PDA

View Full Version : FFL question highoint carbines

mtsul
09-25-2009, 1:17 PM
I want to buy a higpoint carbine online and send it to a FFL and have him or me put a bullet button on the gun (Do I need one on it to make it CA legal?) im sure I would have to pay extra for the extra time to do this IF its even possible, IM in riverside 92507 im trying to find a FFL to do this that wont break the bank, I willing to drive 3 hours one way for it, thanks either way

How to use a middle man? do I just buy the gun online have the store ship it to them, and then I send them the bullet button (I already have 1) to the guys and they put it on then ship it to my FFL I would be using
Quentin Laser
Gilbert, AZ 85233
480-273-8935
Deals with: anything that can be configured as CA-legal

FortCourageArmory
09-25-2009, 1:48 PM
The Hi Point Carbine is, by definintion, an AW (semi auto, centerfire, detachable magazine and has a pistol grip). So, yes, it would need some type of Bullet Button to avoid AW regulations. Also, As an AW a CA FFL can't receive it unless he/she has a CA Assault Weapon License. So if your local FFL doesn't have one, they couldn't receive the gun and then make it CA-legal. It would have to come to them CA-legal.

Capt. Speirs
09-25-2009, 3:41 PM
The Hi Point Carbine is, by definintion, an AW (semi auto, centerfire, detachable magazine and has a pistol grip). So, yes, it would need some type of Bullet Button to avoid AW regulations. Also, As an AW a CA FFL can't receive it unless he/she has a CA Assault Weapon License. So if your local FFL doesn't have one, they couldn't receive the gun and then make it CA-legal. It would have to come to them CA-legal.

Only if they are an 07 FFL can they make it CA legal, right?

ccaanthony
09-25-2009, 4:06 PM
The High Point is a 10 round clip. I was under the impression the bullet button thing was only for detachable high capacity mags. Am I wrong about this? Or does the pistol grip make the difference?
All the regulations are so confusing!

Matt@EntrepriseArms
09-26-2009, 1:00 AM
Only if they are an 07 FFL can they make it CA legal, right?

In addition the FFL must have the correct type of Assault Weapons license. There are different ones for different purposes.

Ours is for demonstrating and selling AW's to Law Enforcement. So I was specifically told by the DOJ that under no circumstance were we allowed to import an "assault weapon" and modify to make it CA legal and offer it to sale to the public. That is despite our 07 FFL, Assault Weapon License, Hi-Cap Permit, etc.

halifax
09-26-2009, 1:07 AM
In addition the FFL must have the correct type of Assault Weapons license. There are different ones for different purposes.

Ours is for demonstrating and selling AW's to Law Enforcement. So I was specifically told by the DOJ that under no circumstance were we allowed to import an "assault weapon" and modify to make it CA legal and offer it to sale to the public. That is despite our 07 FFL, Assault Weapon License, Hi-Cap Permit, etc.

Is that just a condition of your licensing or is it codified?

ke6guj
09-26-2009, 1:15 AM
The High Point is a 10 round clip. I was under the impression the bullet button thing was only for detachable high capacity mags. Am I wrong about this? Or does the pistol grip make the difference?
All the regulations are so confusing!rifle AWs are basically defined 3 different ways.

1. be a semi-automatic centerfire rifle listed by make/model as an AW.

2. be a semi-automatic centefire rifle that has a detachable magazine (of any capacity) and specific listed ("evil") features.
If it does not have a detachable magazine (BB makes it a fixed mag) then it can have all the evil features you want.

3. be a semi-automatic centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine of more than 10 rounds.
Evil features do not come into play in this case.

If it is not semi-automatic, then the above regs do not apply. If it is not centerfire, then then above regs do not apply.

Read and understand the rifle AW chart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf , and you should see how the laws apply to semi-automatic centerfire rifles.

ke6guj
09-26-2009, 1:17 AM
Is that just a condition of your licensing or is it codified?I've heard that those kinds of permits are "may issue", so CADOJ can revoke those kinds of permits if you upset them.

I was told that by a NFA dealer in CA who used to rent MGs at the range. He stopped renting them, and told me it is because CADOJ did not like him doing that and would revoke his permit if he continued.

halifax
09-26-2009, 5:26 AM
I guess they were afraid a CA dealer might actually make a buck on selling legal rifles. :rolleyes:

Matt@EntrepriseArms
09-26-2009, 8:24 AM
Is that just a condition of your licensing or is it codified?

When I get back to work, I'll post a copy of our license and you will see what I mean.

freakshow10mm
09-26-2009, 8:40 AM
For Hi Point carbines I just take the stock off before shipping out. No evil features, CA legal.

mtsul
09-26-2009, 1:19 PM
bump