View Full Version : This may be a dumb question, but....

09-24-2009, 6:48 PM
I'm going to ask it anyways. I just got a Savage M10 and after some thinking picked up a Nightforce 3.5x15x50 scope with Nightforce rings and one of their 2-pc 20 MOA bases. Heres the stupid question. Do I put the slightly thicker of the 2-pc base on the front of the action or the rear? I thought it was supposed to go on the front but then to make sure I called the vendor and they said to mount the thick one on the rear. Doesn't make sense to me to do this because wouldn't you want to use your down elevation clicks to zero the rifle up at a 100 yards or so and save all your up elevation clicks for longer range? The only instructions included with the bases were for a Winchester rifle even though the base actually has Savage stamped on it. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Jim

09-24-2009, 6:57 PM
thicker goes to the rear... this points the scope down in front and allows you to use more of your downward adjustment by raising your zero further up in your adjustment range

09-24-2009, 6:59 PM
oh and BTW if you can i'd exchange it for a 1 piece base

09-24-2009, 6:59 PM
thick base on the rear. to put it simply, at long range your bullet falls downhill. you in turn want to be looking downhill, these bases may not work well for you if you are zeroing in at 100 yards(you may come to the limit or close to your "up" elevation adjustment), but at 200 be just fine.

09-24-2009, 7:05 PM
You're thinking too linear. Bullets don't travel in a straight line, they have a more parabolic shape just like every other projectile (think back to projectile motion back in high school physics).

Everyone knows bullets don't go forever; they fall eventually. The further out from the rifle you go, the lower the bullet has dropped (assuming it hasn't impacted anything yet). What the base does is raises the rear of the scope, which in effect lowers the front of the scope. Since scopes have a limited adjustment in elevation (and windage) you can only accurately shoot so far with a scope aligned relatively parallel to the bore before the bullet has dropped below and outside the scope's adjustment range. By pointing the scope downward slightly, it allows the scope mount to take up some of that initial bullet drop so your scope can accurately adjust to the later bullet drop even further out, resulting in accurate shot placements at a further distance.

Another way to look at it is that by pointing the scope downward, you would have to raise the front of the entire weapon to bring the scope back up to pointing at the target. So you are now raising the muzzle, which (when not done to an extreme) allows the bullet to travel further down range before it has dropped back into the point of aim of the scope.

I hope that makes sense.

edited for more accurate word useage.

09-24-2009, 7:14 PM
Another exercise in thought. Take it to the extreme.

Let's say you are laying prone with the muzzle resting SLIGHTLY off the ground. You want to shoot VERY far downrange. If you raise the front of your optic, and look at something parallel to your current position, the muzzle is going to be pointed at the dirt just out in front of you. This setup does nothing for you (except fraging ground squirrels and gophers).

Under the same condition, an optic aligned parallel with the bore will have the bullet travel down range and then impact the target or the ground if it the bullet has dropped much from the position of the muzzle relative to the floor. This setup allows you to effectively aim at and shoot at targets from relatively close to long ranges.

Now under the same condition, you raise the rear of the scope and you have to raise your muzzle ever so slightly off the floor to bring your scope back to aiming at the target. You're now aiming at something downrange and the bullet will travel away from you and go further down range as the bullet has to drop some to eat up that raise in the muzzle. The only problem with this setup is that while it allows you to shoot at further targets effectively, it basically shoots over the heads of targets at closer ranges limiting the weapon's overall use in a generalized situation. For long range shooting though, it is the best option of the three.

09-24-2009, 8:03 PM
nice piece of writing Neo...

09-24-2009, 8:24 PM
That IS a dumb question;) Neo nailed it, nice work.

I also recommend going to the one piece. Helps stiffen the action a touch and no issue with misalignment of the separate bases.

09-24-2009, 8:58 PM
Thanks for the replies. Makes perfect sense now that I ain't thinkin' linear!

09-24-2009, 9:05 PM
This is the first time I've used a setup like this. All my other rifles (AR's excluded) are Rugers making scope mounting simple. I was looking thru Nightforce's website and they make this nifty little 1 pc base/ring combo for Remington 700's but nothing for the Savage.

09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Check out Seekins Precision for base and rings. Great stuff made by a highly regarded guy.