PDA

View Full Version : Contra Costa County's Sheriff Rupf retiring

crider.j
09-23-2009, 8:17 AM
http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_13396085?source=most_viewed

This is an excellent opportunity to get a pro-CCW sheriff installed in Contra Costa County. Let's get information on candidates as soon as possible, as the election is slated for June. :D

tango5
10-01-2009, 5:30 PM
Any word on who will replacing him, or who will be running? Looks like the rein of Rupf might be over for the citizens of of CC County.

Iris223
10-27-2009, 7:30 PM
Any update on this?

RL94556
11-25-2009, 9:23 AM
Hope I'm not redundant, I'm new to the group and I don't think my first rely went through. Anyway, the 2 candidates are David Livingston, Concord Chief of Police and Brian Kalinowski, Antioch politician and Deputy Sheriff CoCo County. I have tried to contact both and neither will reply to requests for a position statement on 2A or CCW. My opinion is that Livingston will be more of the same since he is handpicked by Rupf. Because of his nonreply, I believe Kalinowski will be equally bad. We need a 3rd candidate, but time is fleeting and we will probably lose the opportunity of a more rational candidate. Go to http://www.cocovote.us/content.aspx?id=24 and click on June 8, 2010 "Tentative schedule" and you'll see we are down to about 90 days.

BananaTyrant
12-01-2009, 1:58 PM
From this thread;
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=222243

Got a response from Brian Kalinowski. Much faster than I was expecting. Kind of seems like he's for current state of things, but he at least seems like he might be open to the idea of actually issuing them. Then again, it could just be his way of trying for my vote. No response from David Livingston yet.

John-

Since California as you know is not a "will or shall" issue rather a "may" issue state, I suspect this is in fact where the issue starts for some. It is my sense that the process that is currently used to process the CCW permits is appropriate. The bigger question in my mind is: What qualifies as appropriate, in terms of making a decision on who "may" be issued a permit. I will as Sheriff review the qualifying criteria that is in place and make a decision if the list (or reasons) can or should be modified. I do not think as I answer this at this time that I am inclined to grant across the board permits to those who apply-just because of an application. Should I learn of additional information, I will always be willing to consider a modification to my statement or policies should I be elected.

I hope that helps you, and should you wish to discuss this further, I would be happy to meet with you.

Respectfully,

Brian Kalinowski

As much as I would like to meet with him and ask him some of the questions we all really want to know the answers to, I don't think I am the proper person for this. I wish I'd remembered to ask if he believed "personal defense" to be a good cause.

Still no response from Livingston.

gorn5150
12-28-2009, 8:09 PM
CCW's have always been easy to get from Rupf. You just have to be a Sheriff's Posse member and make large donations.

POINTMANDDT
01-03-2010, 8:56 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on this one. When people apply in CCC; what is the most common answer for turning down an application? This answer would help me with my e-mail I will send to both candidates.

RL94556
01-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Most unfortunately, neither the Bay Area NRA nor Calguns has tried to promote a second amendment friendly candidate. Personally, I believe (s)he would have a great chance at winning the election. This is so disturbing, given elections in other counties such as Sacramento, where the 2nd Amendment is a significant issue for the office. Very soon, an opportunity to file for candidacy will be lost.

freedomtools
01-05-2010, 1:17 PM
http://www.cocovote.us/getdocument.aspx?id=309

So you need $2000 and 40 signatures to run for Sheriff, right? It doesn't sound so hard. I'll gladly donate time and money to a Calguns member who has a chance of winning.

RL94556
01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I would happily donate money and time as well for a candidate whom simply looks at statistics regarding CCW and "shall issue" states. Gun supporters site objective statistics while gun adversaries base their arguments on emotion. It seems someone with LE experience would like the position with our support. FYI in 2007 the position paid $187,996 salary, $214,640 total earnings, $255,608 total compensation!! (http://ca-contracostacounty.civicplus.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2194) pg. 165. Also, he gets over 25 aides!!

PressCheck
01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
The Sheriff IS favoring the Concord Chief!

PressCheck
01-11-2010, 10:20 AM
CCW's have always been easy to get from Rupf. You just have to be a Sheriff's Posse member and make large donations.

Just NOT true!

freedomtools
01-11-2010, 11:15 AM
The Sheriff IS favoring the Concord Chief!

That's true! He's also endorsed by many of the same local police chiefs who refuse to accept CCW applications and instead direct them to Rupf, who they know will not issue permits.

A fine reason to vote for anyone but Livingston.

Crusader Matt
01-11-2010, 4:53 PM
Keep me posted on this. Im in CCC. And after talking with two chiefs of police in the area who are friends about issuing a CCW they both responded along the lines of "I've never done that/we dont do that". I doubt we'll get a sheriff on our side but perhaps AB357 will come thru.