PDA

View Full Version : Going to CMP in Anniston,Alabama ( Another Garand Question)

SilverSalmon
09-22-2009, 7:27 PM
Question for you guys:

I recently returned to Alabama from San Diego to visit my mom & Dad. My Dad lives in Anniston, so I'm going up there and decided to see if I could pick up a Garand. They said yes if I have all the info. Yeah! No wait!

At any rate, I looked at the website, and decided to potentially buy a Special Grade M1 Garand for 995 USD ( plus tax if you go there) or a Service grade Garand for 595 USD ( same taxes apply). Or should I just get one from the likes of Dean/Miltech/Fultom Armory ( 1,600 USD) ? What do you guys think? What would you do based on my needs? What are the pros and cons? Basically I want a very good, dependable, shooter, that will out live me. I'm not a collector. A nice 2/ 3 MOA shooter would be nice.

Last question, if I go with a service Grade one, What should I look for in terms of desirable serial numbers/ manufactures and etc. How the hell does a newbie pick a good service Grade Garand? I've done some research but I'm back stopping with you experts. I wish i could borrow some of your brains and eyes for a day :rolleyes:

7.62x54R
09-22-2009, 7:47 PM
id like to know too in:D

ColdDeadHands1
09-22-2009, 8:00 PM
You must check out The Garand Guy!
http://www.garandguy.com/

Click on the "Issue Grade Shooters" button. He has a $100 sale going on now so you can get a nice gun, rebuilt, reparked, gauged, new stock, etc. from him for $900-1000 depending on barrel condition. He comes highly regarded for the quality of his work.

I have one sitting in 10-day jail right now that I get to pick up on Monday.

TRICKSTER
09-22-2009, 8:13 PM
If your going to the South Store, you may want to consider one of these. They are only sold at the stores.

RM1SASSP - "M1 Garand SA Service Grade Special M1 GARAND SPRINGFIELD SERVICE GRADE SPECIAL SA correct metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks & handguards. Stocks, handguards and associated metal hardware are new manufacture, NOT original SA manufacture. RM1SASSP $795

They haven't had any service grades at the stores for awhile. From what people are posting, the SPRINGFIELD SERVICE GRADE SPECIAL are almost as good as the Special Grade Garands only they cost less. I was there at the end of June, it's pretty overwhelming. The store opens at 8, but there is already a line at 7:30. Bring lots of money, sometimes you will see a great deal at the store that is not listed online.

If you are into bolt actions, they sometimes have rack grade M1917's that have been chromed and the stocks are painted white for $250. The white paint comes off with Paint stripper and the stocks are a nice walnut underneath. I picked up a nearly correct Winchester and it is one of the best shooters that I have. This is what it looks like once you get the white paint off. http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr233/RLH178/parade1917.jpg

Francis Marion
09-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Ask the guys in the shop to show you how to use the throat and muzzle gages. That way you can measure and compare the amount of expected barrel life in different rifles.

I wouldn't know what to look for from about a collecter's standpoint, but if you want a good shooter, ask them to measure (or show you how) the rifles you're interested in.

Your CMP rifle will be a fascinating piece of history to research and just might become your favorite, be warned!

Rule .308
09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Just as a rule of thumb the later model Springfield and HRA guns are supposed to be some of the more accurate guns. I have two CMP guns, one is a '42 Springfield and the other is a '55 HRA. When I do my part I can shoot right at 1MOA from the bench with a rest when shooting the HRA, the Springfield is a typical 2-3 minute gun under the same circumstances. See if you can't find a correct or mostly correct later model HRA. The LMR barrels are correct for the mid 50's era HRA's and they shoot great.

SilverSalmon
09-24-2009, 7:01 PM
If your going to the South Store, you may want to consider one of these. They are only sold at the stores.

RM1SASSP - "M1 Garand SA Service Grade Special M1 GARAND SPRINGFIELD SERVICE GRADE SPECIAL SA correct metal in excellent almost new condition. Walnut stocks & handguards. Stocks, handguards and associated metal hardware are new manufacture, NOT original SA manufacture. RM1SASSP $795

They haven't had any service grades at the stores for awhile. From what people are posting, the SPRINGFIELD SERVICE GRADE SPECIAL are almost as good as the Special Grade Garands only they cost less. I was there at the end of June, it's pretty overwhelming. The store opens at 8, but there is already a line at 7:30. Bring lots of money, sometimes you will see a great deal at the store that is not listed online.

If you are into bolt actions, they sometimes have rack grade M1917's that have been chromed and the stocks are painted white for $250. The white paint comes off with Paint stripper and the stocks are a nice walnut underneath. I picked up a nearly correct Winchester and it is one of the best shooters that I have. This is what it looks like once you get the white paint off. http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr233/RLH178/parade1917.jpg

Thanks for the advice! that's exactly what i got today! i was looking at the 995 USD Specials with the new criterion barrels. However the armorer, said the 795 were the same but cheaper. In fact the armorer was so awesome he took a barrel from a 795 USD special, and a 995 USD and gauged them. My cheaper Garand gauged better (1). Although he said that didn't mean it would shoot better, although I HAVE A SHOOTER FOR SURE! HELL OF A DEAL!!!!! Great visit, efficient, courteous, professional, and helpful. They didn't have anymore 192 ammo cans BUT THEY DID HAVE 240 Ammo cans! :43::eek:

My Garand dated 1954, Springfield Armory, all matching parts and appropriate serial numbers. Only the stock is new. NO WEAR ON THE OP-ROD. No Rust, no wear. LIKE A NEW DAMN GUN. I'd rather have this one than a new M1A actually. Just me. Thanks everyone! Hell of a day!