PDA

View Full Version : ar pistol???

paratroop
09-24-2009, 7:51 AM
ok spare me the "wrong forum" speech, and the "use the search feature" speech as well, this is where all the cool kids hang out anyways. im researching for a future ar pistol build, but really it doesnt matter. i saw a picture of the sig pistol with the side charging handle, and i thought that would look B. A. on an ar pistol. so does anybody know of anyone that makes a side charged ar upper? im sure it wouldnt be that difficult to modify yourself, has anyone done that?

WeekendWarrior
09-24-2009, 7:59 AM
WWRTW

fuegoslow
09-24-2009, 8:08 AM
Configuration is all different. The Bolt Carrier Group would have to be intensly modified. As would the gas system. You would have to redesign the upper receiver to allow for the ejection port to accomodate a charging handle, eliminating the brass deflector and possibly the forward assist. Much like an AK. The problem here is that you will no longer have an AR. It's an ambitious idea, but look into getting a manufacturer FFL and design away. Hope your Liability Insurance isn't too obscene.

Hopi
09-24-2009, 8:17 AM
Here you go.....Stripped uppers from ASA (http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_Flat_Top_Side_Charger_Upper_Receiver-38-12.html)

paratroop
09-24-2009, 8:17 AM
ahh. i see. i wasnt even thinking about the deflector or forward assist. dust cover would just get tossed though. but i really dont see why the gas system or the bcg would have to be "intensly modified".

fuegoslow
09-24-2009, 8:38 AM
The existing gas key is what the charging handle holds on to when you pull the bolt to the rear. If you want a side charging handle, where will it grip to Bolt to pull it back? The gas tube is already on top of the barrel. If a gas key is placed on the side, the gas tube would also have to be on the side. That's what I meant by re-design. The design is possible, in theory. Maybe you can draw something up. It is interesting, but the features would make it more like a Robinson XCR.

Hopi
09-24-2009, 8:42 AM
Overview
Flat Top Side Charger Receiver
Description
PATENT PENDING

At American Spirit Arms we're proud to offer our industry-leading Side Charger Receiver. This receiver was designed as one of the most highly desired options for the AR-15. By relocating the charging action to the side, as opposed to the rear of the receiver, the shooter can maintain a sight position and shooting position while charging the chamber with ammunition. Additionally, the charging handle on our side charger receiver does not reciprocate with the action of the bolt. This provides a much safer operation than the alternative.

* Forged Flat Top Side Charger Upper Receiver
* Mil-Std 1913 Rail
* Assembled with the highest quality mil-spec components
* Includes Modified Carrier with Gas Key
http://www.americanspiritarms.com/products/ASA_Flat_Top_Side_Charger_Upper_Receiver-38-12.html

http://www.americanspiritarms.com/images/products/preview/asa-ur-ftsc.jpg

http://www.tacticalrifles.net/images/fal_beauty.jpg

badicedog
09-24-2009, 8:44 AM
food for thought, Robinson Arms is releasing a xcr pistol soon.

fuegoslow
09-24-2009, 9:08 AM
Ah, that design by American Spirit Arms answers a lot of questions I had. Never thought about using my left hand to pull the handle. That's thinking outside the box. Good job!

paratroop
09-24-2009, 9:20 AM
i was thinking more like the one from fulton armory, but the left side cocking and non reciprocating handle is pretty slick. anybody ever use one of these?

Hopi
09-24-2009, 9:40 AM
Ah, that design by American Spirit Arms answers a lot of questions I had. Never thought about using my left hand to pull the handle. That's thinking outside the box. Good job!

Curiously, do you normally pull with your right hand on a standard upper config? Are you a lefty?

Hopi
09-24-2009, 9:47 AM
i was thinking more like the one from fulton armory, but the left side cocking and non reciprocating handle is pretty slick. anybody ever use one of these?

I've been hesitant because I've not seen that many reviews.

The price looks to cost less than standard gear:
ASA: $375
-Billet Upper
-BCG and Side Charger

Standard: $405
-Billet Upper $210
-BCG $160
-Charging handle $35

spdrcr
09-24-2009, 9:52 AM
Addax has done what you are looking for. He posted in the pistol pic thread in the Rifle Gallery -

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1770776&postcount=178
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=1786559&postcount=186

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/ADDAXSIDECHARGINGCASVGPU2.jpg

Vinz
09-24-2009, 9:54 AM
Don't forget this home brew reciprocating job.http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3064480#post3064480

I have the Alexander Arms which resembles the Fulton style but its on my bolt action AR. Fills my needs.

Left side pull would work much better for a pistola.

Nice pistol from Addax.

Vinz

CHS
09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
-Billet Upper
-BCG and Side Charger

It doesn't come with a BCG, it only comes with the carrier. You supply the bolt.

paratroop
09-24-2009, 10:35 AM
now that i think about it. i do remember seeing that pistol from addax, but i also think i remember him saying they arent going to produce those, maybe? either way i think thats definitly something id be interested in. thanks for your help fellas.

evollep3
09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
get the ASA one thats the upper I order a few weeks ago for my pistol build

Josh3239
09-24-2009, 12:24 PM
I use it, I like it. I like it a lot more than the standard top charging handle. At the price, atleast to me, it is a one time deal. If it was cheaper (it is ridiculously overpriced) all my ARs would have this upper.

Firstly, the logo and BCG deal seems to be a lottery. I received mine with an actual engraved ASA logo and a chrome bolt carrier with a nicly done carrier key staking job. Very slick and doesn't scream too loud. I have heard of others getting laser engraved ASA logos (yuck) and parked carriers. I thought Chris at Addax told me they sent him a complete chrome BCG. I'd find out what I am getting before ordering.

This system isn't really proprietary, all AR parts work fine. The carrier will need a small notch cut in it (see picture here (http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7349/p1030939i.jpg)) if you decide to change carriers. The upper last I heard I thought was being shipped with the M4 Enhanced Feedramps. Mine doesn't have them and I could care less, some like 'em and can do it themselves. Read up on the downsides before you do it! But like I said, I believe ASA now does M4 feed ramps.

It will arrive at your door with the charging handle assembly dissassembled. As far as I can tell, you cannot remove the dust cover (I wanted to swap it with a laser engraved one :(). The CH assembly is easy enough to put together, no instructions, but then again you cannot really screw it up. It only goes together one way. The billet receiver itself it no doubt, very nicely made and a brass deflector is built in (not that it is that big of a deal considering your rifle should be spitting out brass at apprx 4:00).

Some people are going to point to the slot in the receiver or the lack of a forward assist as a weak point. To me that is a joke. Don't even get me started on this stupid, useless appendage we call a forward assist, that is a major failure point if you ask me. As far as the slot goes, unless you plan on burying your rifle completely in mud I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't like crap doesn't get into "normal" ARs anyways (or anyother rifle for that matter).

The benefits are quite obvious, you can charge your weapon comfortable from any poisition, including while you still have your cheek on the stock and you don't have to remove your master grip (hand on pistol grip). This, coupled with the extended bolt catch makes locking the bolt back extremely easy - it takes less than a second. The CH removes a failure point (ironically it seems the "in thing" lately is to add failure points, but whatever floats your boat I say). Obviously, a right side charging handle would not have any of these advantages (one of the many reasons why I dislike AKs and would not suggest a FA).

Would I buy it again? If I was a rich man, sure would. As of now, I am not willing to put that much down on an upper again. Was it worth it that one time, absolutely. I'd love to put it in a carbine course and run it and have some real feedback, but on the other hand it is just an upper. How often does a stripped upper have problems?

I've been hesitant because I've not seen that many reviews.

-Billet Upper
-BCG and Side Charger

Standard: $405
-Billet Upper $210
-BCG $160
-Charging handle $35

fuegoslow
09-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Curiously, do you normally pull with your right hand on a standard upper config? Are you a lefty?

No, I'm not lefty. When I learned how to really shoot in the Marines, my left hand was always on the handguard supported by properly wrapping the sling around my left tricep and forearm. This was part of "snapping in" training. Normally, every right-handed Marine uses the right hand to pull the charging handle on a standard M16/AR. Some righties felt better with their left cheek on the stock, in which case they would use their left hand to pull. Kinda like a "switch hitter" in baseball.

Addax
09-24-2009, 2:00 PM
now that i think about it. i do remember seeing that pistol from addax, but i also think i remember him saying they arent going to produce those, maybe? either way i think thats definitly something id be interested in. thanks for your help fellas.

We do build them as custom jobs.;)

We have shipped a few 11.5 and 10.5" ATAC SBR GPU's with the side charging uppers.

Gives a call or email us: sales@adxtactical.com, and we can discuss these types of builds for AR Pistol owners.:D

We are not going to build the CASV model that is pictured.

Thanks,
Chris

Addax
09-24-2009, 2:03 PM
I use it, I like it. I like it a lot more than the standard top charging handle. At the price, atleast to me, it is a one time deal. If it was cheaper (it is ridiculously overpriced) all my ARs would have this upper.

Firstly, the logo and BCG deal seems to be a lottery. I received mine with an actual engraved ASA logo and a chrome bolt carrier with a nicly done carrier key staking job. Very slick and doesn't scream too loud. I have heard of others getting laser engraved ASA logos (yuck) and parked carriers. I thought Chris at Addax told me they sent him a complete chrome BCG. I'd find out what I am getting before ordering.

This system isn't really proprietary, all AR parts work fine. The carrier will need a small notch cut in it (see picture here (http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/7349/p1030939i.jpg)) if you decide to change carriers. The upper last I heard I thought was being shipped with the M4 Enhanced Feedramps. Mine doesn't have them and I could care less, some like 'em and can do it themselves. Read up on the downsides before you do it! But like I said, I believe ASA now does M4 feed ramps.

It will arrive at your door with the charging handle assembly dissassembled. As far as I can tell, you cannot remove the dust cover (I wanted to swap it with a laser engraved one :(). The CH assembly is easy enough to put together, no instructions, but then again you cannot really screw it up. It only goes together one way. The billet receiver itself it no doubt, very nicely made and a brass deflector is built in (not that it is that big of a deal considering your rifle should be spitting out brass at apprx 4:00).

Some people are going to point to the slot in the receiver or the lack of a forward assist as a weak point. To me that is a joke. Don't even get me started on this stupid, useless appendage we call a forward assist, that is a major failure point if you ask me. As far as the slot goes, unless you plan on burying your rifle completely in mud I wouldn't worry about it. It isn't like crap doesn't get into "normal" ARs anyways (or anyother rifle for that matter).

The benefits are quite obvious, you can charge your weapon comfortable from any poisition, including while you still have your cheek on the stock and you don't have to remove your master grip (hand on pistol grip). This, coupled with the extended bolt catch makes locking the bolt back extremely easy - it takes less than a second. The CH removes a failure point (ironically it seems the "in thing" lately is to add failure points, but whatever floats your boat I say). Obviously, a right side charging handle would not have any of these advantages (one of the many reasons why I dislike AKs and would not suggest a FA).

Would I buy it again? If I was a rich man, sure would. As of now, I am not willing to put that much down on an upper again. Was it worth it that one time, absolutely. I'd love to put it in a carbine course and run it and have some real feedback, but on the other hand it is just an upper. How often does a stripped upper have problems?

We now get these uppers minus the engraving.

ASA ships them to us in the white, and we have these specific uppers Cerakoted, and the bolt carrier groups for these uppers are Microslicked.

IsaacGlass
09-24-2009, 2:11 PM
Having a problem resolving WWW.ADDAXTACTICAL.COM (http://www.addaxtactical.com/) ?? Possible DNS changes??

Addax
09-24-2009, 2:17 PM
Having a problem resolving WWW.ADDAXTACTICAL.COM (http://www.addaxtactical.com/) ?? Possible DNS changes??

The link works for me.

We are getting ready to make some changes etc. soon, but I don't think that would effect the links or DNS?

Hopi
09-24-2009, 2:41 PM

+1...

IsaacGlass
09-24-2009, 2:48 PM
The link works for me.

We are getting ready to make some changes etc. soon, but I don't think that would effect the links or DNS?

AT&T DNS is acting up again!!! :mad: