PDA

View Full Version : Grip tape for magazines

Chatterbox
09-25-2009, 8:57 AM
Unfortunately Magpul doesn't make mags for AK-74, so I was wondering if anybody had experience - good or bad - with putting grip tape on their magazine, to increase "retainability".

SJgunguy24
09-25-2009, 11:53 AM
I would wrap a couple of those thick rubber bands around the mag.
I don't think the grip tape will stick very well because the oil and the ribs.

technique
09-25-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm confused. Are you attempting to stick Pmags in an AK? thats what it sounds like...

Chatterbox
09-25-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm confused. Are you attempting to stick Pmags in an AK? thats what it sounds like...

Errr...no. What I would love to have are Pmags forAK-74 - but since there aren't any, I want to have something that isn't going to slip from my hands during a magazine change. And most AK-74 mags are flat/slab sided, even nominally waffled 30 round Bulgarians are really only ribbed on one side. Seems like potential for issues.

SJgunguy24
09-25-2009, 12:04 PM

I think he wants a more "grippy" kind of surface. I tried the plastidip paint and it doesn't stick very well, but the thick rubberbands GTG.

Flying Bones
09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Grip tape would be a surefire grip solution...not speaking from experience, but from deductive reasoning (using grip tape on lots of other applications).
You shouldn't need to wrap the entire mag in grip tape, a few well placed strips should do the job.
Remember, grip tape WILL destroy anything it comes into contact with. Your pouches, gloves, hands, rifle (if stored loose) will look like they had a head on collision with a disc grinder in a short amount of time.

The rubber bands sound like a great thought. Only problem there is a few days in the sunlight and they're going to be cracked up junk.

One thought that just came to me...Kragens (or any auto store) sells that "do i yourself" bedliner paint. That stuff would work magic. Supper grippy, buy more rubbery than grip tape. You could by a small can of that and do every mag you own...I may try it myself.

technique
09-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Well griptape works on Pmags well....send a PM to Mikecro1. He has a template.

Your other more permanent option is stippling with a heated tool of sorts.

savasyn
09-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Well griptape works on Pmags well....send a PM to Mikecro1. He has a template.

Your other more permanent option is stippling with a heated tool of sorts.

I believe he's talking about metal bodied AK mags, so stippling wouldn't be possible(or at least not in the same way as a plastic mag).

I agree with the previous poster about trying the bed liner stuff. It might do the trick.

technique
09-25-2009, 12:27 PM
I believe he's talking about metal bodied AK mags, so stippling wouldn't be possible(or at least not in the same way as a plastic mag).

I agree with the previous poster about trying the bed liner stuff. It might do the trick.

My 74 mags are plastic...don't know about the OPs

SCMA-1
09-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Sounds like a non issue to me. I can't recall ever dropping a mag because of it slipping out of my hand, even under pressure. But then if you really need it, you can use anti slip sticky back (aka skateboard tape). You can find black sheets of it at Home Depot in the bathroom/tub section.

Scratch705
09-25-2009, 12:55 PM
duct tape, let it sit in sun for a few hours or days, then rip the duct tape off.

the sticky residue left should be good enough, although not sure how long it would last being sticky? since i'm sure lots of dust, dirt, sand, fabric, etc will stick to it in no time.

SJgunguy24
09-25-2009, 1:08 PM
Sounds like a non issue to me. I can't recall ever dropping a mag because of it slipping out of my hand, even under pressure. But then if you really need it, you can use anti slip sticky back (aka skateboard tape). You can find black sheets of it at Home Depot in the bathroom/tub section.

I went over to Skateworks and just asked for the cut off pieces, free:D

technique
09-25-2009, 1:09 PM
I went over to Skateworks and just asked for the cut off pieces, free:D

ditto...still have some.

justin_5585
09-25-2009, 1:09 PM

It seems to me that the bedliner stuff would be pretty heavy on a magazine though? The last thing I want to do is add more weight to my guns...

Chatterbox
09-25-2009, 1:24 PM
I wonder if something like that would work, if superglued to the mags?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H7VGTK/ref=asc_df_B000H7VGTK919368?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000H7VGTK

Of course, it's going to have to be spray-painted "Tactical OD". :)

Merc1138
09-25-2009, 1:30 PM
Shelf liner? Really? That stuff is just going to get ripped to shreds.

The bedliner paint would get heavy, if you put it on super thick. But, what you can do is spray it into a cup(if you get the kind in a spray can)then paint it in sections on the magazine. You wouldn't need to coat the whole thing in bedliner, just like you wouldn't wrap the whole thing in skateboard tape.

Maltese Falcon
09-25-2009, 1:32 PM
Just get some of this stuff:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=143605

It works great and you can take it off and it leaves no residue. I use on the front and rear grip of my AR. No reason you can't use on the mags as well.

yakmon
09-25-2009, 2:02 PM
http://www.skysupplyusa.com/products/wing-walk-paint_198.htm wingwalk paint

duraglock
09-25-2009, 6:11 PM
They also make a rubberized grip tape that is grey. The regular deck tape or skate tape will mess your gear up dependin on the type of pouches you use. The 74 bulgy mags have ribs in the front and back so reloading the mags you still get a good purchase. A guy also makes slip on grips for aks that are rubber or just cut the loops off magpuls and slide them to the desired location. Better than a rubber band and they hold up to the elements.

pottymouth310
09-25-2009, 7:44 PM
I pulled this from another thread.....
did someone say VLTOR? i'm a big VLTOR fan... simply love their stuff. here you go!

my newest, Noveske marked VLTOR VIS-3 with Noveske 14.5" Afghan Barrel:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/pacrimguru/AR-15%20FDE/IMG_0322.jpg

my rarest VLTOR upper, a VIS-1 in factory OD Green with DPMS 14.5" barrel with VLTOR VST:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk62/pacrimguru/AR-15%20Noveske%20OD/P1130867.jpg

Pacrimguru runs grip tape on his mags, not too much, not too little... just right!

j_deisbeck
09-28-2009, 7:07 PM
go to www.ironworkergear.com and get some of the friction tape in the tools section under hammers, i use this so big hammers don't slip out of my hands at work and also use them on my ar mags, i like it and it still stays sticky even if you get dirt on it

Flying Bones
09-28-2009, 7:14 PM
I still think the bedliner is a good option. I'll have to prove it. ;)

Obviously, you wouldn't coat the entire mag, just strategic sections, using a "tape off" method and brush on, not spray on, bedliner. It wouldn't add more weight than the cheeseburger you ate last night added to your trigger finger.

More to come...when I have free time...:rolleyes: