PDA

View Full Version : Rebarrel to which cartridge?

Greg Beck
03-20-2005, 7:33 AM
What are the best short action cartridges to rebarrel a Ruger mk-77 too? I was thinking the .257 Roberts might be the best for Cali. hunting. Any other cases that I should consider?

Greg Beck
03-20-2005, 7:33 AM
What are the best short action cartridges to rebarrel a Ruger mk-77 too? I was thinking the .257 Roberts might be the best for Cali. hunting. Any other cases that I should consider?

delloro
03-20-2005, 9:16 AM
.257 roberts is borderline for pigs and bear IMHO. It can be done, buy I would not if I had a different choice available to me.

7mm-08 is tough to beat for sheer versatility and ammo availability, with moderate recoil.

308 is as versatile and available as short action cartridges get, but it recoils more and isn't quite as "flat shooting."

.358 packs a wallop, but is not flat shooting, and less common, though far from rare.

the correct choice depends upon, as always, what you want out of it. what will you hunt, how often, who will be shooting it, etc.

why rebarrel? what do you have now?

Sydwaiz
03-20-2005, 6:54 PM
What is it chambered for now?

Ted_Bell
03-20-2005, 11:13 PM
If you like the 257 roberts, then go for it. That's what my uncle uses on cali pigs, and it works great. He's killed more pigs with that cartridge than I've dreamed of getting.

Greg Beck
03-29-2005, 1:10 PM
My Ruger is chambered for a .243 win. I heard that its a little under powered for large mule deer. With the 120 grain bullet in the .257 you can make careful shots on elk. And its as good as it gets for varmits and small game.

ivanimal
03-29-2005, 10:37 PM
My vote is for the 308, just try and get ammo for the other cartriges in some far out gunshop. I have 3 guns chambered for that round and love them all. The roberts has been a caliber that has always eluded me I almost bought a ruger #1 in that caliber. but it came with an expensive scope and they woud not seperate the pair. I understand it is a kind caliber to introduce smaller people to the game of hunting. It sure has a following in the east coast, I saw 3 of those while deer hunting in New York. Thus my interest.