PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Cali AR stock. Your thoughts please

bu-bye
04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
I have been thinking about how stupid the AW law is and me being the problem solving engineer that I am plan to get around it. So here is my idea. Pistol grips are a no no right, so what if you build a custom made stock that was attached to to the bottom of the grip and curved back up to the proper shoulder position just missing the buffer tube which just hangs from the receiver like an AR pistol. Let me try and show you all what i'm talking about

http://bu-bye.tripod.com/newarstock.JPG
Copy and paste if link does not work.

Because the the butt is attached to the bottom of the grip it is not a pistol grip. I have made costum stocks before using fiberglass and this is something I want to try. What do you all think? I know the stock will have to be one single unit and i'm sure it will have to be pinned to the receiver but hell, its worth it.

BWT, Patent Pending!!!

bu-bye
04-18-2005, 10:09 PM
I have been thinking about how stupid the AW law is and me being the problem solving engineer that I am plan to get around it. So here is my idea. Pistol grips are a no no right, so what if you build a custom made stock that was attached to to the bottom of the grip and curved back up to the proper shoulder position just missing the buffer tube which just hangs from the receiver like an AR pistol. Let me try and show you all what i'm talking about

http://bu-bye.tripod.com/newarstock.JPG
Copy and paste if link does not work.

Because the the butt is attached to the bottom of the grip it is not a pistol grip. I have made costum stocks before using fiberglass and this is something I want to try. What do you all think? I know the stock will have to be one single unit and i'm sure it will have to be pinned to the receiver but hell, its worth it.

BWT, Patent Pending!!!

minion82@yahoo.com
04-18-2005, 11:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bu-bye:
Because the the butt is attached to the bottom of the grip it is not a pistol grip. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

DOJ definition of a pistol grip is a protruding grip that allows the web of the firing hand to rest below the top line of the trigger.

Always nice to see an effort to bypass pointless laws, though. Maybe looking at discussion Ted linked to will give a new starting point.

C.G.
04-18-2005, 11:56 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Beeen there, done that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And I thought I was gonna die. Seriously, no matter how many lines I drew, there's no way to make an AR-15 to be an Su-16 and be legal and functional. Excuse the punctution.

dragonbait1
04-19-2005, 1:25 AM
Use the same idea with a AR 180B and you'd have a winner.

I think everyone is going about this all wrong.
The CA Gov't is not going to approve a "AR-15" receiver without a FAB 10 type modification. So a brand new receiver design is needed. My (in progress) concept is a lower that will take ar-15 top ends, use a brand new trigger group and a REM 870 buttstock. The only hitches are buttstock height and the buffer tube. Buttstock height could be overcome with minor retraining, that leaves the buffer tube sticking out like a thumb in your eye. Since it's not profitable to market this, I expect it'll go nowhere.

RGB

eviioiive
04-19-2005, 3:40 AM
there are ar15 pistols with no buffer tube sticking out.....

bwiese
04-19-2005, 8:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It can and has been done, but it isn't cheap and not nearly as well tested or proven at the factory, during trials and in combat as the AR15's buffer system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, don't mess with 40 years of engineering and testing - yours courtesy Uncle Sammy.

I keep my AR operating systems 'bone stock'. Chrome bbl, milspec chamber. Quality bolt/ carrier. Quality springs from Colt or Bushmaster or Armalite, not Brand X gunshow parts. (For one or two of my target rifles I might try a Chip McCormick trigger group, but that's it.)

No funky buffers, D-Fenders, gas rings, etc. These parts may be 'solutions' to other problems needing legitimate fixing.

If the gas system, etc. changes in an AR, it's a whole 'nuther rifle.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose