PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors, whats the deal?

Phireglass
09-23-2009, 5:14 PM
Aight I know a can out here in Cali is a big no no:(, but im thinkin about moving to AZ and i was just wondering.. whats the deal? can you have em? any special requirements? (Im not military or police or anything) its just that on the property I may be moving to we can shoot but its kinda close to the neighbors and I dont wanna be driving them crazy every weekend shooting my AR. Anyone have any knowledge or experience?

technique
09-23-2009, 5:17 PM
You can make one on a Form 1 and pay $200 for the tax stamp. You must have the stamp of approval in hand BEFORE you make it.

Or you can buy from a private party through a dealer, or you can buy one from a dealer....I can't remember it thats a form 3 or 4. But anyway you look at it, you still pay the Feds $200 for the tax stamp, and dealer fees if you go through a dealer.

The wait is 3-6 mo for approval.

BlackReef
09-23-2009, 5:19 PM
If you are a resident of Arizona (or any other free state), you CAN legally own a Suppressor with the purchase of a Tax Stamp. I don't know the details of it, but it doesn't sound like it is too difficult to do. I've thought about moving to AZ just for the NFA goodies. SBR AR-15 + Suppressor = nice.

BlackReef
09-23-2009, 5:21 PM
You can make one on a Form 1 and pay $200 for the tax stamp. You must have the stamp of approval in hand BEFORE you make it.

Or you can buy from a private party through a dealer, or you can buy one from a dealer....I can't remember it thats a form 3 or 4. But anyway you look at it, you still pay the Feds $200 for the tax stamp, and dealer fees if you go through a dealer.

The wait is 3-6 mo for approval.

If you wanted to get multiple NFA items (Suppressor, SBR, etc.) do you have to submit the forms one at a time? (like a CA Handgun DROS) or can you put them all in at once and purchase multiple NFA items at once?

technique
09-23-2009, 5:21 PM
Oh, by the way....where ever you move in AZ you need the sign off of CLEO (chief law enforcement officer), finger prints, and photo for the form 1.

Or-

Get a living revocable trust and skip the above.

technique
09-23-2009, 5:24 PM
If you wanted to get multiple NFA items (Suppressor, SBR, etc.) do you have to submit the forms one at a time? (like a CA Handgun DROS) or can you put them all in at once and purchase multiple NFA items at once?

A form for each item, $200 for each item.

If you buy a machinegun...Say a 20in colt M16, If I'm not mistaken....you don't need to ask or be approved to SBR it...you can just do it. (thats what I think any way, from what I have read.)

MAKE SURE YOU PRINT ALL FORMS DOUBLE SIDED...thats all the feds take.

Phireglass
09-23-2009, 5:31 PM
Ok, I've heard that in i think NV you need a sheriff's approval or something, dont ask where i heard it i think its bs, but idk- so on these forms is it just registration paperwork/filing and a fee or do i need certain qualifications?

Phireglass
09-23-2009, 5:32 PM
Wow, my question was answered before i even had time to post haha

Phireglass
09-23-2009, 5:35 PM
Ok, so this CLEO approval, do they just give em out? Is there any sort of investigation/ background check?

technique
09-23-2009, 5:38 PM
the investigation/background is done after the sign off, by the Feds.

If CLEO of where you move to will not sign off....go the trust route, you can still have them even if the CLEO will not sign so long as (and AZ is) the state is shall issue.

Some CLEOs are just dicks....like our sheriffs here that wont do CCWs.

Phireglass
09-23-2009, 5:49 PM
Alright thats pretty legit, if I end up movin out there I will update y'all on the results, I wonder if anyone heres tried it with any success

technique
09-23-2009, 5:55 PM
Alright thats pretty legit, if I end up movin out there I will update y'all on the results, I wonder if anyone heres tried it with any success

Worst case...you don't move. If you are motivated enough get an FFL 07/SOT 2 here in Ca. Make and play with cans here...Some of the finest cans made are made right here.

Aircraft Armament
OPS inc <---US/Canadian contracts. Some of the finest cans I have ever had the pleasure of playing with.
Surefire

Phireglass
09-23-2009, 6:02 PM
technique, I feels! and if that weenie in the white house dosen't get too crazy I will, just gotta wait a year and a half until im 21