PDA

View Full Version : Korean M1 Garands/Carbines sold back to the US

Someguy925
09-23-2009, 12:26 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8271041.stm

Maybe we'll see these in a while? They're targeted to collectors like us.

rc50cal
09-23-2009, 1:50 PM
It seems that these rifles will be sold to an importer, which means import marks and serial numbers.

.22guy
09-23-2009, 2:00 PM
I wonder what the prices will be, and who the importer is.

glennsche
09-23-2009, 2:01 PM
It seems that these rifles will be sold to an importer, which means import marks and serial numbers.

yep. but so what?

that's a pretty decent supply, i wonder if it'll be enough to drive prices down.

RugerNo1
09-23-2009, 2:06 PM
That is very interesting. I'd love to have a Garand or Carbine that served in the Korean War...

skscj
09-23-2009, 2:28 PM
Group buy anyone, we can take a trip over there. :boat:

NRAhighpowershooter
09-23-2009, 3:29 PM
sheesh... it seems this has been reported on every single forum on earht now... just a hint for who is looking to buy them... the CMP looked them over last year and passed......

Gunaria
09-23-2009, 3:39 PM
sheesh... it seems this has been reported on every single forum on earht now... just a hint for who is looking to buy them... the CMP looked them over last year and passed......

Hell we know Century won't pass on them.:eek:

Super Spy
09-23-2009, 3:54 PM
It sounds like we supplied these to Korea as part of an aid package and now they sell them back to us? If that's the case then WTF?

skscj
09-23-2009, 3:56 PM
It sounds like we supplied these to Korea as part of an aid package and now they sell them back to us? If that's the case then WTF?

Word.

rjf
09-23-2009, 4:27 PM
These may have been sold to korea, and now they are selling them back.

The new imports will have the huge import billboard on the receiver, making the CMP rifles even more valuable.

7.62x54R
09-23-2009, 4:32 PM
if this means an affordable M1 Garand for me then im down for one. :D

NRAhighpowershooter
09-23-2009, 4:50 PM
if this means an affordable M1 Garand for me then im down for one. :D

These are suposedly on par with the Big5 Garands as far as condition.....

7.62x54R
09-23-2009, 4:56 PM

that sucks then i did find this though
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/assault-rifle-anyone-south-korea-auctions-guns-to-fund-miltary-20090924-g3cg.html
Korea's Defence Ministry, quoted in Chosun IIbo, estimated a sale price of $AUD253 per M1 and US$160 per carbine, meaning the defence force could earn $23 million from the first shipment of weapons.

253.00 AUD = 220.496 USD

AngryPossum
09-23-2009, 5:04 PM
I've seen a couple big 5 garands...I would be afraid to shoot one. Hopefully there are a couple Garands in that lot that are of good quality...I'd love to have one.

7.62x54R
09-23-2009, 5:06 PM
I've seen a couple big 5 garands...I would be afraid to shoot one. Hopefully there are a couple Garands in that lot that are of good quality...I'd love to have one.

ive seen one at the Big5 in Anaheim. it was beat i was like ill give you 100$

Scout106
09-23-2009, 6:16 PM
These rifles and carbines will likely have seen lots of wear and tear. They were standard issue for the ROK and KMC up until around 1970 and have been issued to reserves up until the present day. They will come with ROK marks on stocks and metal as well as any import marks. The importer will have to acquire import permits from the Obama government, inspect and certify each weapon as shootable. I imagine the price tag will be close to $1000. These will have virtually no value to real collectors and will be viewed only as shooters or parts guns.

You can currently get either an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine from CMP for around $450, without import marks.

tankerman
09-23-2009, 6:37 PM
Hell we know Century won't pass on them.:eek:Big 5 will be all over them too.

kurac
09-23-2009, 7:44 PM
my guess is that if they ever make it here, they will be for sale for a while.

nic
09-23-2009, 8:49 PM
Weren't the ones from the old Blue Sky Imports Co. Re-imports from Korea? My Garand came from Blue Sky, it was in bad enough condition that I replaced the barrel, stock/handguards, and some of the other small parts. It's beautiful now, after a ton of time and effort, and shoots really well. Maybe these re-imports, especially if they're cheap, will serve as the basis for many good restoration projects like mine.

TKM
09-23-2009, 9:16 PM
Isn't that where Big5 got all of those "expletive deleted" Carbines?

Very poorly reviewed for the last year.

Sampachi
09-23-2009, 9:29 PM
I'm just happy they are importing C&R rifles. If it's at a fair price, I wouldn't mind a shooter-grade Garand for fun!

ChrisO
09-23-2009, 9:41 PM
My garand was a blue sky Re-import it is a springfield the barrel has been stamped and it shoots better than most garands I have shot. I checked everything out it was made and issued 1941 in september I believe...

tony1970
09-24-2009, 9:37 AM
Anything supplied by us as aid must be returned to the Army if not needed anymore. Anything SOLD to a country they can do as they wish. Greek and Danish return M1's were just that, returned to the U.S. after deemed obsolete by the country. Blue Sky Carbine imports were purchased arms, and sold to importers. The Danes also had a number of purchased M1's that were blocked from being imported during the Clinton era, thus the large number of CAI built M1's and part kits on the market a few years back. Also the CMP is not an importer. All their rifles are returns that have gone through the Army. They are not in the rifle selling business, but in the marksmanship training business. All rifles and ammo sold go to marksmanship training for youth in America. Another reason to buy from them.:79:

Argonaut
09-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Anything supplied by us as aid must be returned to the Army if not needed anymore. Anything SOLD to a country they can do as they wish. Greek and Danish return M1's were just that, returned to the U.S. after deemed obsolete by the country. Blue Sky Carbine imports were purchased arms, and sold to importers. The Danes also had a number of purchased M1's that were blocked from being imported during the Clinton era, thus the large number of CAI built M1's and part kits on the market a few years back. Also the CMP is not an importer. All their rifles are returns that have gone through the Army. They are not in the rifle selling business, but in the marksmanship training business. All rifles and ammo sold go to marksmanship training for youth in America. Another reason to buy from them.:79:

Mostly a true statement. But.......When a foreign government is finished with US supplied equipment they send notice to the powers to be and disposition is decided at that time. Many times the US tells them to dispose of it as they want. I purchased an entire Boxcar of M1 Grand parts from The Anniston army depot where returned guns had been broken down. They went to Alex at the Citadel gun works in Moorpark, I spoke to the guys at Anniston while I was back there......They had made the decision that it was too costly to re-import this type rifle so they were going to allow them to be disposed of by the country that had them from then on..........That was a long time ago and stuff does change. I have bought lend lease Jeeps in France, Piper Cubs in Italy and stuff all over the world. A good friend of mine made a lot of money dealing in F4 parts all over the world that the US government did not want back as well.

BamBam-31
09-24-2009, 11:43 AM
First thing that came to mind:

http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~hongki/archives/movie/taegukgi.jpg

wilbur46
09-24-2009, 2:52 PM
If we gave them these rifles, they should give them back!
Preferably to the CMP ( so we could get some RGs for $225):D
Write to your congress knuckleheads and let them know.
(If they don't give them back, we pull out):)

HCz
09-24-2009, 3:16 PM
My guess is that M1 Garands will be of somewhat decent quality as they were replaced by M16A1 after Vietnam war. However, M1 Carbines were still in use well into early 90s as someone mentioned here, so I'd be hesitant to get one.

Argonaut
09-24-2009, 3:18 PM
With the current demilitarization regulations here you will do better having a wholesaler buy them back @ 10.00 each and reselling them on the US market.....Have you heard of Nancy Pelosi?

Argonaut
09-24-2009, 3:20 PM
We are still Using Garands........My daughter was issued one in USCG boot camp this spring!!!!!!

bohoki
09-24-2009, 3:45 PM
didn't they do this back in 1993 arlington ordnance got a bunch of carbines from korea

i dont know if its a good thing or bad thing with regards to the ammo situation

demand is already at an all time high

Argonaut
09-24-2009, 4:07 PM
I bought a really nice Danish Garand from Big 5 in the early 90's

Eat Dirt
09-24-2009, 7:48 PM
My garand was a blue sky Re-import it is a springfield the barrel has been stamped and it shoots better than most garands I have shot. I checked everything out it was made and issued 1941 in september I believe...

My Garand is also a 'Blue sky " Springfield
Great shooter / No problems

Solidsnake87
09-24-2009, 11:29 PM
If they are cheap and work I want one!

paratroop
09-25-2009, 6:22 AM
now im no economist, or anything like that, but if enough of these carbines come to our market, and they are in real bad shape, i think they will still go for around a grand. now with all these crappy carbines selling for that much, all the good ones floating around are going to be more prized, and therefore worth more to a person looking to get a halfway decent gun. so i think that is going to drive the prices up. why would i sell my beautiful rifle for $1000, if garbage is going for that much too. what do yall think?

Chaingun
09-25-2009, 7:25 AM
Hoping for the better price wise, but expect current CMP pricing

paratroop
09-26-2009, 8:50 AM
cmp prices? thats wishful thinking. im betting on big 5 prices. when was the last time you saw an m1 anything go for even close to cmp prices?

Mr.Pickles
09-26-2009, 10:10 AM
now im no economist, or anything like that, but if enough of these carbines come to our market, and they are in real bad shape, i think they will still go for around a grand. now with all these crappy carbines selling for that much, all the good ones floating around are going to be more prized, and therefore worth more to a person looking to get a halfway decent gun. so i think that is going to drive the prices up. why would i sell my beautiful rifle for $1000, if garbage is going for that much too. what do yall think?

well with CMP offering at a lower price and better quality than big 5. I can see that they are going to try to push theses for 1k. We can see the market go to hell because of big 5 trying to rip people off.:mad:

campperrykid
09-29-2009, 5:56 AM
Great movie.
Kinda like "Saving Pvt. Ryan" , "The Band of Brothers , " Gettysburg " and "The Patriot" all rolled into one story:

Metric tons of Milsurp guns.
US for the Allies -- Comblock , Japanese , and German for the bad guys. Lots of action , look close for the blank adaptors on some of the semi-auto's. I don't want to completely spoil the story, so here's just some of the gun/shooting/action parts. Warning : Not for kids' eyes.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U91sJcUjJF0&feature=related

The guns that went to South Korea in the early 1950's got used hard and most of them got wet.

B Strong
09-29-2009, 6:19 AM
This sounds like a replay of the "Blue Sky" imports during the 1980's.

You could pick up a Korean surplus Garand for under 400.00, Carbines were 200.00ish iirc.

They were all builder quality rifles.

I doubt these would be in any better condition than the last batch that came in.

weatherman
09-29-2009, 8:35 AM

So, if they're any more than $400, it's a ripoff... :rolleyes:

5hundo
09-29-2009, 8:37 AM

Import marks, maybe but since Garands and Carbines already have serial numbers, are they going to put the dot-matrix ones on them as well?

I don't see why that would be necessary. It seems like that would confuse the issue rather than make it easier for government agencies to track... :confused:

B Strong
09-29-2009, 8:51 AM
Import marks, maybe but since Garands and Carbines already have serial numbers, are they going to put the dot-matrix ones on them as well?

I don't see why that would be necessary. It seems like that would confuse the issue rather than make it easier for government agencies to track... :confused:

Afaik, the only import requirement is the importer's name and address.

On the Blue Sky rifles, it was on the barrel - easy change GI.

campperrykid
09-29-2009, 11:49 AM
The condition of the Garands & Carbines in this first new release is open to speculation.
I never paid much attention to the Blue Sky Garands because CMP has (historically) always had plenty of nice Garands at great prices.
CMP M1 Carbine numbers have been ( AFAIK) much lower.
I own two Blue Sky M1 Carbines: One needed a little ( not much ) work and a replacement stock. It's 100% reliable and pretty accurate for a carbine. 5 shots consistantly go inside 3 MoA with Win 296 reloads or ROK surplus ball.

The other Blue Sky turned out to be one of the nicest like-new-from-rebuild M1 Carbines that I have ever seen. When I heard "Blue Sky " my tunnel vision kicked in so I just checked the gun's mechanics as a shooter.
Never realized what it was till I got it home -- and then had to pull some books out & do some other research.

The 640,000 M1 Carbines in ROK war reserves might ( maybe ) include tens of thousands of very nice little guns.

5hundo
09-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Is there any chance that the CMP will get any of these?

Sorry if that's a stupid question. I don't know how that works. After all, they did get those German Police carbines back.

NRAhighpowershooter
09-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Is there any chance that the CMP will get any of these?

Sorry if that's a stupid question. I don't know how that works. After all, they did get those German Police carbines back.

nope... it's not in the CMP charter to buy or import firearms

campperrykid
09-29-2009, 5:28 PM

Bingo.
There is sold , there's given , and there is loaned. DoD and the US Army have a pretty full plate right now , too. There's plenty of time between now and 2020.
Also remember that the Cintons blocked the importing of many former USGI
Evil Brown Guns. That's why so many Garand and M1 Carbine receivers were chopped in three pieces and the rest imported as parts kits.

campperrykid
10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Me , too.

Later on , I remembered another movie : " JSA , Joint Security Area ".
Lots of Daewoo & AK action , a few beltfeds , maybe some M16's and (IIRC ) some Mak's and M9's. Some good scenery , too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNLcjGamf8U

I want a Daewoo bad.
One of the things that threw me off about the movie was that the trees looked too big.

;)

Nordschleife
10-13-2009, 8:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U91sJcUjJF0

grnt
10-14-2009, 8:26 PM
remember when greek garands were coming back to CMP. You could get a rack grade, still better than a Big 5 Garand for 300 bones. Miss those days.

campperrykid
09-23-2010, 3:33 PM
The State Department approved the importation of the ROK and then disapproved the deal. this has been a standard gun-grabber dirty trick since the 1980's. A very good way to screw with US importers and allies around the world.
Both the NRA and the GOA are becoming heavily involved in fighting to get the ROK guns released for sale to US citizens:
www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6015

The stakes are high , hundreds of thousands of historic USGI guns were sold , gifted and sometimes loaned to allies in Asiaand elsewhere. Here are some figures , from A for Angola ( UNITA , led by Jonas Sabimbi ) to V for Vietnam (RVN ).

www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbinesnara.html

Dr.Mauser
09-24-2010, 8:32 PM
Group buy anyone, we can take a trip over there. :boat:

im SOOOO down to go.....

is there any idea on long it will take to get these beautiful babies back home to the US.

The State Department approved the importation of the ROK and then disapproved the deal. this has been a standard gun-grabber dirty trick since the 1980's. A very good way to screw with US importers and allies around the world.
Both the NRA and the GOA are becoming heavily involved in fighting to get the ROK guns released for sale to US citizens:
www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6015

The stakes are high , hundreds of thousands of historic USGI guns were sold , gifted and sometimes loaned to allies in Asiaand elsewhere. Here are some figures , from A for Angola ( UNITA , led by Jonas Sabimbi ) to V for Vietnam (RVN ).

www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbinesnara.html

whats this number of carbines loaned: 6,110,730? if i remember correctly only 6,221,220 were made, so we gave almost ALL of them away?

InFamous20
09-24-2010, 10:03 PM
so yay or nay?

7.62x54R
09-25-2010, 4:30 AM
so yay or nay?

nay maybe the CMP should strong arm them for the carbines as they don't have any left. :rolleyes:

PEZHEAD265
09-25-2010, 4:35 AM
This thread is a year old!!

7.62x54R
09-25-2010, 4:41 AM
This thread is a year old!!

its one of a few in the c&r forum

Geodetic
09-25-2010, 4:55 AM
I call bull****. The thread is a year old... someone just resurrected it to piss everyone off.

blu97
09-25-2010, 12:21 PM
bingo

Saigon1965
09-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Awesome thread - Have 3 banned members -

campperrykid
09-26-2010, 5:20 AM
The ROK deal has been in the works for over one year.
The Blue Sky deal took around three (3 ) years ( and major action by Congress ) to complete. When the dust settled two hundred thousand ( 200,000 ) M1 Garands and M1 Carbines made it home to US owners . The deal stabilized shooter-grade Garand and Carbine prices for years.

A short little span of attention is a handicap when it comes to RKBA issues-- and imports are an RBKA issue.

Dr.Mauser
09-26-2010, 8:30 AM
lol how can little old me help speed up the process? I want me a new USGI carbine, dont care about mixed parts or import marks, just want a new one. :D

blu97
09-26-2010, 8:42 AM
This deal is allready 5 years old, should have went for the cmp carbine 2 years ago when they had thousands.

campperrykid
09-26-2010, 10:59 AM
The Blue Sky deal and other imports during the late 1980's and early 1990's stabilized M1 Carbine and M1 Garand prices for years. That's one reason why some individuals will bad mouth the efforts to import ( bought & paid for ) USGI guns from Asia.
Wanna-be scalpers could get burned badly when the ROK deal goes through.

Dr.Mauser
09-26-2010, 3:37 PM
i ahd 2 CMP carbines, and sold them :( :( :'( i know dumb mistake, but it was for for a golden cause, and now i want a new one, im having with drawls.