PDA

View Full Version : ar question

mif_slim
09-25-2009, 5:17 PM
anyone know anything about yankee hill ar? are they good?

foxtrotuniformlima
09-25-2009, 5:21 PM
Their components ( handguards and such ) are top notch.

I've not seen their lowers / uppers but mil spec is pretty much mil spec.

I would not pay $ 2K for one but I would think they would be equal to say a S&W or Stag.

reidnez
09-25-2009, 5:28 PM
Good stuff.

technique
09-25-2009, 5:31 PM
You can do better than that for the cost.

missiontrails
09-25-2009, 5:39 PM
I had the 7200 lightweight free float upper with the flip-up gas block sight. Eye candy, killer fluting on the barrel, NICE workmanship, but......... The barrel materials and spec do not = the price they sell for.

mif_slim
09-25-2009, 6:04 PM
if you dont mind explaining, what is it that makes it not worth the money? i just want to make sure before i jump into ordering one. thanks.

missiontrails
09-25-2009, 6:13 PM
if you dont mind explaining, what is it that makes it not worth the money? i just want to make sure before i jump into ordering one. thanks.

The barrel. Not true Milspec barrel steel, 1/7 for heavier ammo flexibility, HP/MP tested etc... Good barrel = more rounds down the pipe before you start seeing elongated holes in your targets. Not to mention tighter out of the box accuracy, in many cases. The YHM barrels WILL shoot just fine for the average 800 round/year shooter. In fact, they will probably shoot more accurate than the average owner.

technique
09-25-2009, 6:16 PM

Well, What do you know about it?

Do they test their barrels and BCGs? Are they batch tested or all tested? Are the BCGs shot peened? What color extractor spring insert? Are the gas keys staked? What material are the barrels made of? Do they make them, or are they bought from someone else?

Extension diameter? staked castle nut/end plate?

These are things you should know before jumping the gun....they give limited info on their site....most GOOD companies will give you detailed info about every part they use.
Get this type of info and make comparisons with other companies products in the same price range....I can give you a few company names that do all or most of the above in the same price range or even less.

missiontrails
09-25-2009, 6:26 PM
Well, What do you know about it?

Do they test their barrels and BCGs? Are they batch tested or all tested? Are the BCGs shot peened? What color extractor spring insert? Are the gas keys staked? What material are the barrels made of? Do they make them, or are they bought from someone else?

Extension diameter? staked castle nut/end plate?

These are things you should know before jumping the gun....they give limited info on their site....most GOOD companies will give you detailed info about every part they use.
Get this type of info and make comparisons with other companies products in the same price range....I can give you a few company names that do all or most of the above in the same price range or even less.

Yes, their website even boasts their barrels as being Chrome Moly Vanadium. I had to e-mail them to get the scoop, they are 4140 CMV... My BCG was nicely staked, but the bolt itself had NO markings, so I assume NOT tested. Their lowers look very Stag/CMT like. I am sure their rifles run fine, for a while.

technique
09-25-2009, 6:38 PM
Yes, their website even boasts their barrels as being Chrome Moly Vanadium. I had to e-mail them to get the scoop, they are 4140 CMV... My BCG was nicely staked, but the bolt itself had NO markings, so I assume NOT tested. Their lowers look very Stag/CMT like. I am sure their rifles run fine, for a while.

That may just be an indication they are batch tested...like Noveske for example, out of 3 direct from factory uppers I owned 1) was marked MP 1) CM...the other had no markings.

missiontrails
09-25-2009, 6:46 PM
That may just be an indication they are batch tested...like Noveske for example, out of 3 direct from factory uppers I owned 1) was marked MP 1) CM...the other had no markings.

Ya, the bolt that came with my Low Pro upper was also unmarked.

mif_slim
09-25-2009, 7:20 PM
so now, i guess the question would be, guys who own them, are they reliable? are they ammo picky? is there any things that are needed to fix for it to function? thanks.

Josh3239
09-25-2009, 7:33 PM
Reliable? As in will it put out a round everytime you pull the trigger at the range? Sure any AR will do that. Ammo picky? Depends on the rifle, whether we are talking ARs or a bolt action. Fact is some barrels group well with a certain type of ammo and others prefer different. If it came broken, their business wouldn't last very long, no need to fix anything.