PDA

View Full Version : AR accessories?

kamagong
09-23-2009, 1:25 PM
My only AR is a basic carbine with iron sights, M4 handguards, and standard collapsible stock. I plan on running it that way for a while, but I realized that I still need to pick up some items.

Here is what I have so far, in order of importance –
1. ammo
2. magazines (have some 10-rd C-Products, still need to get some P-Mag rebuild kits)
3. sling (Boonie Packer Tactical Quick Adjustable)
4. rifle case (5.11 36” gun case)
5. cleaning materials
6. more ammo
7. Aimpoint T1 Micro w/ Larue mount
8. Magpul’s Art of the Tactical Carbine and other training videos
9. US Peacekeeper Rapid Deployment Pack
10. Eagle Industries .223 Chest Pouch
11. more ammo
12. spare bolt and firing pin
13. ammo
14. Magpul CTR stock and MOE grip w/ spare bolt core
15. Magpul MOE handguards
16. another AR
17. ammo

Am I missing anything? The only items I have at this point are the ones in bold. As you can see I still need to pick up some things. The Magpul products are pretty low on the list, as they are not necessary, but merely upgrades to perfectly serviceable parts. They do seem to offer increased functionality though, so I will probably be picking them up later down the line. Other than that I don’t see anything else that I really need as I want to keep this AR as a light, handy carbine.

technique
09-23-2009, 1:27 PM
#8 will do you some good.....but you should actually go to the class instead.

saber
09-23-2009, 1:28 PM
Have you thought about a light and light mount? I would put that about halfway down the list.

I would also move the Optic up to 2nd or 3rd on the list. It is night and day shooting an AR with iron sights versus an optic, particularly a good one.

DirtRacer151
09-23-2009, 1:29 PM
I think u forgot about ammo :)

Noobert
09-23-2009, 1:29 PM
shouldn't cleaning material be around magazine importance?

kamagong
09-23-2009, 1:35 PM
shouldn't cleaning material be around magazine importance?
True, but I already have items 2-4, so cleaning materials are actually second on my list now.

kamagong
09-23-2009, 1:37 PM
Very true, but until I can get to a class videos and other training materials will have to suffice. Plus, I wouldn't exactly categorize a class as an accessory.

gunsnrovers
09-23-2009, 1:44 PM
Light before RDS. You have an obligation to identify your target.

If you're set on running the M4 hand guards for a while and then going to the MOE hand guards, I would recommend a FSB mount for the light. Short rails on the mentioned hand guards get very crowded.

technique
09-23-2009, 1:45 PM
Very true, but until I can get to a class videos and other training materials will have to suffice. Plus, I wouldn't exactly categorize a class as an accessory.

Dang...your AR has a DVD player? I'm behind on my accessories if so.:D

Keep it simple.

Ammo
Mags
Spare parts
Cleaning gear

What Eagle vest are you looking at? I'm all for vests and carriers (I own an Eagle w/plates) but....an few Kydex mag holder are handy, easy to have on a belt ready to go.

50deuce
09-23-2009, 1:47 PM
True, but I already have items 2-4, so cleaning materials are actually second on my list now.

Cleaning materials should be first on the list.. Carbine build-ups, dirt, etc will malfunction your weapon, especially with M4 carbine rifle

CHS
09-23-2009, 1:55 PM
RLL or RDIAS :)

kamagong
09-23-2009, 1:57 PM
Dang...your AR has a DVD player? I'm behind on my accessories if so.:D

It's the one item this guy needs, lol...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xrMike/guns/1BadAR15.jpg

What Eagle vest are you looking at? I'm all for vests and carriers (I own an Eagle w/plates) but....an few Kydex mag holder are handy, easy to have on a belt ready to go.

I'm thinking of getting this one after I pick up some of the other items I need.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=395&cat=40&page=1

Black Majik
09-23-2009, 2:38 PM
RLL or RDIAS :)

LOL +1 on RDIAS!

Christian, for cleaning the only thing I see that you'll need is a dewey rod. It'll come with a jag. Otherwise it's the same, solvent down the bore, clp or favorite oil for lube. .22 cut patches work really well also.

Also don't see BUIS, should be right behind the Aimpoint microdot. :)

kamagong
09-23-2009, 2:39 PM
Also don't see BUIS, should be right behind the Aimpoint microdot. :)
That's because I already have the BUIS. :D

Black Majik
09-23-2009, 2:39 PM
That's because I already have the BUIS. :D

D'oh! :chris:

socomIInato
09-23-2009, 2:51 PM
this is how AR become bloated:puke:

socomIInato
09-23-2009, 2:53 PM
It's the one item this guy needs, lol...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xrMike/guns/1BadAR15.jpg

I'm thinking of getting this one up after I pick up some of the other items I need.

http://www.eagleindustries.com/product.php?productid=395&cat=40&page=1

you forgot the gun carriage for it;)

kamagong
09-23-2009, 3:08 PM

Really? What is it on my list that you think will make my AR porky?

kamagong
09-23-2009, 3:09 PM
I just realized that with all the stuff this guy has for his AR he doesn't even have a sling, lol...

CHS
09-23-2009, 3:12 PM

Everything in the OP's list is reasonable for a standard carbine without bloat.

technique
09-23-2009, 3:12 PM
I just realized that with all the stuff this guy has for his AR he doesn't even have a sling, lol...

it hovers in front of him...:eek:

-hanko
09-23-2009, 3:16 PM
In that respect, it's like watching a dvd about s*x without any hands-on (sorry;)) experience. WELLLL worth your money and time to skip the dvd and enroll in a basic carbine for beginners class. The class will further define what you need or don't need in a weapon.

hth

-hanko

CHS
09-23-2009, 3:21 PM
In that respect, it's like watching a dvd about s*x without any hands-on (sorry;)) experience. WELLLL worth your money and time to skip the dvd and enroll in a basic carbine for beginners class. The class will further define what you need or don't need in a weapon.

I agree. However, the DVD does give you some good drills that you can safely do in your house without ammo.

anniepoks
09-23-2009, 9:41 PM

i know a good gun carriage for this.....:
a carved out golf bag!!!

Acorn556
09-24-2009, 5:47 AM
Add up the weight of what you're going to put on the gun then find out if you want to lug something around that heavy.

Watch statements on pmags. Unless you get them pinned or fixed to only hold 10 rounds you're conducting illegal activity. I hate to burst your bubble. They are nice mags. Just make sure you realize how much weight you'll be carrying around.

Wayneard3413
09-24-2009, 5:52 AM
I agree. However, the DVD does give you some good drills that you can safely do in your house without ammo.

But without a trained eye watching it is worthless... Countless reps of doing something wrong does not increase you skill level any

Honestly training on your own is a myth... You can run drills and practice things but unless you have someone critiquing you then you are just practicing and not truly training

One decent idea is to video tape yourself both at home during dry fire and at the range... At least then you can look and see exactly what you were doing

To the OP,

Light, sling and RDS is all you really NEED on a defensive carbine (assuming that is what you are going for here) everything else is just gravy

My "cleaning supplies" consist of a rag and some carbon cutter... I haven't punched the bore on my rifle for well over 5k rounds now and will generally go 1-2k rounds between cleaning anything

Keep it well lubed with something along the lines of Slip2000 and you will be good to go

I would suggest getting the minimum things listed above and then pick up a case or at least a half case of ammo... Run that entire case through your weapon over the course of a day at the range, if it keeps running then your rifle should be good to go at a class

Then take the money you would have spent elsewhere and get enrolled in a course... In the end an untrained person with a weapon is simply a liability and as "Uncle Pat" puts it, owning a weapon doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician ;)

WeekendWarrior
09-24-2009, 8:06 AM
WWRTW

tomd1584
09-24-2009, 10:58 AM
pretty good list...heres what i say

ammo
magazines to load the ammo
boresnake, shop rags and carbon cutter, lube
sling