PDA

View Full Version : AR upper questions

Rob Roy
09-23-2009, 6:14 PM
What is important when buying an upper? I don't want to spend too much money on something that is overkill. My intension is to have something reliable and accurate enough.

technique
09-23-2009, 6:18 PM
Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Saber
LMT

All good values....all quality

Higher up the $$$ scale

Colt <--nothing better
Noveske <---get a basic

Chrome lined is probly accurate enough vs. Stainless steel...(Ihaven't looked recently at all but SS in the past has been a bit more pricey).

WHAT DO YOU INTEND TO DO WITH THIS UPPER? target? compete? train?

evollep3
09-23-2009, 6:31 PM
Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Saber
LMT

Higher up the $$$ scale

Colt <--nothing better
Noveske <---get a basic

Chrome lined is probly accurate enough vs. Stainless steel...(Ihaven't looked recently at all but SS in the past has been a bit more pricey).

What he said but depending what you are doing and price point Daniel defense and CMMG both are great choices

Rob Roy
09-23-2009, 6:39 PM
Daniel Defense
Bravo Company
Saber
LMT

Higher up the $$$ scale

Colt <--nothing better
Noveske <---get a basic

Mostly range use. I intend to shoot off-hand a lot, so I am trying to go as light as possible. Also what about barrel twist? Is it recommended to get a a rail or regular forend? Fixed or flip up front sight? Is it easy to replace fixed front sight and forend?

Darklyte27
09-23-2009, 6:43 PM
what is important is not going over your budget! haha
what is important is to have enough $ for ammo too.

technique
09-23-2009, 6:49 PM
It semi easy to replace the FS, but some people have issues.

Twist is on you...

1/9 good for 45-62gr ammo (some can shoot heavier just fine)
1/7 good for 55-69gr ammo (some shoot heavier fine...mine shoots well up to 75gr.)
1/8 is for heavy loads and good for long range accuracy as well as short barrels too...like 10-12.5in

So pick based on what ammo you will use...most shooters are good with a 1/9...

If you want a rail get one, or a tube...Free float will increase accuracy.

Sights are a preference thing...I like battle rifles, fixed FS are my thing. Nothing more reliable than a fixed FS.

If you like rail mounted flip ups...fine. Just remember any "flex" in the rail they are mounted on will put you off your mark. Close range it may be less than an inch, at 1000yards that could be a whole foot off.

h2o4lf
09-23-2009, 7:34 PM
Here are a few more factors
M4 feed ramps
carbine, middy, or rifle length gas system.
flattop or carry handle
some come w/bolt and ch some don't
barrel length
light, medium, heavy weight barrel
I hope this helps

K57
09-23-2009, 7:53 PM
Buy what you like, shoot it and you will love it, if you are new to the sport it won matter ;)

sholling
09-23-2009, 8:06 PM
If you're looking for absolute reliability then it's hard to go wrong with a Bravo Company (BCM) midlength upper and bolt carrier group. But you're looking at about $480 for the upper, $160 for the bolt carrier group, and whatever you want to spend on a handguard. If you can't afford a rail then settle for handguard. Bravo Company and G&R Tactical are good sources for BCM parts.

Rob Roy
09-23-2009, 9:11 PM
Are Spikes uppers good?