PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

U5512
09-25-2009, 7:35 PM
Newbie here!!!:D

So back in the 90's I bought a Hungarian made AK-47 variant SA85M with the thumbhole stock from a gun store in Lake Forest, CA. I was shooting may be 100 rounds through it with my friend and I put it away. I wasn't active in the gun/shooting scene or gunshows, and I obviously wasn't aware of the registration requirement in CA for "assault weapon". My SA85M wasn't registered with the state. I am now an owner of a banned and non-registered weapon. Would a gunstore, say Turner's Outdoorsman, be able to sell the gun for me to someone outside of CA? I would like to keep it and lately wanting to get out in the desert with my co-worker to do some plinking, but I am afraid if a law enforcement officer sees it I am pretty much doomed. What would you do?

nn3453
09-25-2009, 7:39 PM
Ask a moderator to delete this thread. Then talk to a lawyer ASAP on how to dispose it off safely. The lawyer should be able to help you turn it over to the police/arrange for disposal without getting you in much trouble. If you don't have priors, the cops are unlikely to charge you and you will get off clean or with fines. As it stands you are facing charges. Get off the Internet and call a competent lawyer.

djleisure
09-25-2009, 7:42 PM
Uhm, you just admitted to a felony on the interwebs... good thing you were just kidding about that whole thing, right? RIGHT?! ;)

technique
09-25-2009, 7:43 PM
Ask a moderator to delete this thread. Then talk to a lawyer ASAP on how to dispose it off safely. The lawyer should be able to help you turn it over to the police/arrange for disposal without getting you in much trouble. As it stands you are not just the owner of a banned weapon, you are facing charges.

Uh...no.

If its Banned by name, cut the Receiver in half. Buy a non-listed rec. and rebuild it, get a compliant grip or mag locking device and some 10rnd mags.

69Mach1
09-25-2009, 7:44 PM
Before the thread disappears, the SA85M is not listed as an Assaut Weapon by name, only by feature......the thumbhole stock. Either remove the T.Hole or add a mag lock and 10 rounder.

technique
09-25-2009, 7:46 PM
Before the thread disappears, the SA85M is not listed as an Assaut Weapon by name, only by feature......the thumbhole stock. Either remove the T.Hole or add a mag lock and 10 rounder.

See^^^^ now you don't have to cut it in half....just get some 10rnd mags if you want a mag lock....or fill the thumbhole and use your per-ban mags....problem solved.

djleisure
09-25-2009, 7:47 PM

Well now that makes things much easier....

StevieC
09-25-2009, 7:54 PM
look at that!

now you are legal owner of some high cap mags!

some days are good... some days are great! :)

69Mach1
09-25-2009, 7:55 PM
Well now that makes things much easier....

Yeah, but I still have a huge problem with these kinds of posts. What if the rifle was listed by name? This is like the 3rd or 4th time this month that someone has "outed" themselves or a friend.

Not trying to pick on the OP.

missiontrails
09-25-2009, 7:55 PM
I have a Milwaukee Sawzall that will cut through it like butter, incase you would like to clear your guilt....

swerv512
09-25-2009, 7:56 PM
first rule about the fight club......

swerv512
09-25-2009, 7:58 PM
Yeah, but I still have a huge problem with these kinds of posts. What if the rifle was listed by name? This is like the 3rd or 4th time this month that someone has "outed" themselves or a friend.

funny thing is that those "friends" are usually ummmm..... imaginary.

reidnez
09-25-2009, 8:02 PM

I'm with 'ya, but at least he is trying to resolve the issue and bring himself up to par (albeit in a pretty risky way). I prefer seeing that to seeing yahoos at the range with Panther rifles and 30-round magazines, readily admit to having brought them in from out-of-state, and don't give two craps about the law. True story.

Maybejim
09-25-2009, 8:04 PM
Newbie here!!!:D

So back in the 90's I bought a Hungarian made AK-47 variant SA85M with the thumbhole stock from a gun store in Lake Forest, CA. I was shooting may be 100 rounds through it with my friend and I put it away. I wasn't active in the gun/shooting scene or gunshows, and I obviously wasn't aware of the registration requirement in CA for "assault weapon". My SA85M wasn't registered with the state. I am now an owner of a banned and non-registered weapon. Would a gunstore, say Turner's Outdoorsman, be able to sell the gun for me to someone outside of CA? I would like to keep it and lately wanting to get out in the desert with my co-worker to do some plinking, but I am afraid if a law enforcement officer sees it I am pretty much doomed. What would you do?

The solution is to take it to Arizona or Idaho or some other sane state and simply sell it. You can take it to a gun store there or to a gun show.

technique
09-25-2009, 8:04 PM
with Panther rifles and 30-round magazines, readily admit to having brought them in from out-of-state, and don't give two craps about the law. True story.

who in their right mind would violate the law for a DPMS:confused:

69Mach1
09-25-2009, 8:07 PM
The solution is to take it to Arizona or Idaho or some other sane state and simply sell it. You can take it to a gun store there or to a gun show.

Kinda bad advice there. Remember that there is also "illegal transport of an unregistered assault weapon". That is if this rifle was a listed AW (and unregistered) or in a prohibited configuration. In that situation, if the OP is busted on the way out, he's screwed. However, like I said this is not a named AW.

swerv512
09-25-2009, 8:31 PM
who in their right mind would violate the law for a DPMS:confused:

i hate to agree because i have a dpms upper- but it sure aint no Armalite Super SASS...

JTROKS
09-25-2009, 8:43 PM
Easy on the DPMS, mine has been very reliable and accurate. Mine is a pre-Panther.

To the original OP, I checked the list and I don't see your AK variant listed as banned. To make you feel better, the list wasn't exactly accurate in covering all the AKs and ARs. Just put a mag lock as mentioned and use 10 round mags only. Another option is to get a monster man grip and you can use your pre ban high cap mags, or buy some Bondo and fill in the hole through your stock where your thumb goes in. Relax have a beer, before you do that go buy some filler.

dieselpower
09-26-2009, 11:11 AM
I didnt know pineapple granades were banned, probably cuz I wasn't old enough to read the law when it happened. Should I just use them up or can I sell them to LEO?

Sh!at happens, just configure the firearm within the law and be done with it. No one is going to bust your door down in the next few minutes, just get it done soon.

post pics when you are done!

Blackhawk556
09-26-2009, 11:23 AM
imagine if he would have listen to first response, he would have destroyed his rifle for nothing.

mtsul
09-26-2009, 1:51 PM

do this and have a good time

And the first rule of fight club is dont talk about fight club and the second rule of fight club is dont talk about fight club

Richie Caketown
09-26-2009, 2:20 PM
first rule about the fight club......

i would say its more like Rules 1 & 2 of calguns

Napalm Bulldog
09-26-2009, 2:22 PM
If he just takes it apart for now its not a whole gun correct? Isnt there no law against having parts?