PDA

View Full Version : long range rifle

bigjoe63
09-24-2009, 4:16 PM
ok im planning on building another rifle now that i got my ar-15 done. i know that its a big change from the ar but im looking foward to it.

accurcy international long action stock black

surgeon xl repeater action .338 lapua

26in barrel with a 2in break.
(still dont know where to get the barrel. any ideas will be taken into consideration)

carl zeiss Victory Diavari 6-24x72
(maybe something else not a for sure on this glass)

what do you guys think?
and if you know where i can get these parts point the way.
thanks for the help

good bless our troops. especialy our snipers
delivering death at a distance
you can run but, your only going to die tired.

HappyG
09-24-2009, 4:49 PM
Pac-Nor Bbl cryo-treated.
US Optics glass.

GL.

Oh, and a lot of $$$. LoL.

Jicko
09-24-2009, 4:56 PM
Bartlein barrels are great, but you probably should put in your order NOW... I think any "good" manufacturer have like a 4-6mos, if not longer, wait...

BTW, for the $$ that you can dropping in....maybe you should just consider a AI .338 Lapua Rifle.... 1 stop shop, and be done with...

StraightShooter
09-24-2009, 5:04 PM

Just order it directly from surgeon. Call and talk to Preston.

(still dont know where to get the barrel. any ideas will be taken into consideration)
I really like Bartlein barrels but any top quality maker will do, pac-nor, mike rock,etc
Nightforce, Premier, S&B,or US optics, i wouldnt wante my time with anything else

what do you guys think?
thanks for the help

Of equal importance if picking the right person to build it.

Argonaut
09-24-2009, 5:14 PM
I like the ballistics better on my 378 Weatherby.....and 460 Steyr.....but otherwise it will be fun

bigjoe63
09-30-2009, 10:08 AM
btt

Requiem
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm a fan of the DTA SRS... even though I haven't shot it yet :D

might wanna look into it tho; it's bullpup so its weight is evenly distributed (so
I hear) and shorter OAL meaning less awkward to carry. It might even end up being the same $ as the AI build you want (IDK, I didn't calculate)

God Bless The Mauser
09-30-2009, 10:33 AM
.338LM is an awful big round for someone new to long range.

sv_1
09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
That scope will need some talll rings!

swerv512
09-30-2009, 1:58 PM
:iagree:

ar15barrels
09-30-2009, 2:46 PM

He only said he was BUILDING a rifle.
He did not say he intended to actually USE it.

This is the internet.
Don't let reality cloud it.

God Bless The Mauser
09-30-2009, 5:42 PM
He only said he was BUILDING a rifle.
He did not say he intended to actually USE it.

This is the internet.
Don't let reality cloud it.

If expensive paper weights float his boat who am I to judge:)

Mute
09-30-2009, 6:08 PM
If expensive paper weights float his boat who am I to judge:)

He can always use it as a bludgeoning tool.

snaggletooth
09-30-2009, 6:20 PM
Why not just get an Accuracy International in .338 Lapua to begin with?
You're getting the stock, why not just get the entire rifle from them?
It's a good reciever, and from there you can get your choice of barrels after you shot out the Accuracy International barrel.
I'm just saying, that's all.
I would vote for Schmidt and Bender for the Scope.

swerv512
09-30-2009, 6:59 PM
He can always use it as a bludgeoning tool.

or a back scratcher...:p

ar15barrels
09-30-2009, 9:11 PM
Why not just get an Accuracy International in .338 Lapua to begin with?

Because a 338 Lapua of ANY make is so expensive to shoot that most people will have the ammo cost seriously prohibit them from putting the rounds downrange that they NEED to do to become a proficient long range shooter.

Buying an uber-magnum does NOT make you a good wind judge.
This is why we always recommend a 308 first.
Then move up to something more powerful once you master the 308 out to 1000yds.

CSACANNONEER
09-30-2009, 9:13 PM
Because a 338 Lapua of ANY make is so expensive to shoot that most people will have the ammo cost seriously prohibit them from putting the rounds downrange that they NEED to do to become a proficient long range shooter.

To be cheap, learn to read the wind by shooting .22lrs out to 200 yards!

Requiem
09-30-2009, 9:19 PM
Good advice from the two above.

sevensix2x51
09-30-2009, 9:21 PM
Good advice from the two above.

+1.

m98
10-01-2009, 1:21 AM
a .408chytac/416barret would be a better caliber to start out a besides the 338 cost wise? Better yet go with the good ole' .50's (50DTC now). And yes, the other guys right on choosing a cheaper cal like the 308/6.5 to start out and learn the fundamentals of 1k shooting first before dumping $$$$ into a never ending pit.

snaggletooth
10-01-2009, 10:38 AM

I understand and whole heartedly agree with the that the round overpowers many who are beginning with long range shooting, and that it is cost prohibitive. However we all know fromexperience, people are not going to listen to sound advice all the time, they are just going to buy the rifle the, and want people backing them up in their decision making process.

With the AI isn't possible to change the .338 to .300 win mag? .300 win mag is a little bit more affordable and yet still gives some of the horsepower the OP is more than likely looking for. I'm just saying.

What you think with going with a .300 win mag, yeah I know you all have been pushing for .308 but I believe this person is looking for a horsepower round to punish themselves with. The least we can do is give them a round they can afford more ratably and have them fulfill their sadomasochistic desires of high recoil and still come out with being able to learn something.

cocorador
10-01-2009, 2:56 PM
Can I suggest a Badger action with an AICS. If you have GA Precision build it, they have the barrels in stock and they have all or most of the wanted contours including the FTE muzzle brake that you may want to have installed. Also, if you do the AICS, I would also suggest a 2.0 for the ease of removing the bolt if you do the Badger route. The Surgeon, I'm not sure. Mine is on a McMillan A-5.

Just a suggestion. Good luck.

swerv512
10-01-2009, 3:52 PM
To the OP:
just buy this and call it a day...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/swerv512/IMG_3251.jpg

B Strong
10-01-2009, 4:41 PM

+1

There's no substitute for training and practice, and 7.62 match ammo is a hell of a lot more affordable than .338L

ar15barrels
10-01-2009, 4:45 PM
I believe this person is looking for a horsepower round to punish themselves with. The least we can do is give them a round they can afford more ratably and have them fulfill their sadomasochistic desires of high recoil and still come out with being able to learn something.

He should get a 16" barreled 45-70 lever gun then.

bigjoe63
12-13-2009, 3:00 PM

i know, but i only want to build one. i learned from motorcycles that your going to want bigger. so i rather go big once and not worry about growning out of it. or getting board...

bombadillo
12-13-2009, 3:23 PM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_135/products_id/11547

THIS ^ :D

After shooting a couple of rounds through Skkeeter's gun here, it was pretty awesome with a nightforce 4-16? I believe thats what it was. Nice stuff very sturdy free floating and 1k plus yard capable out of the box. For the price, I could sell an AR and shoot one of those instead. Way cheaper and 300 win mag is a lot more prevalent and WAY cheaper to shoot if you're going to be heading out to the range with it. Again, this is the internet so its my personal .02c

Hunt
12-13-2009, 5:59 PM

good idea I'll start with my BuckMark pistol:D

X-NewYawker
12-13-2009, 6:03 PM
Sounds like a great combo.
I never intend to shot that far myself, but if you're going to roll your own, I guess .338L is fine. Surgeon action can't be beat.

ok im planning on building another rifle now that i got my ar-15 done. i know that its a big change from the ar but im looking foward to it.

(maybe something else not a for sure on this glass)

what do you guys think?
thanks for the help

X-NewYawker
12-13-2009, 6:04 PM
To the OP:
just buy this and call it a day...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/swerv512/IMG_3251.jpg

And you guys think that Beretta .223 is UGLY? I am SO over these erector set cheek pieces.

ChrisO
12-13-2009, 6:52 PM
oh jeeze one of those guys that hasn't shot past 100 yards wanting a .338 lapua mag, Do you have a place to use the potential of this round? Do you know where you can shoot past 1k? Out to 1k the .338 Lapua Mag is just boring almost like a laser pointer... It's you're money get what ya want but I would suggest starting with a .308 or if you HAVE to have a big caliber get a 300 win mag or even a 30-06 they can take you out quite far with the right set up. A .338 lapua magnum is pointless unless you're going to take full potential of the round. Being that you're new to long range and have no experience with it thats not going to happen. If you can afford it then all the power to you, I sure as hell can't and I have been shooting LR for years now and I still use a .308 for most my shooting.

Black Majik
12-13-2009, 7:02 PM
i know, but i only want to build one. i learned from motorcycles that your going to want bigger. so i rather go big once and not worry about growning out of it. or getting board...

And just the same, those same squids end up getting our freeways closed by spilling their guts all over the freeway after picking up their Liter bike from the dealership.

Timberwolf
12-13-2009, 7:02 PM

I sincerely hope you have a little money squirreled away as you are in for an awful expensive learning curve. Since you compare this to motorcycles lets just say that big bike or small gas still costs the same per gallon but with precision rifles rounds don't. It be a shame to buy a nice 33LM with all the bells and whistles and then never become proficient with it because you can only afford a box or two every now and then. Kinda like a little ol' man diriving a Viper - just a waste a machinery.

Timberwolf
12-13-2009, 7:06 PM
He should get a 16" barreled 45-70 lever gun then.

And give the man a cigar after about 20 rounds from prone :p A little Ben Gay too

ar15barrels
12-13-2009, 8:03 PM
It be a shame to buy a nice 33LM with all the bells and whistles and then never become proficient with it because you can only afford a box or two every now and then.

The reality of a new longrange shooter buying a 338 is "ouch, ammo is expensive" followed by "holy crap this thing kicks a bunch and is too loud" to "338LM for sale, only 40 rounds fired".

NOTHING about a 338 is new longrange shooter friendly.
The trajectory and wind advantages it offers a seasoned shooter are lost on a new shooter with no basic wind-reading and range estimation skills.

pyro3k2
12-13-2009, 8:15 PM

Timberwolf
12-13-2009, 9:11 PM
To the OP - I hope you take to heart what has been said here - if you're truely interested in LR shooting I'd highly suggest a basic 700P in 308 with good glass. Learn the basics , shoot the rifle, shoot the rifle alot - your avg range session should be 50 - 100 rounds every week with multiple dry fire sessions in between. Learn your rifle, how it feels, how it reacts, how you react, how to become and act as one with your rifle. Try your hand at a couple of LR matches, learn the ropes . . . reading wind, mirage, atmospheric conditions and their impact upon your bullets trajectory and all those other good little tidbits that play into shooting long distance. When you've burned through your first barrel and or when you can truely say it is the cartridge that is your handicap and not yourself . . . then go with a big boy if you wish. Otherwise you're just peeing into the wind and hoping you don't get wet.

Noobert
12-13-2009, 9:18 PM

pyro3k2
12-13-2009, 9:27 PM
To the OP - I hope you take to heart what has been said here - if you're truely interested in LR shooting I'd highly suggest a basic 700P in 308 with good glass. Learn the basics , shoot the rifle, shoot the rifle alot - your avg range session should be 50 - 100 rounds every week with multiple dry fire sessions in between. Learn your rifle, how it feels, how it reacts, how you react, how to become and act as one with your rifle. Try your hand at a couple of LR matches, learn the ropes . . . reading wind, mirage, atmospheric conditions and their impact upon your bullets trajectory and all those other good little tidbits that play into shooting long distance. When you've burned through your first barrel and or when you can truely say it is the cartridge that is your handicap and not yourself . . . then go with a big boy if you wish. Otherwise you're just peeing into the wind and hoping you don't get wet.

:notworthy:

ar15barrels
12-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Otherwise you're just peeing into the wind and hoping you don't get wet.

If you have a long enough dick, you don't get wet. ;)

blackrifle242
12-13-2009, 11:27 PM
To the OP.... I have been telling you forever that a .338 LM is not the way to go for someone that can barely tie their shoes. Turners has a 700 SPS in .308 for $560.00 +. Listen to reason. Everyone that has answered your post are experienced shooters and give amazing advice (especially Randall). By the way Zeiss it not the way to go for glass. Your a loser!!!!!!! By the way thanks for not buying dinner the other night