PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap AR-15 muzzle break, removing flash hider

Flogger23m
09-25-2009, 9:13 AM
Can anyone recommend me a cheap .223 AR-15 muzzle break? Want to keep the price down as much as possible. I am going with a featureless build.

When looking online, I am seeing some fancy stuff, usually $30-80. The A2 flash suppressors go for $8 or so online, so I am hoping there is a muzzle break that is that cheap to.

And another question. How easy is it to remove the flash suppressors? Most uppers come with them, so I will likely be picking up one that has one. Can you easily remove them?

And do some uppers/brands permanently fix them on? I've heard that some M4 type uppers have permanently fixed flash hiders. Does this mean I can't use the 14.5 inch uppers? And would I be fine with a 16" M4 upper?

And one last question. Does the AR-15 lack a muzzle break?

http://www.monstermangrip.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_1de38/09MMGARJT.jpg

shark92651
09-25-2009, 9:15 AM
Yankee Hill Phantom

http://riflegear.com/p-261-yankee-hill-phantom-muzzle-brake-223556mm-agressive-end.aspx
http://riflegear.com/p-264-yankee-hill-phantom-muzzle-brake-223556mm-flat-end.aspx

If you have a 16" or longer barrel you should be able to remove it with a 3/4" wrench. If less than 16", most likely it is welded in place and would have to be removed by a gunsmith. It is federal law that your rifle barrel must be 16" in total length. If your barrel is less than 16" you would need a muzzle device that is permanently attached - i.e. welded. If you don't yet have an upper you can order a 14.5" with a welded muzzle brake if that is what you are after. If you want the most flexibility - get a 16" so you can swap out the muzzle device later should you decide to go with a Bullet Button and evil features.

hnoppenberger
09-25-2009, 9:25 AM
cheap? roll a thread protector, you dont need a flash hider.

Sicarius
09-25-2009, 9:38 AM
I believe brownells had a muzzle brake that looked like an A2 birdcage for pretty cheap. If you don't like the birdcage look YHM phantom brake is hard to be for the price.
Kevin

gunn
09-25-2009, 9:40 AM
Q: How easy is it to remove the flash suppressors?
A: Depends on if its screwed on, pinned & high temp silver soldered, or pinned and weldded.

Most uppers come with them, so I will likely be picking up one that has one. Can you easily remove them?
A: If it's screwed on, sure. If not, it will take some work. People can do this and you can pay them to handle it for you if you don't want to do it yourslef.

Q: And do some uppers/brands permanently fix them on?

A: Yes. There are two reasons to permanently fix a flash hider on.
One, you need to lengthen the barrel to a legal length and permanent attachment means you can count it as part of the 16" minimum length.
Two, I believe during the fed AWB, you had to have the FH permanently attached. This law still lives on in "ban states" like NY.

Q: Does this mean I can't use the 14.5 inch uppers?
- I don't know what you are asking here. You can use 14.5" uppers with a permanently attached FH that brings it up to the legal length. NOTE: Federal SBR laws include constructive possession. If you have a 14.5+FH=16" long upper, do NOT remove the FH if you own a lower.

Q: And would I be fine with a 16" M4 upper?
A: This is a personal preference.

Any back to your final question:
Q: What's a good cheap muzzle brake?
A: I rock a standard A2 on my AR but on my Keltec Su-16CA, I have been quite happy with my DPMS Levang Linear Comp (same thing as a muzzle brake). On such a light gun, it both kept the nose down and since it directs all the gasses forward, it was noticeablly quieter for the shooter with the compensator installed. I'm sure that it was more annoying if you were standing downrange from the rifle but I don't really plan on testing that...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=524840
It's like $28 something with a C&R FFL discount.

Flogger23m
09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Now I have a few other questions:

1) How do I tell if it is screwed on or not? Should it be pretty obvious to notice?

2) Do 16" mid length uppers meet the 16" barrel length requirements without the flash hider or muzzle break?

Merc1138
09-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Now I have a few other questions:

1) How do I tell if it is screwed on or not? Should it be pretty obvious to notice?

2) Do 16" mid length uppers meet the 16" barrel length requirements without the flash hider or muzzle break?

1. You should be able to see if it's soldered/welded on

2. Being mid/carbine/rifle length is irrelevant. That's an indication of where the gas block is positioned and the length of the handguards(which can sometimes be different). What matters is the barrel length. If they say the barrel is 16 inches, then it should be 16 inches, and thus would be perfectly legal(and probably has the flash hider only screwed on). If you just want to put a thread protector on the end instead of a hider or brake, you can.

ps. BRAKE, not BREAK.

Flogger23m
09-25-2009, 11:48 AM
But if the barrel is labeled as 16", does that mean it means the 16" requirement with or without any muzzle device?

gun toting monkeyboy
09-25-2009, 11:54 AM
But if the barrel is labeled as 16", does that mean it means the 16" requirement with or without any muzzle device?

Yes, normally that is what it means.