PDA

View Full Version : AW Registration question?

IBUYGOLD
09-24-2009, 9:34 PM
My Buddy has a pre-ban FN FAL .308 rifle with 20rd magazines he wants to sell, which is currently registered to him.

My question is..

Is this transferable to me?
Since it is pre-ban do I need to add some kind of bullit button?
Can I keep the mags?

Hope this isn't a dumb question?

SJgunguy24
09-24-2009, 9:39 PM
My Buddy has a pre-ban FN FAL .308 rifle with 20rd magazines he wants to sell, which is currently registered to him.

My question is..

Is this transferable to me?
Since it is pre-ban do I need to add some kind of bullit button?
Can I keep the mags?

Only if you are a FFL with an AW permit. If not, your buddy needs to take the thing out of state.

leelaw
09-24-2009, 9:40 PM
Is this transferable to me? NO
Since it is pre-ban do I need to add some kind of bullit button? Not transferrable. Named banned weapon.
Can I keep the mags? No. You can purchase them in pieces to rebuild your lawfully owned large capacity magazines, or you permanently modify them to hold no more than 10 rounds, or you assemble them out of state and disassemble them before you return.

Answered in bold.

IBUYGOLD
09-24-2009, 9:50 PM
wow thanks guys very helpful

Greg-Dawg
09-24-2009, 9:55 PM
Sad to say, only way for him to be apart with it is for LEOs to pry it from his cold dead hands, literally. At least here in CA.

Omega13device
09-24-2009, 10:07 PM
CA Assault Weapons FAQ I put together a while back: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=197295

repoman1984
09-25-2009, 4:35 AM
if someone failed to register an AW but has reasonble proof they have had it their posession years before the ban can they register it?

freonr22
09-25-2009, 4:45 AM
ummm NO. There is no amnesty, so continue to keep it stored out of state so there is no felony

Acorn556
09-25-2009, 6:11 AM
Do you have any pictues of it or more information? Out of state residency has its benefits sometimes.

StevieC
09-25-2009, 7:12 AM
what if he threw an imbel or enterprise receiver in it?

freonr22
09-25-2009, 7:14 AM
Well then he would have a different weapon. You could get a new receiver... DOes the 922r compliance thing kick in??

StevieC
09-25-2009, 7:19 AM
if it's not a registered assault weapon now, maybe the guy would be willing to discount it the price of an OLL upper

if it is a registered AW he'd be nuts to part with it, I kept mine even though I stopped shooting for 15 years

Sniper3142
09-25-2009, 9:07 AM
if it is a registered AW he'd be nuts to part with it, I kept mine even though I stopped shooting for 15 years

Exactly.

A registered AW is "Unobtainium" in California. Unless you are a LEO, you can never purchase one here to replace it.

Even if you don't think you'll want it in the near future, you should keep it because you never know what will happen and it is ALWAYS better to "have it and not need/want it" than to "not have it when/if you need it".

Sicarius
09-25-2009, 9:26 AM
A new receiver would be a different weapon. What is strictly his in this state is the registered receiver. All the parts that are on it can come off and be put on another receiver.
Kevin

QuarterBoreGunner
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Is this an actual Belgian FN FAL? Or a Century gun or Imbel?

jdberger
09-25-2009, 10:40 AM
what if he threw an imbel or enterprise receiver in it?

You don't exactly slap a new reciever on a FAL. It takes a bit more work than an AR type rifle.

Also, the "upper" is the registered part, not the lower.

StevieC
09-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Is this an actual Belgian FN FAL? Or a Century gun or Imbel?

OP said it was a pre-ban FN

You don't exactly slap a new reciever on a FAL. It takes a bit more work than an AR type rifle.

Also, the "upper" is the registered part, not the lower.

yeah I know, I have one... read my post

if it's not a registered assault weapon now, maybe the guy would be willing to discount it the price of an OLL upper

socomIInato
09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
a preban FN FAL turned into parts! this is indeed sad state of affairs:(even if you stick on a another reciever! blasphemy!

Major Pal
09-26-2009, 1:00 AM
I did this for a friend, had a FAL that was a assalt rifle, got a Imbel reciever swapped everything out ( it is NOT like a AR! really need a machine shop) pinned the mag got a tapco dust cover and 10rd mag and he sold it to a friend. Then the original owner sold the banned reciever in NV, but didnt get much for it. But know that you canont take posession of the high cap mags.