PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant M44 Sight Adjuster Needed

ateballsidepocket
09-25-2009, 2:37 PM
My once virgin Polish M44 is no longer chaste, and only hit dead on when first used at the range. Since then the barrel has seated-in and it consistently shoots at 10:00 o'oclock at 50 yards and beyond.

The back sight is down as far as it can adjust, so the front sight needs to go left and up.

Anyone know of a source on the web where I can buy an M44 front sight adjuster to move the sight leftward, and also a way/method to elevate the sight to compensate for shooting high(10:00 o'clock).
Side Note: Had fun setting off someones car alarm out in the parking lot of the shooting range last time I took out my M44. Boy that baby sends out s concussion wave and boom. :)

EBR Works
09-25-2009, 2:39 PM
There is no vertical adjustment. You can cut off a small piece of black plastic tubing and slip it over the post to give you some additional elevation. Use a punch and hammer to drift the sight left or right.

Are you shooting your M44 with the bayonet extended? They are sighted in that way. With the bayonet stowed, the harmonics are different and it will shoot to one side.

ateballsidepocket
09-25-2009, 2:48 PM
There is no vertical adjustment. You can cut off a small piece of black plastic tubing and slip it over the post to give you some additional elevation. Use a punch and hammer to drift the sight left or right.

Are you shooting your M44 with the bayonet extended? They are sighted in that way. With the bayonet stowed, the harmonics are different and it will shoot to one side.

Interestingly, when my virgin Polish M44 was first used, It fired it dead on with bayonet extended, but when I went out a second time the seated barrel shot up and left with bayonet extended.

I experimented and folded the bayonet in on that second outing, and it still shot up and left. There may have been a little more extreme to the up and left with the bayonet folded up, but not much in my estimation.

I discussed that bayonet issue some time ago on Calguns, and some folks did note improved accuracy with the bayonet folded open, and thought that the factory had probably sighted-in the virgin firearms with that configuration.

Anyway, I thought someone might ask me that question, and yes, I've tried it to no avail/success.

Actually if there is some difference, when I do get a the front sight moved left and upward, I want to sight it in with the bayonet closed. Why?: I get a lot of smoke fouling on the bayonet when firing it extended. Adds to my clean-up time after shooting.

ateballsidepocket
09-25-2009, 3:05 PM
While browsing the web, I came upon an LT2 sight adjuster for the M91, and can be used on an Enfield. Will the LT2 sight adjuster work on the M44?

EBR Works
09-25-2009, 3:17 PM
While browsing the web, I came upon an LT2 sight adjuster for the M91, and can be used on an Enfield. Will the LT2 sight adjuster work on the M44?

I would say that it would looking at the photo here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/lt2/index.asp

Honestly, a $2 brass punch and hammer will do the job since you are only going to need to do this one time.

CSACANNONEER
09-25-2009, 3:48 PM
I would say that it would looking at the photo here:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/lt2/index.asp

Honestly, a $2 brass punch and hammer will do the job since you are only going to need to do this one time.

+1. Listen to the Mosin Man. Well, maybe impactco isn't the Mosin Man but he does know what he's talking about. A brass punch and a hammer is all you need.

ateballsidepocket
09-25-2009, 4:58 PM
Okee Doke! I'll give it a try. :)

emcon5
09-25-2009, 6:14 PM
I thought the only tool you needed to work on a Mosin Nagant was a hammer. :D

I suppose in a pinch, you could use another Mosin. ;);)

socomIInato
09-25-2009, 10:33 PM
yes it was once a virgin polish m44 like mine, but like your`es she needed to be brass punched hammered to straighten her out:smash: I used a piece of cardboard to protect her finish!

Trendkill
09-26-2009, 8:04 PM
I thought the only tool you needed to work on a Mosin Nagant was a hammer. :D

I suppose in a pinch, you could use another Mosin. ;);)

Lol.

Trendkill
09-26-2009, 8:05 PM
yes it was once a virgin polish m44 like mine, but like your`es she needed to be brass punched hammered to straighten her out:smash: I used a piece of cardboard to protect her finish!

Smart thinkin....