 2008. It has never been fired or even seen the direct light from a sun. They said they could sell it for me on consignment for approx 2K. I know that it is almost impossible to come up with these guns right now..and they mentioned that they had several prospective buyers in the "wings". They jumped on that price way too quick for my general sense of well being...so, I am feeling that due to the political climate, lack of availablity of assault weapons, that this price is way too low. Please educate me...I'm begging you.
Where can I get market price for this rifle? Is there a forum or website that you can direct me to? What are your opinions about price ranges? Can you tell me if the dealer is recommending a good sniper rifle that I listed above? Respectfully, 2hip

Richie Caketown
09-26-2009, 7:31 PM
you know you will probably have good results selling it here on the marketplace right ? Lots of popularity for that rifle here without the consignment fees .

technique
09-26-2009, 7:34 PM
What model M1A? Barrel length?

You can sell it here if you like (in the for sale section)
If you can get what you paid for it, thats a deal. It is after all (even unfired) a used gun.

There is no shortage that I know of.

ke6guj
09-26-2009, 7:39 PM
5K to upgrade your existing M1a? sounds way high unless you are throwing on big$ scope and stock. And why change out the action on a brand new M1a? I think even a high-$ build from Fulton Armory doesn't get that expensive.

But making a sniper rifle out of an M1a may not be the best idea. It takes a lot of money (and luck sometimes) to get a semi-auto like that to shoot as tight as a bolt-action rifle.

Yes, the Remington 700 is a common choice, less so for the Savage. The nice thing with the 700 is that everybody makes custom parts for them.

Regarding market price on your M1a, what version is it? They seem to go from around $1500 for the basic versions to ~$2k for the supermatch.

I'd suggest looking on gunbroker for your exact model and see what they go for.

reidnez
09-26-2009, 7:44 PM
My advice is to take it to the range and then decide whether you really want to sell it. You just may change your mind. The only guns I sell are the ones that I discover, after repeated attempts, I just cannot get myself interested in. AK's for example--just don't do it for me.

If not, you should have no trouble moving it in the "for sale" section on this site.

THT
09-26-2009, 7:52 PM
My suggestion would be to leave the M1A alone. If you want a precision rifle, build/buy one. My FIL has an M1A with a match barrel and a few other upgrades but my 5R consistently shoots tighter groups. I haven't changed/upgraded anything either...it is as it was built by Remington. All I did was add glass, a bipod, and a steady diet of FGMM soon to be replaced with my own AMAX loads.

Tavern Keeper
09-26-2009, 8:32 PM
M1A Std w/ walnut stock List $1705.00
M1A National Match w/ walnut stock List $2250.00
Several variations in between. If it's new and unfired you can probably get list even in a private party sale as these are hard to come by. I'd keep it if was me, but if you decide to sell you shouldn't have much trouble.
Lee Williams
Tunn Tavern Arms

swerv512
09-26-2009, 9:10 PM
you could get 2k for a NM easy...

ARBITER
09-26-2009, 11:10 PM
you could get 2k for a NM easy...
List price is $2249 see link
http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subsites/inven_product.asp?dealer_id=269&item=NA9102CA&instock=all&manufact_combo=Springfield+Armory&mod_ser_combo=M1A&category_combo=2&model=M1A&g_type=None&act_type=&finish_type=None&calib_combo=None&sight_class_combo=None&price_range=None&left_handed=&youth=&Offset_rec=0&num_rec=50&item_num=

Darklyte27
09-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Keep M1A stock, build a precision rifle, Savage, Tikka,Remmington.

usually 600$ or less.
Add 300+ scope
100$ rings and base
70$ bipod

check out my savage or larue in my links

chsk9
09-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Calgun vets, I am brand new to your site. Here is my situation... lack of availablity of assault weapons, Respectfully, 2hip

If I might call a point of order- "assault weapons" is a political term given military style SEMI-automatic firearms- much maligned by the media and liberals alike- and happends to chafe my hide! Semi-automatic firearms is a more accurate and less abrasive description!
That said, welcome, and as others have said NIB M1A's are 1500-2000. I would keep it. Everyone should have at least one!

Rob454
09-27-2009, 12:17 AM
I would say to keep it. I'm on the fence about selling my Poly-tec m14 right now to get a AR. I haven't fired my rifle either. the SA M1As seem to fluctuate in price. ive seen them as low as 1400 and as high as 4k give or take a few hundred at that price range. You can make a M1A pretty damn accurate IMO. I personally don't like to spend that kind of money on my guns. i use them and then sell them if I get to the point where I don't shoot it or get bored with it. You can keep it as is and save up for another rifle you can make into a sniper/tack driver.
Good luck in your decision.

PS everyone I know that had a M14/M1A and sold it pretty much regrets selling it.

c good
09-27-2009, 8:29 AM
What model is it?

2hip
09-27-2009, 3:58 PM
Sorry Guys...just got done working a 24 hr straight at the hospital so I'm pretty dingy right now...Thanks for all of the advice...I'm a member of Hayabusa .org for some time and I learned a good web site can help you climb out of the information deficit disorder quickly. I've got to learn all of the acronyms you guys use quickly. If the rifle doesn't sell in a week I will probably keep it and just put a scope on it. Sorry about the assault weapon remark concerning the M1A in my orginal posting. Ignorance on my part and will learn the lingo...Respectfully, 2hip

X-NewYawker
09-27-2009, 4:27 PM
Keep M1A stock, build a precision rifle, Savage, Tikka,Remmington.

usually 600$ or less.
Add 300+ scope
100$ rings and base
70$ bipod

check out my savage or larue in my links

also, you could just get a sadlak mount ($250) and a nice scope ($600) and your M1-A would be the rifle you're talking about.

Jpach
09-27-2009, 4:29 PM
Dang, M1As go for that much now? Thats crazy. I think I got my Loaded M1A for like $1250 before tax or something because it had some minor handling marks on the receiver and the coating on the synthetic stock was chipped in one small spot. I love that gun.

You sure you want to sell it?

guncrazy17
09-27-2009, 4:31 PM
If I might call a point of order- "assault weapons" is a political term given military style SEMI-automatic firearms- much maligned by the media and liberals alike- and happends to chafe my hide! Semi-automatic firearms is a more accurate and less abrasive description!
That said, welcome, and as others have said NIB M1A's are 1500-2000. I would keep it. Everyone should have at least one!

Yes get that 'assault weapon' bs out of your mouth and mind and never say it again!

reidnez
09-27-2009, 5:00 PM

Ditto "high-capacity magazines," in reference to 30-rounders. They are what the weapon was designed to use, therefore they are "normal-capacity" or "standard-capacity" magazines. If you have a 100-round drum, on the other hand, feel free to call it a "high-cap" because it is. But the more we allow the anti's to frame the debate by using their language, the more we cede ground.

It may seem like semantics, but it matters.

ke6guj
09-27-2009, 5:02 PM
many of us use the term "large-capacity magazine" because that is the legal term, in CA, for an 11+ round feeding device.

Rob454
09-27-2009, 6:03 PM
Dang, M1As go for that much now? Thats crazy. I think I got my Loaded M1A for like $1250 before tax or something

Good luck getting that price these days. Hell, polytec m14s are going for 1000$ these days. I guess you can find someone who is hurting for cash really really bad so the price isn't impossible to find but I bet its pretty rare.

Liberty Belle
09-27-2009, 9:49 PM
I have a SA Socom 16 (M1A). I get offers for it, almost daily, that are $2k +. I've been told by credible sources that they are currently back-ordered a year and a half. I put a Mark 2 scope on mine and named her. The offers keep coming even though it is clear I'm not selling her! If yyou like it, dress it up and keep it. If not, based on my experiences with mine, you could get your price.

sevensix2x51
09-27-2009, 9:55 PM
I have a SA Socom 16 (M1A). I get offers for it, almost daily, that are $2k +. I've been told by credible sources that they are currently back-ordered a year and a half. I put a Mark 2 scope on mine and named her. The offers keep coming even though it is clear I'm not selling her! If yyou like it, dress it up and keep it. If not, based on my experiences with mine, you could get your price.

they (socom 16's) are sitting on the shelves at san diego gun stores for 15-1600 new, unsold. the one at socal has been there for at least a few weeks, and i saw 2 at el cajon g.e the other day... i bought mine, with an aimpoint ml2 for 1600 otd used, looks like ~500rd through it... that was a few weeks ago.

bombadillo
09-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Its gonna be a huge matter of what the heck it is. If its an M1A supermatch or something of that nature, sure you could get a heck of a lot for it. If its a SOCOMII, you could easily fetch more than 2k for something like that. If its a very basic M1A, then I would sell it privately and not take a 10-20% hit on the consignment fees that i'm sure he's gonna ream you for. Find a person who wants something like that or put it up on the message boards here and elsewhere, (that is if you don't want it anymore) and get what you're looking for untaxed, and not taken for the percentage he's sure to charge. Its 25 bucks to dros it on the buyers end and you're out nothing. Post up pics though through photobucket so we can even see what the heck it is.

Oh, and if you're looking for a tack driver for 2k and want a nice gun, get a nice remington 700 sendero in 300 win mag or something that is made to go the distance and drop some nice glass on it. Just food for thought.