PDA

View Full Version : Buying a BCG and CH seperately???

Nate74
09-23-2009, 7:31 PM
I found a good deal on a Bushmaster Varmint upper but it's coming without a BCG and CH. My last two build, the uppers came complete ie, with BCG and CH.

So what do I need to consider and look for? Should I try to find a Bushmaster BCH or will a Stag/RRA/CMMG work?

Thanks in advance!

technique
09-23-2009, 7:39 PM
Just get a good one....if the upper is used, make sure to check headspace if you can....99% of the time that is unnecessary.

yellowfin
09-23-2009, 7:41 PM
I'm told BCM makes some of the best BCG's and charging handles.

Nate74
09-23-2009, 7:43 PM
Just get a good one....if the upper is used, make sure to check headspace if you can....99% of the time that is unnecessary.

Um... ok. I'm not confused. Does the headspace pertain to teh bolt carrier? As for a "good one" I'll check out Bravo Company.

technique
09-23-2009, 7:54 PM
Well yeah, if your upper doesn't come with one tested for fit with that barrel at the factory...its something to think about. Like I said, its 99% of the time unnecessary. If you know someone in your area with a gauge, check it. If not, do what I do....load up, look away, pull the trigger! :D

BCM has a fine BCG. Can't go wrong.

Nate74
09-23-2009, 7:58 PM
If not, do what I do....load up, look away, pull the trigger! :D

Nice!

Looks like BCM is out of stock on every single BCG...

This upper supposedly has less than 100 rounds through it but maybe a trip to a gunsmith might be worth it.

technique
09-23-2009, 8:03 PM
Go to Randalls house on a Thursday night....

Wayneard3413
09-23-2009, 8:04 PM
And don't skimp on your CH either... Not all parts are "the same"

gunsnrovers
09-23-2009, 8:07 PM
You can pick up a BCM or a DD BCG and the new BCM Gunfighter CH from G&R Tactical.

Barney Gumble
09-23-2009, 8:08 PM
If BCM is out of stock get the Daniel Defense BCG from PK Firearms http://pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/26/46

Nate74
09-23-2009, 8:12 PM

:confused:

If BCM is out of stock get the Daniel Defense BCG from PK Firearms http://pkfirearms.com/content/1/20/26/46

Sweet! Not a bad price either. Thanks.

technique
09-23-2009, 8:15 PM
Randall = AR15barrels....he's is in West LA (?).....all I remember is he lives by a strip joint you can see from the freeway...the rest is a blur from there.

Nate74
09-23-2009, 8:16 PM
Randall = AR15barrels....he's is in West LA (?).....all I remember is he lives by a strip joint you can see from the freeway...the rest is a blur from there.

:D:D:D You're killin' me. Very cool.

I think once all parts are in hand, I may get it over to a gunsmith for a quick check out.

djleisure
09-23-2009, 8:22 PM
:D:D:D You're killin' me. Very cool.

I think once all parts are in hand, I may get it over to a gunsmith for a quick check out.
That's actually what he means by "go to Randall's" - he's a very competent AR gunsmith (if not a little surly at times... sometimes?... all the time?) so you should contact him to check it out for you if you are really concerned...

technique
09-23-2009, 8:22 PM
Ar15barrels probly has the gauges and can check it out for you...Thursdays are (if I'm not mistaken) his open shop night. Should be quick and painless..he knows his stuff.

Nate74
09-23-2009, 8:30 PM
Awesome. Once I get it all assembled (and get some singles for the strip club), I'll make it up there.

Thanks all!

ar15barrels
09-23-2009, 10:39 PM

More people would know where I was if you said I was about a mile down the street from Rettings. ;)

That's actually what he means by "go to Randall's" - he's a very competent AR gunsmith (if not a little surly at times... sometimes?... all the time?) so you should contact him to check it out for you if you are really concerned...

I'm never surly.
Some people just mistake my posts for that due to my lack of smiley usage.

DirtRacer151
09-23-2009, 10:55 PM

Damn... why did i miss it? I guess i need an excuse to go have Randall do some more work for me soon!

pacrimguru
09-24-2009, 1:53 AM

ah, home away from home. :o

Acorn556
09-24-2009, 5:08 AM
I wouldn't worry about getting it checked. If you're buying quality parts you should be fine. I don't know the condition of the upper but I bought my upper, barrel, bcg and ch from different people and the bcg was the only thing that was new. I never got it checked and it eats what I feed it.

ar15barrels
09-24-2009, 8:10 AM
I wouldn't worry about getting it checked. If you're buying quality parts you should be fine. I don't know the condition of the upper but I bought my upper, barrel, bcg and ch from different people and the bcg was the only thing that was new. I never got it checked and it eats what I feed it.

So basically, you don't know if it's within spec or not, but because it has not had problems, you don't care.

Do you ever check your oil or tire pressure or do you just wait for those to be a problem too?

Acorn556
09-24-2009, 9:49 AM
So basically, you don't know if it's within spec or not, but because it has not had problems, you don't care.

Yup.

Do you ever check your oil or tire pressure

Nope

or do you just wait for those to be a problem too?

Yup

Gator Monroe
09-24-2009, 9:52 AM

Do you ever check your oil or tire pressure or do you just wait for those to be a problem too?

Should someone (AR owner /user) do a Go/No go check on their weapon after every 1000 rounds or so ??????????????:confused:

kamagong
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM

Ah, 4play, I have fond memories. An integral part of the college experience.

technique
09-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Ah, 4play, I have fond memories. An integral part of the college experience.

THATS IT!!!! thats the name of the place.....my buddy was screaming "GET OFF RIGHT HERE....LOOK!!!!"

:rolleyes: we cut across every lane from the fast lane and off the exit in the nick of time....:D

ar15barrels
09-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Should someone (AR owner /user) do a Go/No go check on their weapon after every 1000 rounds or so ??????????????:confused:

The military armorer's manual only calls for a field gauge.
It's once a year or every 2000 rounds (have to check on this count), which ever comes first.

ar15barrels
09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
THATS IT!!!! thats the name of the place.....my buddy was screaming "GET OFF RIGHT HERE....LOOK!!!!"

I think the 4play sign even says "get off right here"...

Acorn556
09-24-2009, 8:51 PM
I think the 4play sign even says "get off right here"...

I'll have to check this out next time I drive down south. Maybe check out the infamous Angles range.

Justintoxicated
09-24-2009, 9:00 PM
I have a nice YM N/M M16 Chrome BCG for sale (that has been staked as well) if you want something real nice. It was headspaced checked in several uppers but has never been fired, brand new still!

This one right here.
http://www.newriverarms.net/product-info.php?pid110.html

Nate74
09-25-2009, 4:59 PM
BTW, here's the upper I got. Should be here about the same time the OLL gets out of 10-day jail.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=119&t=710729

mds2004
09-25-2009, 5:10 PM
With only 50 rounds fired through the new barrel and having a new bolt will be no problem with headspace. It wont hurt to double check but Id be darned if it didnt work.

Usually the problem is with used bolts, and most of the time that is still ok.

Nate74
09-25-2009, 5:58 PM
With only 50 rounds fired through the new barrel and having a new bolt will be no problem with headspace. It wont hurt to double check but Id be darned if it didnt work.

Usually the problem is with used bolts, and most of the time that is still ok.

That's what I'm thinking, but after a few of the comments here, I figure a trip to see a local gunsmith can't hurt...

mds2004
09-25-2009, 6:05 PM
That's what I'm thinking, but after a few of the comments here, I figure a trip to see a local gunsmith can't hurt...

Ya, hopefully they charge less for you than they do up here. $50 just to check it! Thank God for nice Calgunners who help others out. Because of foxtrotuniformlima I never had to spend the $50.

fcr
09-26-2009, 9:21 AM
Why do uppers often get sold without the CH/BCG, just curious.
Also 4Play is a landmark, Historical site so to speak, treat it with respect guys.

Took mine to "Riflegear" and they checked headspace for me gratis.

Nate74
09-26-2009, 9:29 AM
Why do uppers often get sold without the CH/BCG, just curious.

I'd never given it much thought until now but yeah, it is curious.