PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using the BCMGUNFIGHTER CH?

sspen003
09-24-2009, 10:15 AM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204.htm

Anyone rocking one of these? What do you think about it? Worth buying?

slick_711
09-24-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204.htm

Anyone rocking one of these? What do you think about it? Worth buying?

$45? No thanks. Do you use your charging handle the way they suggest? Have you broken handles in the past? If not, this is not for you. Spend the money on ammo.

Jicko
09-24-2009, 10:35 AM
$45? No thanks. Do you use your charging handle the way they suggest? Have you broken handles in the past? If not, this is not for you. Spend the money on ammo.

OP: Yes. It is worth it, totally... single finger pulling on the plain-old CH is painful...or you should add a tactical latch to your regular CH.... the original big badger latch is no good, since it is too bad, and you will see more than usual wear to the right side of the CH as well as the right inside of your receiver. This BCM, or my fav, LMT Tactical CH, or PRI gas buster, or PRI gas buster latch, all those works... and works well.

Lastly, a regular CH(20-25) + a quality latch(20) is going to be cost to 45 anyways..

Slick: Yes, I have had CH broke on me....

sspen003
09-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the input. The reviews for it are incredible and I have not heard anything negative about it

mds2004
09-24-2009, 10:43 AM
If you are looking for a CH + bigger latch go for it as it is a better design. If you already have a CH and want a bigger latch just buy the latch you want. If it does break on you then you should buy the BCM.

It does look like a nice piece but I don't plan on replacing what isn't broke or change the way I use things. When my current CH breaks then Il buy the BCM. Otherwise I like my Badger latch just fine.

Jicko
09-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the input. The reviews for it are incredible and I have not heard anything negative about it

If you are to get it, get the "smaller" version...

I think the large one is quite large, and there may be a chance that it catches on your belt or your chest rig etc... I had that issue with Badger's large latch....

Flying Bones
09-24-2009, 10:56 AM
...patiently waiting...:gene:
Haven't broke one, but wouldn't want to either.

Wayneard3413
09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
I have one of each model... So far so good after a few weeks of daily dry fire and two range trips

You can defiantly feel the quality over my regular CH (Bushy and LMT)

I will also add that the smaller latch is more than adequate and that the larger latch is very similar to having a Badger although not as tall... The deep serrations will defiantly give you a good grip even if your hands are wet/muddy/bloody

Merc1138
09-24-2009, 12:12 PM
The stock CH and latch suck, at least my CMMG sucks. It's just annoying, I dunno how to describe it. Mostly due to the design of the CH and having that thin piece to disengage the latch. I got the mod4(smaller) BCM CH, and holy crap it's nice. It's just so much easier to yank straight back, especially with the much wider area that it has(since it's as wide as the CH itself).

As for the "that's not worth $45", maybe not for you if you like a standard CH and latch, I don't like the standard CH. I've looked at tactical latches before, and they all cost $20 or so, I can afford the extra $25 to not have to spend the 5 minutes swapping it myself and have an extra CH lying around in the end. Oh, and when pulling back on the gunfighter CH compared to my CMMG CH, it doesn't want to torque to the side anywhere near as much. So not only is it more ergonomic for me, but the overall feel is a lot better. Definitely worth it.

pipboy
09-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I needed a 2nd charging handle anyway so I figured why not give this one a try. I have to say I'm very impressed with the quality of the charging handle. It feels more sturdy and less flimsy than my other one. I don't know how it's possible, but it seems to pull back straight with less torque when pulling on just the left side as well. (maybe its all in my head?)

Quality aside, my only gripe is the way the latch is designed. I love the aggressive texture, but the way its designed sometimes pinches my finger in the gap between the raised portion of the latch and the handle. I have to remember not to wrap my index finger around it too much or else i get a chunk of my finger caught in there.

I saw someone on m4carbine.net modify a PRI latch with a dremel and put it in the Gunfighter handle. If i were skilled enough to do that, it would be the ultimate in my opinion.

technique
09-24-2009, 1:08 PM

huh....Try, a $89 PRI, I have gone through 3 of those and they are much sturdier than a standard. The charging handle (believe it or not) is an important part of the AR operational system. It is a good place to spend your money.

I have a BCM #4, haven't used it yet. Its waiting on a build.

Arteel
09-24-2009, 1:12 PM
Since you have both, would you agree with Jicko on his recommendation for the smaller latched Mod 4?

I have one of each model... So far so good after a few weeks of daily dry fire and two range trips

You can defiantly feel the quality over my regular CH (Bushy and LMT)

I will also add that the smaller latch is more than adequate and that the larger latch is very similar to having a Badger although not as tall... The deep serrations will defiantly give you a good grip even if your hands are wet/muddy/bloody

SMGLee
09-24-2009, 1:15 PM
BCM Gunfight Mod3 is for scoped rifle so the charging handle latch can clear the bell housing of the scope.

If you are running irons or red dot sight, the MOD4 is perfect for you.

when you are training with your pistol, do you practice for failure? do you practice tap, rack roll? will, samething should apply to your carbine work, you should practice for any type of failures. tap, rack charging handle roll rifle toward the ejection port side.....then a good solid charging handle becomes a very important item on your rifle.

Josh3239
09-24-2009, 1:17 PM
I have the MOD 3, it is pretty big for my liking. If I were to do it over again, I'd have gone with the MOD 4. Haven't used it yet, I am planning on it for my AR 9mm Pistol but AA is 3 weeks late sending it. It does seem to be build a lot nicer and much stronger.

Charging handle definetly aren't made equally, many companies cut corners in material and strength. Why people want to keep weak points in their rifles is beyond me, even for a range plinker it won't be very fun when your charging handle locks locks up the upper.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/CHARGING-HANDLES-1.jpg

Darklyte27
09-24-2009, 1:23 PM
im using the badger ord ambi

Wayneard3413
09-24-2009, 1:27 PM
BCM Gunfight Mod4 is for scoped rifle so the charging handle latch can clear the bell housing of the scope.

If you are running irons or red dot sight, the MOD3 is perfect for you.

It is actually the other way around... The Mod3 is the larger latch

Arteeel,

I have the Mod3 on a rifle that has a Magpul MBUS on it and it is nice since the site is a bit beefy... Honestly I think either one is good to go

Cardinal Sin
09-25-2009, 12:59 PM
The Mod 4 is great. It is possible to pinch your finger if you grab the handle a certain way though but nothing a little training cant fix. The latch and handle have a much improved grip and feel over the standard one. The handle itself is well made without any burrs and integrates/blends well with the latch. Both the latch and handle are the same height and the latch itself does not extent outboard too far from the handle. Mod 3 might be a tad too big/long. Unless you have big paws or the bell on your scope is big, i would go with Mod 3. Single hand charging is easier. The pull is smooth. I no longer worry about busting my lip when using this method of charging, (If you have done it before then you know what I'm talking about, it smarts). I am pleased with my purchase.

In the end you have to decide price and value. Go with what makes you feel most comfortable.

sspen003
10-08-2009, 6:30 PM
Just an update on these. I got them in the mail a few days ago and installed them. All I can say is OMG these are sick.

Its makes the entire rifle feel brand new. The charging handle grips my fingers extremely well and it seems easier to pull out now.

I recommend this product to everyone

till44
10-08-2009, 6:41 PM
Worth every penny.

Phanuel
10-08-2009, 7:12 PM
I just wish they had the PRI latch as an option with their handle. I'm sure it'd take all of 10 seconds to grind off material in the back of the PRI (probably less than 1mm along the contact) to match the angle of the two latches so the PRI would sit flat against the BCM when squeezed. I'd do it, but I don't really want to spend $65 just so I can toss the stock latch :(.

Merc1138
10-08-2009, 8:43 PM
If you put the PRI latch on, you'd be missing the rear portion of that side of the CH. The BCM latch replaces part of the CH itself.

Phanuel
10-08-2009, 8:56 PM
If you put the PRI latch on, you'd be missing the rear portion of that side of the CH. The BCM latch replaces part of the CH itself.

No, look at the CAD renderings of the BCM latches. It's a latch like any other, the rear flat portion has just a 1 or 2 degree difference in the rear so that it has full contact along the rear with the filled in charging handle.

Compare the green part in the first image with the PRI latch in the second image (both images from BCM's site)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/gfh-mod4-cutaway-drawing-bo.jpg

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PRI%20Latch%20Big%200041-2.jpg

Lone_Gunman
10-09-2009, 3:04 PM
Just ordered the Mod 4. Will post my impression when it gets here.

lehn20
10-09-2009, 3:28 PM
A must have IMO. Made better and stronger than anything else out there. And they do break. Why not have all the parts be as strong as possible.

Merc1138
10-09-2009, 3:35 PM
No, look at the CAD renderings of the BCM latches. It's a latch like any other, the rear flat portion has just a 1 or 2 degree difference in the rear so that it has full contact along the rear with the filled in charging handle.

Compare the green part in the first image with the PRI latch in the second image (both images from BCM's site)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/gfh-mod4-cutaway-drawing-bo.jpg

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/PRI%20Latch%20Big%200041-2.jpg

I don't need to look at the CAD renderings, I can look at the latch on my rifle. The PRI latch wouldn't fit, and not because of the back of the latch.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/gfh-bottom-view-of-mod-3.jpg

Note how in this angle, the bottom of the charging handle itself is not symmetrical on the left and right side. If you put the PRI latch in, you will have a gap due to the missing portion of the charging handle.

Greg-Dawg
10-09-2009, 3:40 PM
Worth it.

B Strong
10-09-2009, 4:06 PM
Looks like a good unit.

I'm running one of the PRI gas buster CH's on my Mk 12 mod 0 clone thingee. It looks like the BCM unit would be as good at a lower price.

Phanuel
10-09-2009, 4:58 PM
I don't need to look at the CAD renderings, I can look at the latch on my rifle. The PRI latch wouldn't fit, and not because of the back of the latch.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/gfh-bottom-view-of-mod-3.jpg

Note how in this angle, the bottom of the charging handle itself is not symmetrical on the left and right side. If you put the PRI latch in, you will have a gap due to the missing portion of the charging handle.

Also note how that gap is completely irrelevant to the function of the charging handle or latch. It butts up against the charging handle internally and that external part that is missing only serves as an additional stop for the latch against the handle. It doesn't matter, the back of the charging handle isn't split like a traditional handle so you can't do this:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/assets/images/blown%20latch%20480.jpg
while racking it hard. The missing lower portion does nothing beyond serve as a guide for the latch. Anybody who uses a PRI latch for example doesn't care how the front of the charging handle interfaces with their hand as the latch and the back of the charging handle is all you touch.

Additionally, someone has done this already and it works - http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=456054 but he didn't need to make those two half circle cuts, and I just don't want to spend PRI gas buster money on a charging handle.
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/FR0GMAN/gunfightermod2.jpg

Merc1138
10-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Well congratulations to that guy, except the PRI latch in the BCM handle looks like crap. Why? Because I know the gap is still there, and mostly because it sits what, half an inch farther forward and appears like it would be an awkward lump, with a gap underneath.

Just get the PRI latch and the standard colt charging handle.

shookatash
10-10-2009, 12:01 AM
like others have said, the quality seems to be a lot higher than a standard CH. I like the ability to pull with a single finger on my support hand. I also bought a PRI latch which I threw on a standard CH and while both make it simple for single hand charging, the BCM product feels sturdier and stronger.

both function well and as expected. i have not yet pinched myself yet with the BCM product and of course the PRI latch just feels good.

Bowser
10-10-2009, 12:17 AM
There's no point in using the gas buster handle on the BCM's because you end up having the same damn problem...the stress point is still on the roll pin.

dchang0
10-10-2009, 2:31 AM
There's no point in using the gas buster handle on the BCM's because you end up having the same damn problem...the stress point is still on the roll pin.

You saw that too, huh? Ultimately, most of the stress is still on the roll pin, though the BCM does remove some of that stress by having the latch butt up against the inside of the charging handle.

Still, a nice charging handle is worth paying for. I have already worn through the stock CMMG that I upgraded with a PRI Big Latch--maybe 0.5mm is worn off of several outer surfaces. The PRI Gas Buster I bought for my other AR hasn't worn barely at all and is far easier to operate. It pulls straight back instead of "twisting" like the CMMG.