PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Mosin Bolt

Rickenhacker
09-23-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi all,

I have a M39 that gets the sticky bolt syndrome. In my search to figure out how to fix it, I decided to clean the bolt the best I could. What I though was dirt and grease, appears to be a crack. I sent a link below, is this something I should worry about? If so where is a good place to get a replacement bolt?

http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/westyweekend/?action=view&current=DSCN1564.jpg

Thanks

Gunaria
09-23-2009, 1:31 PM
From the pic it looks more like a gouge in the metal.:confused: Hard to tell with out it in my hand.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab77/westyweekend/DSCN1564.jpg

socomIInato
09-23-2009, 1:46 PM
looks from pic that it`s on the surface. hard to tell from here.

Palimino Stripe
09-23-2009, 5:17 PM
I agree- looks like a surface scratch. In any case, I doubt it would be dangerous if it was a crack. It if breaks, it breaks. Then get a new one.

-Palimino

cgmoe
09-23-2009, 5:28 PM
tngunparts if you need a replacement , I can't tell on my crappy phone

Seesm
09-23-2009, 6:27 PM
Hey OP it is hard to tell from the pick and welding on a bolt is iffy...

Your in Sac so if you like you can cruise up to Auburn and we can check it out for you...

PM if you need any help. Take care.

Spiggy
09-23-2009, 7:34 PM
I agree- looks like a surface scratch. In any case, I doubt it would be dangerous if it was a crack. It if breaks, it breaks. Then get a new one.

-Palimino

while it doesn't directly affect the locking lugs, it could cause over-travel of the firing pin, breech the primer, and cause some pretty nasty blowback

And Mosin-nagants don't really have the port to let it vent safely.

Anthonysmanifesto
09-23-2009, 9:56 PM
1) sticky bolt is due to the surplus ammo ( the coating on the ammo in the chamber)- not usually the bolt- Google mosin & "sticky bolt"

2) cant tell from the pick if that is a "crack"

2a) many sites/people out there for parts- here is one http://www.buymilsurp.com/mosin-nagant-c-2.html

SixPointEight
09-23-2009, 9:58 PM
I'm callin it a scratch based on the picture

Rickenhacker
09-24-2009, 11:57 AM
I looked at it more carefully after I disassembled it late last night, and it doesn't go all the way through, looks like a gouge or scratch. :D

I heard a sticking bolt could be mainly surplus ammo, and certain Mosins like some and not others. Too bad there isn't an ammo sample set you can buy. Maybe I'll pick a variety up next time I visit RCGE.

Thanks for all the input.

SixPointEight
09-24-2009, 12:02 PM
More accurately, it's the STEEL surplus ammo, the coatings melt and mix with GSR and any cosmo that might be in there. Try brass surpluss

grossekatz
09-24-2009, 2:19 PM
Laquer thinner on a chamber brush worked wonders on a buddys rifle. Just keep it off the wood, it will remove the finish.

johnthomas
09-28-2009, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=Rickenhacker;3104835]Hi all,

I have a M39 that gets the sticky bolt syndrome. In my search to figure out how to fix it, I decided to clean the bolt the best I could. What I though was dirt and grease, appears to be a crack. I sent a link below, is this something I should worry about? If so where is a good place to get a replacement bolt?

I looked close at the picture, it looks to me like toward the bottom, the metal separates. Did you look at it thru a magnifier glass? If you decide it is cracked, let me know. We can work something out, I am in Salinas.