View Full Version : 91/30 PU from J&G?

09-23-2009, 7:25 PM
I'm kinda thinking about getting a Russian 91/30 PU. I already have a PU clone built off a Finnish 91/30, which I must say, is pretty sweet even though there is nothing original about it. I see that J&G sales has Russian 91/30 PU with new model scopes(though they seem to look more like the original ones than most of the aftermarket ones I've seen).

I was wondering if anyone knew if these new scopes are any good optically. Also, are the rifles real PU models with new scopes or are they random 91/30s that got drilled for mounts?

While I'd love a real, original PU, I'm not willing to pony up the big bucks for one, so this would be the compromise. Mostly I'm looking for a good shooter with stable optics to compliment my Finnish clone.

09-23-2009, 7:32 PM
Random 91/30's that got drilled for mounts. I guess accuracy would kinda be a crapshoot on these.

09-23-2009, 7:37 PM
Kinda figured. Well, that's money that could go to something else then.

09-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Expect to pay double that for a real PU sniper. For $450, it's probably a Century Arms repro PU. Some of the Century repros I have seen, have had aluminum scope mounts. An Aluminum mount is more likely to crack and break than a proper steel mount. Last year, I replaced a snapped PU mount with a russian made steel PU mount. The drill and tapped holes on the Century builds do not line up with the russian mounts.

09-24-2009, 7:48 AM
Good to know about the aluminum mounts. The ad says that they are steel. I've decided to pass at this time. I'm sure I'll be able to find one locally so I can inspect it before purchase.

I don't mind that it's not a real PU, but I do want one that'll shoot nicely.