PDA

View Full Version : Score, got FFL 03 C&R in mail!

cyrus
09-26-2009, 12:33 PM
Score, got FFL 03 C&R in mail! Now i have to decide if I need a COE.

cryoguy
09-26-2009, 12:46 PM
when did you send yours off... Im still waiting for mine...

Saigon1965
09-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Get the COE - Becarful with your savings account -

Shiloh13
09-26-2009, 1:00 PM
when did you send yours off... Im still waiting for mine...

Same here.
How long did you wait?

cyrus
09-27-2009, 6:53 PM
I sent the COE form too, but with no payment on it. I was also confused by it, wording of sponsor and such. So I think they round filed it I better try again. And about 5-6 weeks.

cyrus
09-27-2009, 6:58 PM
Sounds like the COE only allows me skip the 10 day wait on long gun purchase from a dealer in CA and allows more than 1 hand gun a month. Not a huge advantage. Am I right or wrong?

Eroland7
09-27-2009, 7:02 PM
It's nice to be able to take something off the rack somewhere and just take it home if it catches your eye. Does anyone know how long the COE lasts? Does it expire in 3 years like the ffl?

kryptonicrxn
09-27-2009, 7:02 PM
because now it's so easy to buy milsurps online that you'll spend day and night searching for more and more then you'll hit the point where you have to watch your bank account. speaking from personal experience here haha i have over a dozen and im only 24!

about this message:
...the COE only allows me skip the 10 day wait on long gun purchase from a dealer in CA and allows more than 1 hand gun a month.

is this true?

Eroland7
09-27-2009, 7:03 PM
Sounds like the COE only allows me skip the 10 day wait on long gun purchase from a dealer in CA and allows more than 1 hand gun a month. Not a huge advantage. Am I right or wrong?

That is it.

ke6guj
09-27-2009, 7:06 PM
The COE (with the C&R) allows you to skip the 10-day wait on all C&R transfers (of any age) from a dealer (must still DROS it though). It also exempts you from the 1-in-30-day limit for ALL handguns, C&R and Modern.

ke6guj
09-27-2009, 7:07 PM
Does anyone know how long the COE lasts? Does it expire in 3 years like the ffl?valid for 1-years. Renewals are ~$22 per year.

paintballergb
09-27-2009, 7:11 PM
How do you go about getting one of those?

ke6guj
09-27-2009, 7:19 PM
How do you go about getting one of those?not sure if you are asking about the C&R or the COE, so you get the info for both.

Here is my condensed guide on how to get a C&R FFL

Go to http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm and request F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms. . On-line copies of the application you may find are out-of-date, obsolete, and not acceptable by BATF.

They will mail it to you, fill it out per the instructions, send one copy back to BATF +$30, send second copy to CLEO that you refered to on the form, wait ~2 months, receive approved C&R FFL in mail.

YOu can purchase C&R firearms (no AW's or NFA stuff) while out of state, cash-and-carry, and bring back with you with no in-state dealer needed. C&R handguns that are brought in require you to submit a C&R handgun report within five days. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf

C&R long guns over 50 years old can be purchased in-state from any non-dealer or can be shipped into the state via a mail/phone/web order. Any C&R handguns purchased in-state must go through a CA FFL. If you also get the COE, then you can DROS C&R firearms and take them home immediately, no 10-day wait.

The COE is more expensive, around $100 in fees for the first year, but the renewal is something like $20 bucks per year. It has a very limited use in CA, but when used in conjuction with the C&R exempts you from the 10-day wait on C&R purchases from a dealer (still must DROS it), and exempts you from the 1-in-30 handgun regulations for all handguns, modern and C&R.

To get the COE, download the app at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf. Just follow the directions on how to fill it out. Included in the directions is a URL to a list of Live Scan locations where you'll have your fingerprints electronically scanned and sent to CADOJ and the FBI.

Your CLEO is your local police chief and/or county Sheriff.

Eroland7
09-27-2009, 7:20 PM
valid for 1-years. Renewals are ~$22 per year.

ouch, thats sucks...

rogdigity
09-27-2009, 9:41 PM

the C&R exempts the 10 day wait on all guns, long or short. as well as allows you more then one pistol every 30 days or whatever.

on an unrelated note: i bought 2 cz-52 pistols from SOG a year or two ago. apparently when you by more then one pistol at the same time the dealer is required to notify the ATF and the ATF will suredly want to do a 'random' inspection. sure enough, they did. nothing to worry about though. i dont have anything to hide and everything of mine is legal and legit

ke6guj
09-27-2009, 10:00 PM
the C&R exempts the 10 day wait on all guns, long or short. as well as allows you more then one pistol every 30 days or whatever. The C&R+COE combo exempts you from the 10-day wait on all C&R guns, not modern guns. The combo does exempt you from the 1-handgun-a-month for all handguns, C&R and modern.

on an unrelated note: i bought 2 cz-52 pistols from SOG a year or two ago. apparently when you by more then one pistol at the same time the dealer is required to notify the ATF and the ATF will suredly want to do a 'random' inspection. sure enough, they did. nothing to worry about though. i dont have anything to hide and everything of mine is legal and legitinteresting. If you bought them using your C&R, then you are a licensee, and there should have been no need for the "multiple handgun purchase" form to be filed.

http://www.atf.gov/forms/pdfs/f33104.pdf

rogdigity
09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
i guess i stand corrected. thanks

as for the inspection, they just wanted to check to make sure i wasnt buying the pistols and reselling them. i guess they would construe this as dealing. i actually had three of the pistols and gave one to my brother in law and somehow wound up trading the other 2 to a guy here on cal guns for a k31

sigfan91
09-29-2009, 11:18 AM
i guess i stand corrected. thanks

as for the inspection, they just wanted to check to make sure i wasnt buying the pistols and reselling them. i guess they would construe this as dealing. i actually had three of the pistols and gave one to my brother in law and somehow wound up trading the other 2 to a guy here on cal guns for a k31

What kind of inspection? Did some ATF guy show up at your house, demanding to see everything in your safe?

sigfan91
10-16-2009, 11:05 AM
on an unrelated note: i bought 2 cz-52 pistols from SOG a year or two ago. apparently when you by more then one pistol at the same time the dealer is required to notify the ATF and the ATF will suredly want to do a 'random' inspection. sure enough, they did. nothing to worry about though. i dont have anything to hide and everything of mine is legal and legit

Just want to make sure this is for hand gun purchases only. I would like to buy a pair of Mosins or something like that and save on shipping, possibly even getting a discount. I really don't want some ATF guys over for inspection. We want to avoid any "imperial entanglements." :D

rogdigity
10-16-2009, 11:26 AM
What kind of inspection? Did some ATF guy show up at your house, demanding to see everything in your safe?

Just want to make sure this is for hand gun purchases only. I would like to buy a pair of Mosins or something like that and save on shipping, possibly even getting a discount. I really don't want some ATF guys over for inspection. We want to avoid any "imperial entanglements." :D

the inspection was at my other property in nebraska so i obviously couldnt just meet the guy. the ATF agent called and just said hey we gotta come do an inspection. i told him i wasnt there at that address at the time and that i had transferred my inventory to my san diego address. he then needed to see my records indicating such (i am assuming this was to assure that i wasnt buying pistols and selling them to other people and thus being a dealer...). i faxed him my records and since i dont reside at that address anymore i even filled out a paper to cancel that particular license for that address.

basically they just wanted to see my inventory and see my records. it wasnt a demand, it was actually a friendly "hey can we setup a time to do this" kinda call. they dont just show up at your door (provided they have your CORRECT phone number!) and barge in. they were very civil about it, or at least this agent was. it would have been nice to have that license open there still, but i figure ill be moving to texas soon enough that i can deal without a few C&R pistols for a while. might keep my wife happy too! you know, not spending money and all.....

as for rifles, who gives a sh*t? because its not the ATF. i tried to do an interfamiluiar exchange for a 60-70 year old rifle from my gandfather. they didnt even care. note that when i did one for the pistol they DID take my money and process, but with the rifle they didnt even give a sh*t.

im sure you could buy a truck load of rifles and they probably wouldnt care. but do be aware that if you GIVE them (any dealer, person, LEO, or agent) reason to be suspicious they will report you to the ATF for suspicious activity. im not saying if you buy a gun in a black trench coat that people will be kicking down your door, but if you have white rings around your nose a deal probably wont sell you a gun. same thing if you go pickup your new gun and start talking about re-selling it, youll probably get popped