PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Saiga conversion gunsmiths?

SPUTTER
09-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Any shops here in SoCal doing complete conversions?

SJgunguy24
09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
If you plan on heading up to the bay area anytime I can help.

SPUTTER
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
If you plan on heading up to the bay area anytime I can help.

Thanks.

The pistol grip install doesn't really worry me. Its the part about installing the handguard retainer (press on type) and the front sight block.

supermario
09-23-2009, 2:59 PM
PRK in fresno does good conversions and I think the guys at Cold War shooters also do conversion. Also Cadiz gun works does nice conversions.
Pretty much everyplace you go, that is an actual shop, will charge you
approximately $500 including parts. Thats what i have learned from pricing around.

skscj
09-23-2009, 3:17 PM
Save the money for ammo, do it yourself. The shops cost waay to much.

+1 on SJgunguy24. Come up, then on the way back you can swing by Panoche and blast away with the money you saved.

Nix78
09-23-2009, 6:21 PM
how do you do it ? or should I say whats involved I thought your just moveing the grip.Any sites or help you can tell us.

SJgunguy24
09-23-2009, 6:36 PM
The front end work can be a PITA. The newer Saigas have the gas blocks and front sights welded. The older ones are pinned and that makes a huge difference when going with the AK style front end. I'm working on a handguard retainer.

The grip and FCG is pretty straight forward. Drill out the FCG pins. Gut the rifle but save the disconnector and hammer springs.
Drill the rivets that hold the trigger guard plate, remove the trigger guard.
attach the new trigger guard, install new FCG. Blast away.

I can get the grip and FCG done in a couple hours, when I take my time and showing someone it's a bit longer.

norcal-ar was over on Sunday and we got it done in about 3-3 1/2 hours.

skscj
09-23-2009, 6:54 PM
Try this
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion

norcal-ar
09-23-2009, 7:00 PM
The front end work can be a PITA. The newer Saigas have the gas blocks and front sights welded. The older ones are pinned and that makes a huge difference when going with the AK style front end. I'm working on a handguard retainer.

The grip and FCG is pretty straight forward. Drill out the FCG pins. Gut the rifle but save the disconnector and hammer springs.
Drill the rivets that hold the trigger guard plate, remove the trigger guard.
attach the new trigger guard, install new FCG. Blast away.

I can get the grip and FCG done in a couple hours, when I take my time and showing someone it's a bit longer.

norcal-ar was over on Sunday and we got it done in about 3-3 1/2 hours.

thanks again!

09-23-2009, 7:15 PM
Any shops here in SoCal doing complete conversions?

Do it yourself with the Tromix trigger guard kit. You might only need to outsource it if you can't remove the FSB.

SPUTTER
09-23-2009, 7:56 PM
Yeah, looking at mine, the FSB has two blind holes at the bottom, but it doesnt look like pins inside. Looks like you'd have to cut it off.
I'm guessing with the new FSB you'd have to use pins and maybe machine/drill notches in the barrel? This is the part that concerns me the most because the sights are pretty accurate as it is. I'd like to know how they sight these things at the factory, because it looks like you only get one shot at it. Am I wrong here?

SJgunguy24
09-23-2009, 8:06 PM
Do it yourself with the Tromix trigger guard kit. You might only need to outsource it if you can't remove the FSB.

The gas block will have to come off also. If the sight and gas block are welded......have fun.

SJgunguy24
09-23-2009, 8:08 PM
Yeah, looking at mine, the FSB has two blind holes at the bottom, but it doesnt look like pins inside. Looks like you'd have to cut it off.
I'm guessing with the new FSB you'd have to use pins and maybe machine/drill notches in the barrel? This is the part that concerns me the most because the sights are pretty accurate as it is. I'd like to know how they sight these things at the factory, because it looks like you only get one shot at it. Am I wrong here?

The base fits pretty tight, the drum that the sight pin sits in will adjust for windage and elevation.

SPUTTER
09-23-2009, 8:17 PM
The base fits pretty tight, the drum that the sight pin sits in will adjust for windage and elevation.

Ok, gotcha SJ. So its a matter of cutting, drilling and re-installing the new piece and sighting it? You sight it for 50 or 100 yards?

SJgunguy24
09-23-2009, 8:35 PM
Ok, gotcha SJ. So its a matter of cutting, drilling and re-installing the new piece and sighting it? You sight it for 50 or 100 yards?

I took the base off one of mine, it's done. Had to cut it off. I tride to get it off with my press but I gotta make a jig with some 3/8" plate. 3/16" won't cut it, not strong enough. Also gotta make a brass plug to fit on the muzzle, since thats the side that needs to be pushed. I moved the front sight to the gas block.
I ran a string from the garage to the fence out side to get a ballpark sight. It was a little high at 50 yards.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/014-11.jpg