PDA

View Full Version : San Diego Area M1A Owners

autodex
09-23-2009, 1:30 PM
Looking for someone to go shooting with that is familiar with shooting/zeroing the M1A. Having some issues and want to make sure its just me and not the riflle. If you are interested drop me a PM Thanks

M1A Rifleman
09-23-2009, 4:03 PM
Sorry, not close to you, but what is your issue?

autodex
09-23-2009, 4:10 PM
I seem to be shooting high and to the right at 50 yards. I have a couple mods I made and wondering if this is contributing to this. This is the first time firing the rifle.

I installed an ultimak rail which attaches to the barrel as well as a Smith Enterprises USCG break (No visible signs that this is touching impacting the bullet.) I am 12 clicks from the bottom on the rear sight. Shooting NATO surplus ammo.

Shot about 30 rounds no FTE ort FTF ran great.

Thanks

sevensix2x51
09-23-2009, 4:12 PM
ck pm

M1A Rifleman
09-23-2009, 4:18 PM
I seem to be shooting high and to the right at 50 yards. I have a couple mods I made and wondering if this is contributing to this. This is the first time firing the rifle.

I installed an ultimak rail which attaches to the barrel as well as a Smith Enterprises USCG break (No visible signs that this is touching impacting the bullet.) I am 12 clicks from the bottom on the rear sight. Shooting NATO surplus ammo.

Shot about 30 rounds no FTE ort FTF ran great.

Thanks

Is this a std m1a or a short barrel?
Not clear if this is peeps or scope.
12 clicks for a peep may be high at 100 yds. Seems I recall 6 to 8 should get you at zero for 100, but these are only guides not rules.
If you zero for 100 yd, you will shoot high at 50.
Zero at 25 yd or 100 yd as they will be about the same.
If using a peep, make sure you are centering the front site witin the rear peep.
You mention your checked the muzzle and your not hitting.

autodex
09-23-2009, 4:22 PM
This is for a 18 inch Barrel Scout. Using Aimpoint Comp ML3 (Co-witnessed Rear Peep Sight at 12 Clicks) Ultimak Rail allow for this
I am shooting at 50 yards. Maybe I am too high on the clicks?

autodex
09-23-2009, 4:54 PM
Still looking for local shooting/range help thanks

Trapper
09-23-2009, 5:41 PM
I have a Scout Squad and live in La Mesa, sending contact info via PM.

ocabj
09-23-2009, 6:19 PM
Still looking for local shooting/range help thanks

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=210017

Contact the person (Francis) who started that thread. He shoots with us at the Santa Margarita Gun Club matches at Camp Pendleton. He should be able to help you with sighting in an M14. If anything, you could go to the event advertised in the above thread.

I'd you tell to come to an open practice with the Santa Margarita Gun Club since we have quite a few M14 shooters (civilian and military) that will be able to help you, but we don't have any more general practice events (just matches) for 2009.

http://www.smgunclub.org