PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get a pivot/takedown pin set that IS actually .250?

missiontrails
09-23-2009, 4:52 PM
Just received my KNS "precision" push button pin set, advertised as .250, and one is .2470 and the other is .2475. Who actually sells .250?

technique
09-23-2009, 5:00 PM
Whats the issue with the .2475? Why do you NEED .250?

Better question yet....who measures that ****? LOL

missiontrails
09-23-2009, 5:12 PM

Put on your seatbelts, here we go... A little slop in upper and lower, I know, there is no functional issue with that. My current pins are undersized, and I figured for a few bucks I could get pins of the .250 diameter and tighten it. I have a .250 takedown pin, but I don't know which of my past parts kit it came out of, but when I install it in the pivot pin possition, the upper receiver no longer rocks. I just want a good pair. I am not into red marshmallows in the lower, or black o-rings on the upper, and I figured if I snugged things up with only necessary parts, I could justify it. I'm measuring all kinds of s__t with my caliper, hell, my "milspec" receiver extension is 1.15.

DirtRacer151
09-23-2009, 5:12 PM

LOL thats what i was thinking

CHS
09-23-2009, 5:13 PM
Put on your seatbelts, here we go... A little slop in upper and lower, I know, there is no functional issue with that. My current pins are undersized, and I figured for a few bucks I could get pins of the .250 diameter and tighten it. I have a .250 takedown pin, but I don't know which of my past parts kit it came out of, but when I install it in the pivot pin possition, the upper receiver no longer rocks. I just want a good pair. I am not into red marshmallows in the lower, or black o-rings on the upper, and I figured if I snugged things up with only necessary parts, I could justify it. I'm measuring all kinds of s__t with my caliper, hell, my "milspec" receiver extension is 1.15.

That slop *IS* "milspec". It's supposed to be there.

technique
09-23-2009, 5:19 PM
Cool, I was just curious.....

missiontrails
09-23-2009, 5:46 PM
That slop *IS* "milspec". It's supposed to be there.

Milspec does not mean "best." I was shooting for better.

technique
09-23-2009, 6:04 PM
have you tried the tactical innovations pins?

evollep3
09-23-2009, 6:07 PM
i got a cheaper solution its called accuwedge its work every punny seriously

tomd1584
09-23-2009, 6:11 PM
i hope you find what you're looking for. I really do. but man, with all the problems/issues you've had with your rifle i feel like you're not even going to want to shoot it once everything is "perfect". I say you quit worrying about this stuff and just shoot the crap out of it.

This was not meant to be bashing on you at all, just want you to enjoy your rifle.

-Tom

missiontrails
09-23-2009, 6:12 PM
have you tried the tactical innovations pins?

I have not, but I have seen those. This is all just an experiment anyways.

ocabj
09-23-2009, 6:14 PM
Even if you got a perfect .250" pin and it fits exactly with no slop, there will be slop after 500 rounds or so until you buy new front and rear take down pins again.

technique
09-23-2009, 6:23 PM
I have caulked a charging handle before....it would be super ghetto to caulk the inside of the receiver around the holes....just a thought though.

evollep3
09-23-2009, 6:27 PM
I have caulked a charging handle before....it would be super ghetto to caulk the inside of the receiver around the holes....just a thought though.

? i gotta ask why

technique
09-23-2009, 6:28 PM
? i gotta ask why

Poor mans PRI gas buster;)

evollep3
09-23-2009, 6:29 PM

interesting have you tried the accuwedge its cheap no chaulk needed for the receiver when i bring my parts to you i will bring you one to try out

tomd1584
09-23-2009, 6:31 PM
I agree on the accuwedge. Theres no need for it, but it will definately get rid of the slop. trim to fit if its too tight (which it probably will)

evollep3
09-23-2009, 6:32 PM
I agree on the accuwedge. Theres no need for it, but it will definately get rid of the slop. trim to fit if its too tight (which it probably will)

yea i had to do that to my RRA Variment 18" upper now its solid!

Blacktail 8541
09-23-2009, 6:35 PM
If you want the biggest pins, get the Armalite oversize pins. They tighten up receivers considerably.

ocabj
09-23-2009, 6:36 PM

That is a common solution used by High Power shooters for awhile to prevent any gas leak from the rear of the receiver above the charging handle. Gasses that may bleed out can disrupt sight picture during a rapid fire string.

technique
09-23-2009, 6:37 PM
That is a common solution used by High Power shooters for awhile to prevent any gas leak from the rear of the receiver above the charging handle. Gasses that may bleed out can disrupt sight picture during a rapid fire string.

Good to know....It worked much better for me than a $80 charging handle thats for sure.

ocabj
09-23-2009, 9:18 PM
Good to know....It worked much better for me than a $80 charging handle thats for sure.

I can't remember what the most common material is. I haven't done it personally since the gas bleed hasn't ever been an issue for me. But the stuff most commonly used is red silicon I believe. Comes in a blue 'toothpaste' tube.

ar15barrels
09-23-2009, 9:26 PM
Accuwedges CAUSE wear on the receivers by creating extra friction when you push the takedown pin in and out.
The better solution is a JP Tension Pin.
It tightens down to remove all play, but loosens up to open the upper receiver from the lower reciever.

http://www.jprifles.com/photos_new/JPTPw2_271.jpg

http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.7_small_tp.php

technique
09-24-2009, 12:43 AM
I can't remember what the most common material is. I haven't done it personally since the gas bleed hasn't ever been an issue for me. But the stuff most commonly used is red silicon I believe. Comes in a blue 'toothpaste' tube.

I picked up the idea from guys that run suppressed all the time....I went out to the garage to see if I could find the tube....I have a million tubes of this and that....

I ended up digging through posts on Silencetalk and still couldn't find anything about it...but I posted asking, maybe I'll get some confirmation.

I think...its this (http://store.qualitydist.net/per-81160.html) stuff, Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.

ocabj
09-24-2009, 5:38 AM
I think...its this (http://store.qualitydist.net/per-81160.html) stuff, Permatex High-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.

I'm pretty sure that's the stuff I'm thinking of. If not, it would work for the application you adapted it for.

missiontrails
09-24-2009, 6:59 AM
If you want the biggest pins, get the Armalite oversize pins. They tighten up receivers considerably.

Those are listed @ +.001. Do they fit most lowers?