PDA

View Full Version : At what point does you lower need a mag lock?

Vin496
09-24-2009, 7:46 AM
I know some dealers will allow you to buy a stripped lower while others will require that a BB/prince 50 be attached before the lower leaves.

If you are allowed to purchase a completely stripped lower at what point do you have to attach a locking device? Can you build the lower and as long as it isn't attached to an upper is it ok to not have a mag lock? Or would it be required once the trigger components are installed and the lower is able to fire?

grahlaika
09-24-2009, 8:10 AM
If you lower is an empty shell, then I don't think you need a BB (although it's wise to have one). It's just a non-firing piece of metal at that point. If it's built up and ready to fire when you put an upper on it, you'll definitely want a BB on it even though it's not a complete rifle.

I'm not a lawyer, so the above is just my opinion. Others will want to chime in. Personally I take the safe option - no need to take any un-necessary risks in this state with anything that can be deemed an AW by LEOs and DAs.

PIRATE14
09-24-2009, 8:16 AM
Well not until you put a functional upper on a complete lwr assembly would you absolutely need a mag lok of some type......before you put them together....

FFLs all have different policies......it's their shop....

reidnez
09-24-2009, 8:31 AM
Legally, you do not have to install a BB until an upper receiver is attached to the rifle.

Dealers, on the other hand, have their own policies. I had one FFL politely tell me not to remove the magazine from a Raddlock-equipped AK I was picking up (I was having difficulty putting it in my case.) I complied even though I knew he was incorrect, because it was his shop and I didn't feel it was worth arguing over.

In any case, most of the OLL's I have seen for sale in CA are either completely stripped, or already have a BB installed. It's not that common to find a complete lower without a BB, though it's technically not illegal I think most people (FFL's in particular) just don't want to tempt fate.

Flying Bones
09-24-2009, 8:54 AM
Legally, you do not have to install a BB until an upper receiver is attached to the rifle.

Perfect reason for not needing a BB is a rimfire .22lr upper.

Greg-Dawg
09-24-2009, 9:28 AM
A complete AR15 will need mag lock.

CHS
09-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Everyone keeps saying complete, without adding the kicker: SEMIAUTOMATIC AND CENTERFIRE.

A lower must have a magazine lock installed only right before you install a SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE upper on it.

Bolt-action uppers don't require a maglock and rimfire uppers do not require a maglock.

If you have a .22lr conversion kit in a standard 5.56 upper, you can also remove your maglock during the time that the conversion kit is installed. This is a perfect reason to get a Raddlock-AR or a bullet button wrench.

MasterYong
09-24-2009, 11:08 AM
When I'm building an AR, I like to add the BB just before I add any evil features, just in case (although I realize this may not be necessary). So just before I put on the PG I put on the BB.

technique
09-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Lowers don't need BB (or other compliant device) until you are ready to put an upper on and make it a complete functioning weapon. (so put it on just before the upper goes on) Though we still abide by federal constructive possession laws in regard to NFA items, the feds nor Ca have constructive possession laws regarding AWs.

pwall
09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
bdsmchs has it. The point at which you need to install a mag lock is before the rifle becomes centerfire and semiautomatic. (assuming you have evil features.)

BillyGoatMachine
09-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Well not until you put a functional upper on a complete lwr assembly would you absolutely need a mag lok of some type......before you put them together....

FFLs all have different policies......it's their shop....

This^^^^

One question has been nagging me, "When a 5.56 10 round mag is inserted into a completed lower receiver with standard mag release, and with evil features(pistol grip, collapsable stock), does it then become a semiautomatic centerfire rifle and therefore need a BB?" This is without a centerfire upper attached to it.

CHS
09-24-2009, 12:08 PM
This^^^^

One question has been nagging me, "When a 5.56 10 round mag is inserted into a completed lower receiver with standard mag release, and with evil features(pistol grip, collapsable stock), does it then become a semiautomatic centerfire rifle and therefore need a BB?" This is without a centerfire upper attached to it.

No.

Why would it be a semi-automatic centerfire rifle without the upper? What if you were installing a Tubb bolt-action upper on it? You could even put a 30rd'er in it with a standard mag release and the evil dreaded pistol grip.

shark92651
09-24-2009, 1:48 PM
:iagree: bdsmchs speaks the truth.

BillyGoatMachine
09-24-2009, 2:04 PM
No.

Why would it be a semi-automatic centerfire rifle without the upper? What if you were installing a Tubb bolt-action upper on it? You could even put a 30rd'er in it with a standard mag release and the evil dreaded pistol grip.

Thank you:)

bohoki
09-24-2009, 2:58 PM
i would say generally you need a magazine lock attached only moments before attaching an autoloading centerfire upper

more specifically if the lower has a pistolgrip/thumbholestock and the upper has a flashhider or other assault weapon qualifiers

you shouldnt need one if you are buying a complete lower just say you have a rimfire upper at home you are going to put on it

swerv512
09-24-2009, 4:16 PM
put the mag-lock on before any evil (or potentially evil) features... PERIOD!
if there are no evil features or you intend to build a non-centerfire or semi-auto- you dont need any mag-locking devices

CHS
09-24-2009, 4:28 PM
put the mag-lock on before any evil (or potentially evil) features... PERIOD!

There are no "evil features" until and unless the gun as a whole becomes semi-automatic and centerfire.

A pistol grip and detachable magazine is an evil feature combo, but ONLY when mated with a centerfire semi-automatic upper. A rimfire semi-auto is exempted. As is a centerfire bolt-action.

So stop with the FUD.

swerv512
09-24-2009, 4:44 PM
There are no "evil features" until and unless the gun as a whole becomes semi-automatic and centerfire.

A pistol grip and detachable magazine is an evil feature combo, but ONLY when mated with a centerfire semi-automatic upper. A rimfire semi-auto is exempted. As is a centerfire bolt-action.

So stop with the FUD.

that's why i said (or better-meant) by potentially evil...
you just need to read my mind better...:TFH: