PDA

View Full Version : Rem. 700 Classic .350 Rem. Magnum

Len
09-23-2009, 1:05 PM
I have a dilemma,
I just bought a few rifles from an elderly neighbor, one of them is a beautiful Remington 700 Classic in .350 Remington Magnum.
The price was great and it came with a Leupold M8 4X scope and Leopold rings and bases.
The .350, from what I have found on the web seems to be a great short action magnum caliber but ammunition is very pricey (of course what ammo is not these days)
I do go elk hunting every couple of years but I already have several rifles for that purpose.
Like I said, for the price I payed I could not pass it up but I just don't really know what I am going to do with it.
Anyone have any .350 ammo they want to part with?

And no I will not let you have it :p

civilsnake
09-23-2009, 1:09 PM
It's kinda funny how you can trick yourself into thinking that something is a great deal because of the price, regardless of whether or not you actually need the item you're buying.

You could look into rebarrelling it for a different caliber maybe?

gun toting monkeyboy
09-23-2009, 1:23 PM
Are you kidding me? Reload for the thing and be done with it. It is a great cartridge. One that is making a comback as we have a wave of new short magnums popping up like mushrooms lately. I am dying to get one, but I have too many other projects going at the moment. If you hand load, you can load it down to .35 Remington levels for plinking and medium game, or crank it way up there to just shy of .358 Norma Magnum levels. That is one of those guns that you can play with the loads sufficiently to be used for just about any hunting in North America, including big bears in Alaska.

-Mb

justin_5585
09-24-2009, 6:51 AM
Natchez has them in stock (http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=1&searchBy=size&ammoSize=264), but like you said, a bit pricey. Then again, it's really not that much more than .300 WSM for decent hunting ammo. Besides, this way you can get some brass in your hand for reloading down the road!

Argonaut
09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
350 Rem mags are rare in M700's, They were introduced with the M600 carbine along with the 6.5 Remington Magnum. It will have some collector value, I would not rebarrel it. How many times are you going to shoot an Elk rifle? (maby 2 boxes a year at the most?) The cost of ammo sort of pales to the thousands (tens of thousands) spent by Californians on Elk hunting. The round has great ballistics...Nearly identical with the 35 Whelen but fits a short action. I had a buddy that bought one in the M600 Carbine in the early 70's.....Hot new gun. It was one of the first Laminated stocks in Factory sporting rifles. Two tone with blond and walnut colored wood. (only the Magnums came that way) and a plastic Ventilated rib.......The short barrel was way "cool" but you didn't want to shoot it much.......Awful recoil and muzzle flash.

swerv512
09-24-2009, 7:03 PM
Natchez has them in stock (http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=ammoGroup&ammoGroup=1&searchBy=size&ammoSize=264), but like you said, a bit pricey. Then again, it's really not that much more than .300 WSM for decent hunting ammo. Besides, this way you can get some brass in your hand for reloading down the road!

$47/box :eek: