PDA

View Full Version : Dewey Question

408teach
09-25-2009, 11:38 AM
please delete

Vinz
09-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Most plastics release chemicals. Its normal but warning messages must be labled on product by law.

vinz

jdberger
09-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Lead. Pthalates. Yucky chemicals.

The tag is on there in accordance with California's Prop 65 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_65_(1986)).

Don't eat the cleaning rod and you should be fine.

wildcard
09-25-2009, 11:48 AM
The pointed jags make it a viable skewer when i BBQ outdoors.. the plastic is surprisingly heat resistant. No problems with cancer yet.

Scratch705
09-25-2009, 11:49 AM
didn't you know? everything in california causes cancer now that prop65 passed.....

Lancear15
09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
this is the first ive heard of it

You would be surprised how many wares sold for food and drink have this warning. Stay away from teflon and leaded crystal. :eek:

fdas-teflon-carcinogen-warning-getting-stronger/ (http://www.thecancerblog.com/2006/02/16/fdas-teflon-carcinogen-warning-getting-stronger/)

Even burnt toast or the burnt fat on your steak are carcinogens(causes cancer) and warrant a prop 65 warning. All restaurants(at least ones who abide by the law) have this same warning and so does your new car, etc. . .

kf6tac
09-25-2009, 12:35 PM
this is the first ive heard of it

Prop 65 is relatively old - it was passed in 1986. It requires manufacturers and the like to post warning labels if certain compounds are present in their products, but because it's such a hassle to figure out if those things are present at all, a lot of companies just splash a blanket warning label on everything they sell in California. Heck, my APARTMENT has a Prop 65 warning label on it!

408teach
09-25-2009, 1:32 PM
the lead crystal i was aware of from working in a store that sold wine glasses but I didn't know that was prop 65 and that so many things were affected

NRAhighpowershooter
09-25-2009, 2:21 PM
also, stay away from bullets.........

wait for it

wait for it

they can kill................:rolleyes::p

Merc1138
09-25-2009, 2:31 PM
Prop 65 is... ugh. I'm not even particularly fond of KFC but some group is suing them because they don't post prop 65 warnings regarding their grilled chicken(because a miniscule amount of a couple of carcinogens is produced whenever you char meat, or heat a lot of things up for that matter).

What's sad, is the nanny state mentality here. Oh no, the [insert item name here] might cause cancer if I lick it 5 times a day over the course of 40 years! The prop 65 warnings are literally everywhere, and it's so easy to just ignore them because of it(and they're definitely worth ignoring. So many things are carcinogenic to one extent or another, to have to label everything that is, is insane. Hell, I don't see anyone demanding peanutbutter companies put prop 65 labels on their products(coating lab mice in peanutbutter for weeks at a time has been shown to cause cancer, go figure).