PDA

View Full Version : Got to shoot on a police simulator

audiophil2
09-23-2009, 11:33 PM
While taking my AZ CCW class the instructor allowed us to spend some time on the police video simulator. The scenario I was up against was me walking into my sisters house and my little niece saying her dad was about to shoot her mom. I then see a male holding a gun to a womans head about to shoot. I yelled "Stop! Stop!" and he blew her brains out. He then turned the gun on me and I put 3 shots into him and dropped him.

It was the first time I did this so my verbage and reaction was wrong. I hesitated because it was supposed to be my brother about to shoot his wife. I also hesitated because I was afraid I would shoot the wife. I got extreme tunnel vision and could only focus on his gun. I never saw my sights or even the training Glock I was holding when I shot him.

I definately need more training.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-24-2009, 3:56 AM
What happens in the simulator if you shoot the guy before he shoots his wife?

Adehtla
09-24-2009, 5:01 AM
This is a great scenario at its roots. If I were asked this in an oral board interview, I'd shoot. No questions, no commands, just trigger.

What the machine is trying to teach you is that there are times when you don't have time to talk. In those situations the right action is action itself. You're in a race, and you have to beat him to the trigger.

audiophil2
09-24-2009, 9:56 AM
To respond to both posts, yes, I was supposed to shoot immediately. There each student got one scenario. Other scenerio's were:
Walking to car in parking garage and someone is breaking in then yelling "What do you want?."
Response: Turn around and leave. No weapon was drawn by bad guy.

Walking to car and BG approaches with hand on what could be IWB gun. BG wants to carjack.
Response: Let him steal car. No gun was drawn.
(AZ law allows you to shoot but it's way cheaper to get a new car.)

Walk into bank and BG has gun pointing at teller.
Response: Shoot BG.
Other BG from second floor immediately opens fire on you with FA rifle, ala HEAT.
Response: Always look for the +1 factor. BG usually work in pairs. Most cops fail this exercise because BG is at least 50 feet away.

You walk into restaurant where wife and kids are already dining. As you enter you see BG commiting strong armed robbery. Patrons have hands up.
Response: Normally it would be flee but since family is inside you must protect them. You shoot the BG.
Response: You miss the +1 factor of female standing to the side with arms down. She is also a BG and open fires. You plug her because she is slow. Two BG's down.

There are so many scenario's and scenario's of scenerio's on when you can and cannot use deadly force. The instructor I had charges $40/hr for one person or $50/hr for two. The wife and I are going to get as much time in as possible along with taking advanced handgun courses.

The great part is you get to practice verbage to a target that responds unlike a paper target. No ammo involved makes it cheaper but you lose the recoil and muzzleflash. The noise is generated via computer on LOUD speakers.

redcliff
09-24-2009, 9:46 PM
Sounds like a great learning experience. Center Masss Firearms in Henderson, NV has the PRIsim system that combines similar encounters with live fire onto the screen.

randy
09-30-2009, 2:37 AM
Andrews Int'l in Burbank has a FATS system you can rent time on I believe. Ask for Tim Kelly.

1923mack
09-30-2009, 7:16 AM
Good question for non law enforcement.