PDA

View Full Version : colt carry handle

loudninja
09-26-2009, 2:48 PM
does the aperture assembly to have some play in it? the whole buis can twist back and forth using ur hand. it wont rattle when the rifle is shaken though.
that normal?
thanks

technique
09-26-2009, 2:50 PM
No...based on your description, that is not normal.

reidnez
09-26-2009, 2:53 PM
That sounds broken to me. Does it shoot straight??

loudninja
09-26-2009, 2:53 PM
so its supposed to be rock solid?
the apertures themselves are, jus not the whole assebly....

technique
09-26-2009, 2:55 PM
Tightened down all the way?

loudninja
09-26-2009, 2:57 PM
the whole handle itself is tightened securely to the rail.
looking straight down on it, it wont shift back,forward,left, or right. but itll pivot clockwise and counter. maybe about 1/16ths.

missiontrails
09-26-2009, 3:15 PM
That's how my Colt Sporter has back in the 90's. The square box moves a little, but doesn't it have a spring loaded feel to it and always return to it's resting possition? Mine moved maybe 1/16" like you are describing.

phish
09-26-2009, 3:23 PM
It's not pinned, of course there's going to be some play, even the epic (or is that legendary) Colt stuff.

loudninja
09-26-2009, 3:28 PM
That's how my Colt Sporter has back in the 90's. The square box moves a little, but doesn't it have a spring loaded feel to it and always return to it's resting possition? Mine moved maybe 1/16" like you are describing.

nope, it doesnt return to its resting position

missiontrails
09-26-2009, 3:40 PM
Well, technically, if that box is moving 1/16" either way on the center pivot point, it's not going to move your apperture, it will just make the peep hole a small pinch narrower. It's not going to change the top center of your peep hole in relation to your front sight post.

loudninja
09-26-2009, 3:45 PM
i see, i wanted find out whether i got a defective one or not. if thats normal than all is well i suppose

Army
09-26-2009, 9:18 PM
Normal. Some are locked on, some wiggle like yours. Either way, the aperture is centered and any movement simply rotates around it.

penguin156
09-26-2009, 9:56 PM
I wouldn't call that normal. Every one that I worked with had a little spring with a ball bearing inside of it to keep it snug. It can rotate if you apply pressure, but the little ball bearing presses on the carry handle itself to return it to position and keep it snug. Sure, it's not going to matter if yours isn't snug like that as far as moving the aperture . . . but it's still not "correct."

missiontrails
09-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't call that normal. Every one that I worked with had a little spring with a ball bearing inside of it to keep it snug. It can rotate if you apply pressure, but the little ball bearing presses on the carry handle itself to return it to position and keep it snug. Sure, it's not going to matter if yours isn't snug like that as far as moving the aperture . . . but it's still not "correct."

Yes, that is the spring load I mentioned earlier. Do you KNOW for sure it's a real Colt carry handle?

technique
09-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Normal. Some are locked on, some wiggle like yours. Either way, the aperture is centered and any movement simply rotates around it.

Interesting...I'm sure you know more than most. I have never seen that before.