PDA

View Full Version : New to the AR platform

SIGman Freud
09-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Hey all,

As the title of this thread declares......I'm an AR newbie. I want to get one such rifle before pending legislation toward restrictions of firearms and ammo makes it harder for the rest of us law-abiding, responsible citizens of California.

*Ahem
Anyways, I am interested in checking out the CMMG Midlength variant of the AR15 because it meets my qualifications and reasons for obtaining such a rifle: sturdy, cost-effective, and reliable enough. I say reliable enough because, honestly, I want something I can plink with, have fun with, and not break the bank. I've read/heard good things about the CMMG products (lowers and uppers), and I understand they are relatively new to making complete rifle builds. I only hope CMMG rifles are even legal in CA. My question, therefore, is twofold: What is the consensus around here about the CMMG product line, and what gun store in the Sacramento/Central Valley region has been known to carry them?

Jicko
09-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Follow the link in my signature.

Acorn556
09-24-2009, 4:02 AM
Get a Sig 556 and keep the name alive.

Don't fall into the hype that "Pending legislation" is going to end the world. That scare tactic made a lot of people a lot of money between November and about May. Then people realized they needed the money not the gun and couldn't sell them for what they paid.

Check that link as well as the AW Flow Chart up top. That will tell you what's legal and what's not. You could also look at DPMS, Rock River, and S&W for reliable guns. I don't care what people say about DPMS mine works every time and hit 400 yard 8" steel last weekend. Had witnesses too.

SIGman Freud
09-24-2009, 4:25 PM
Get a Sig 556 and keep the name alive.

Don't fall into the hype that "Pending legislation" is going to end the world. That scare tactic made a lot of people a lot of money between November and about May. Then people realized they needed the money not the gun and couldn't sell them for what they paid.

Check that link as well as the AW Flow Chart up top. That will tell you what's legal and what's not. You could also look at DPMS, Rock River, and S&W for reliable guns. I don't care what people say about DPMS mine works every time and hit 400 yard 8" steel last weekend. Had witnesses too.

Thanks Acorn556, but as much as I wouldn't mind one, I think the 556 is a bit out of my price range. From what I have checked at local gun shops, they are running easily past $1600, and that's the basic, bare-bones set up if I recall correctly.

I take it you don't own the DPMS Panther series, right? ;) From YouTube reviews and magazines, it looks like a nice rifle. But, from the majority of gun snobs I've talked to, they said to buy a Noveske or an LWRC. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've looked at Rock River and Stag Arms, as well. I would like a quality, entry-level rifle that allows for upgrades and accessories. So, even though I stated I was seriously interested in the CMMG midlength type, I am still open to other suggestions. Daniel Defense, LMT, and BCM, I've heard great things about as well.

I've looked at the AW flow chart. Thanks Acorn and Jicko. When I have some more time, I will look through the rest of Jicko's link.

technique
09-24-2009, 4:30 PM
Daniel Defense, LMT, and BCM, I've heard great things about as well.

I've looked at the AW flow chart. Thanks Acorn and Jicko. When I have some more time, I will look through the rest of Jicko's link.

You have got it right there. You will be happy with any of those.

A complete Daniel Defense is a quality gun all around...and a good price to boot!

If you really want a middy, BCM is there for you!!!

technique
09-24-2009, 4:32 PM
I take it you don't own the DPMS Panther series, right? ;) From YouTube reviews and magazines, it looks like a nice rifle. But, from the majority of gun snobs I've talked to, they said to buy a Noveske or an LWRC. :rolleyes:

Are you in Ca? If so, the Panther is a no go anyway (IIRC). Noveskes are quality depending on make or model....Not a value.

djleisure
09-24-2009, 4:39 PM
To answer your question: yes, a CMMG mid-length is a great value and a very good upper. I have had one for awhile now and it runs flawlessly. You don't need to break the bank for an AR that fits your requirements. Get a reasonably priced one and a ton of ammo and enjoy!

crob
09-24-2009, 4:55 PM
My question, therefore, is twofold: What is the consensus around here about the CMMG product line, and what gun store in the Sacramento/Central Valley region has been known to carry them?

I don't have any experience and therefore no opinion on the CMMG, as I am new to the AR world as well. I do have an answer for your second question though. I have been dealing with Ryan at JK Supply in Ione and have nothing but good things to say about dealing with him. Friendly guy and has quick answers to all my questions, even those I probably should know already. I am sure there are many good dealers in the area, but I know Ryan is a good guy to deal with. I suggest you give him a call or shoot him an e-mail with with whatever questions you may have. Good luck!

Bowser
09-24-2009, 5:11 PM
Get a Daniel Defense complete AR. Much higher quality than CMMG. You get a $250 rebate towards Daniel Defense products with the purchase of one, so you basically get a free rail system.

send it
09-24-2009, 5:36 PM
i have the smith and wesson 15t and it is an awesome weapon. i recommend any of there rifles

Gator Monroe
09-24-2009, 5:38 PM
Build a Retro AR/M16A1 (603) build (see Retro AR/M16 section of ar15.com

technique
09-24-2009, 5:52 PM
Build a Retro AR/M16A1 (603) build (see Retro AR/M16 section of ar15.com

Hey...when did you get back? Her come the "retro" posts:D Everyone should own a retro.

SIGman Freud
09-24-2009, 9:07 PM
Get a Daniel Defense complete AR. Much higher quality than CMMG. You get a $250 rebate towards Daniel Defense products with the purchase of one, so you basically get a free rail system.

I think the DD M4 Carbine might be out of my price range, but the DDXV is quite nice and a little easier for me to digest the $1199 price tag.

Bowser
09-24-2009, 9:14 PM
http://www.riflegear.com/p-585-daniel-defense-xv.aspx

you still get the rebate.

Take a look at this chart as a basic comparison of M4 carbines. The DD's are ranked very high.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA

SIGman Freud
09-24-2009, 9:20 PM
http://www.riflegear.com/p-585-daniel-defense-xv.aspx

you still get the rebate.

Take a look at this chart as a basic comparison of M4 carbines. The DD's are ranked very high.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA

Nice! Thanks!

Has anyone shot one of these?

Acorn556
09-25-2009, 5:11 AM
JK Supply has lowers for $95 and a lpk could run you about $60 from them (idk). Add a setock and you're probably looking at a good lower for under $300. All you'd need then is the complete upper which could run you $600 or less. Complete rifle for under $1k

If the gun snobs are telling you brands you KNOW they are out of your price range. Noveskes are like $2k, LMTs are pretty $$ and DD as you saw are up there too. For that price range you could get a Colt 6940.

I forget I can buy guns in Nevada so California prices make me laugh. I walked into a gunshop with about 6 different Sig rifles for under $1600.

Elsinore
09-25-2009, 9:05 AM
I have a CMMG Midlength that I put together last May. All CMMG parts. The rifle functions flawlessly and I can't say enough about the finish.

shark92651
09-25-2009, 9:10 AM
Nice! Thanks!

Has anyone shot one of these?

Yep :D They are one of the best deals you can get right now and the quality is top-notch.