PDA

View Full Version : Planning on selling my AR (Likely to happen)

ElevenBravO
09-25-2009, 4:46 AM
So I'm planning on selling my first and only AR. I've used the search button and found nothing I was looking for. So what do I need to do? And what do I need to know? I haven't decided on price either... Thanks for the help

randy
09-25-2009, 4:54 AM
Find somebody with money to buy it.

Do the transaction at a gun store.

Spend money.

Don't bring it to the gun shop unless it is CA compliant.

swerv512
09-25-2009, 5:04 AM
take a picture of it and post a for sale thread in the private firearm sales section. in the thread lists your location, asking price (OBO), any acceptable trades, where you're willing to meet (or ship). someone will be intouch with you.
i just hope you didnt buy it during the hysteria and you're looking to make all your hard earned $$$ back on this transaction....

ElevenBravO
09-25-2009, 5:06 AM
Find somebody with money to buy it.

Do the transaction at a gun store.

Spend money.

Don't bring it to the gun shop unless it is CA compliant.

I figured that much. Lol... Anything else that I should know about?

ElevenBravO
09-25-2009, 5:09 AM
take a picture of it and post a for sale thread in the private firearm sales section. in the thread lists your location, asking price (OBO), any acceptable trades, where you're willing to meet (or ship). someone will be intouch with you.
i just hope you didnt buy it during the hysteria and you're looking to make all your hard earned $$$ back on this transaction....

Nope. Had the AR for about a little over a year. Still have the receipt to prove it. Lol... I spent a lot of money on the AR buying parts, I'm not gonna be making much back that's for sure. I don't think I'll break even at all. And I have the receipts to prove those as well. Lol... Thanks

Barney Gumble
09-25-2009, 8:55 AM
I've never understood why anyone thinks they would break even selling used stuff. When was the last time you broke even selling a used car?

Price it to move. Stuff sits in the for-sale forum for ages these days because new gear can be had anywhere, and yet people insist on asking for nearly the same price as brand new.

shark92651
09-25-2009, 10:23 AM
Better yet, keep it. That rifle should server you well for the rest of your life. Why do you want to sell it?

POLICESTATE
09-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd sell the dog before I sold my only AR.

gunn
09-25-2009, 10:55 AM
I've never understood why anyone thinks they would break even selling used stuff. When was the last time you broke even selling a used car?

Price it to move. Stuff sits in the for-sale forum for ages these days because new gear can be had anywhere, and yet people insist on asking for nearly the same price as brand new.

Depends on what price you bought it for. It also helps to buy used to begin with. :)
If you buy something well priced, I personally have had situations where I unloaded the item for the same price (or in some instances) more than I paid for it. It all depends on the level of motivation of the initial seller (to you).

What always amazes me is when you see some of the uppers that are traded around CGN regularly (i.e. they pop back up for sale every few months). Of these, very few shooters claim to have shot more than a few hundred rounds through them (seeing how much ammo is bought here - yeah, right). My personal favorite was one I saw a few months ago where the guy bought it with "<200 rds down the pipe" and then sold it a few months later as "<20 rds since new."

I'd love to see these magic bullets that refill up your magazine or put 35c/rd back into my wallet everytime the trigger is pulled.

-g

Barney Gumble
09-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Well I was mainly talking about new stuff since the OP said he had receipts and all.

But yeah on used stuff you can break even.

What always amazes me is when you see some of the uppers that are traded around CGN regularly (i.e. they pop back up for sale every few months). Of these, very few shooters claim to have shot more than a few hundred rounds through them (seeing how much ammo is bought here - yeah, right). My personal favorite was one I saw a few months ago where the guy bought it with "<200 rds down the pipe" and then sold it a few months later as "<20 rds since new."

There are 11,000+ active members on the board. Of those I bet the number of people who put more than 1000 rounds downrange in a year is in the low three-digits...maybe 100-200 people. And I'm talking about 1000 rounds through all their guns combined, not to mention one specific upper. There are many avid shooters here but most people don't have the money or the time to go shooting regularly. So in most cases I believe the low round counts. And .223/5.56 isn't a barrel burner so it doesn't matter much anyway.

Flying Bones
09-25-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd sell the dog before I sold my only AR.

+1. Sell the dog, or the dining room table, or the couches.

BUT if you do sell it...
Plan on loosing 30%
Post an ad here
Make sure your BB is in place
Make sure you do not sell any "high cap" mags

IsaacGlass
09-25-2009, 1:36 PM
Sounds like someone got caught up with either a panic or impulsive purchase early on. Now that the market has settle down, I dont think you will break even. Private market for sale is saturated and not much is moving. You are better off keeping it, but if you cant afford to keep it at this time, reduce the price to move it fast. With 91 days before Christmas the market may even get slower as the holidays approach.

OutlawDon
09-25-2009, 1:50 PM
Sounds like someone got caught up with either a panic or impulsive purchase early on. Now that the market has settle down, I dont think you will break even. Private market for sale is saturated and not much is moving. You are better off keeping it, but if you cant afford to keep it at this time, reduce the price to move it fast. With 91 days before Christmas the market may even get slower as the holidays approach.

+1

Gone are the days of buying hard to find AR parts and then selling them off for a profit. The whole "I need to have 10 AR's" frenzy is over. People are realizing milk, meat and bread, and a roof over their head is more important than their hot sexy collection of firearms.

AlliedArmory
09-25-2009, 2:12 PM
why would you want to sell your only AR?

you almost never get what you paid for something used unless it is extremely hard to find, which AR parts are not anymore. best bet is to buy used and sell. might have a chance to break even then if you got a decent deal on it to begin with

Greg-Dawg
09-25-2009, 2:18 PM
As for pricing, it all depends on what you put on it.

Hard times huh?

stix213
09-25-2009, 2:28 PM
Nope. Had the AR for about a little over a year. Still have the receipt to prove it. Lol... I spent a lot of money on the AR buying parts, I'm not gonna be making much back that's for sure. I don't think I'll break even at all. And I have the receipts to prove those as well. Lol... Thanks

Good luck to you, and you certainly won't break even.

No way I would buy a used firearm anywhere close to what a new one cost, and accessories lose half their value as soon as you open the box.

POLICESTATE
09-25-2009, 2:30 PM
One thing that just occurred to me, whether you decide to sell or not: :useless:

NSR500
09-25-2009, 2:45 PM
I'll give you $20 and a 6 pack of beer. :)

JohnBrian
09-25-2009, 5:23 PM
I'll give you $20 and a 6 pack of beer. :)
I double that offer! :p

reidnez
09-25-2009, 6:27 PM
My advice is: price it low from the get-go. As a previous poster said, it's really a buyer's market right now. The hysteria is calming down, retailers have stuff in stock, and a lot of people are trying to offload collections due to the economy.

I've had a few F/S threads up going on 2 weeks now and I'm just now starting negotiations with serious buyers. You can either post stuff at fire-sale prices, or be patient.

Be aware that you'll probably get a few "interested" PM's which don't pan out. You can't really be mad at these people, they're trying to find the best deal and they PM several sellers to shop around...unless they say "I'll take it" and then back out, which is cause to be angry.

Gator Monroe
09-25-2009, 6:35 PM
Some guy had a Retro M16A1 (603) complete barreld upper minus BCG but it had a CH for $ 600.00 LOL mine was $250.00 And WITH AN $18.00 CH it was far less than $600.00 (Even if you added a A1 Stock & stock screw & reciever extension & spring ...) You should be close to breaking even at those prices .

dieselpower
09-25-2009, 10:37 PM
selling the parts will bring in just as much $$$ on AR15.com.

Most of the time you can charge near new cost and just eat shipping via USPO rate. the smaller you break it down the more $$ will be in the pocket.

Keep the lower.

Used LPK...$50
LNIB Upper....price 95% of new
LNIB BCG....$145
LNIB Quad rails...price at 95% of new
LINB Stock...price at 95% of new

you get the picture. Take and post pics or you will get less action.

shookatash
09-25-2009, 11:01 PM
make sure to find an OLL friendly FFL - not all shops are willing to transfer these.

ElevenBravO
09-26-2009, 5:29 AM
Thanks for all the feed back. I would hate to sell it, but I am broke and I have some financial issues and I feel that this will help resolve it. I would sell my dog too before thinking about selling the AR, but times are tough when you don't have a job and just going to school. And plus, I can always build one, that's the fun part. Right? Anyways...

selling the parts will bring in just as much $$$ on AR15.com.

Most of the time you can charge near new cost and just eat shipping via USPO rate. the smaller you break it down the more $$ will be in the pocket.

Keep the lower.

Used LPK...$50
LNIB Upper....price 95% of new
LNIB BCG....$145
LNIB Quad rails...price at 95% of new
LINB Stock...price at 95% of new

you get the picture. Take and post pics or you will get less action

Sounds like a good idea, might take it into consideration once I add it all up. Thanks for that and thanks for everyones feedback