PDA

View Full Version : k98 sight hood

rogdigity
09-22-2009, 6:04 PM
so i notice that most k98s i see dont have a sight hood. why is that? there must have been SOME reason they were removed, right?

i am thinking of getting one for my mauser now but id like to know a little more about it before i buy one. i just kinda wanna complete the look of the rifle

Mssr. Eleganté
09-22-2009, 6:31 PM
Early K98's didn't have sight hoods. On these, there isn't even a groove on the front site to accept a sight hood. But most of the K98's you see at the range these days are "Russian capture" rifles. For some reason, the Soviets left off the sight hoods, the cleaning rods and the capture screws when they refurbished the rifles after the war. I'm not sure why they did this.

Fate
09-22-2009, 6:37 PM
They recycled superfluous metal for their cold war machine. Millions of sight hoods, capture screws and cleaning rods add up.

That said, many of the sight hoods were already missing when they were captured. Those hoods hold snow if they get shoved into it (not good in a fight), so the German troops ditched them quite often. Look at old photos from the Eastern front and you'll see most K98s don't have hoods.

Beware of cheap reproductions. Most of the hoods out there ARE repros and they often don't fit well or have the right "spring" in the steel to stay put.

rogdigity
09-22-2009, 6:48 PM
cool. mine is from 38 and is a russian capture. ill have to check the front sight. and i have noticed most of them are repros. seeing as how you can buy one for either 6 dollars, or 60 dollars... which do you think is original??

Mssr. Eleganté
09-22-2009, 6:54 PM
cool. mine is from 38 and is a russian capture. ill have to check the front sight.

I think they changed to front sight to accept a hood in 1940. So yours won't have the grooves unless the front sight base was changed out at some point.

glennsche
09-22-2009, 7:58 PM
i also remember reading (i think) on classic arms that the russians, as part of 'arms reduction treaties' stripped the cleanign rods and sight hoods off of k98s they'd stored in their aresenals and insodoing made them "unserviceable" and were in compliance with "reducing numbers of weapons".

those classic guys sell replacement cleaning rods.

i dont know about you guys but i think those guns just look naked without a sight hood and a cleanign rod.

rogdigity
09-22-2009, 8:38 PM
i have been eyeing a cleaning rod and the set screws for the underside as well. i know they were on the rifle at one point because there is a cleaning rod hole and there is a couple little spots for the set screws.

buffybuster
09-22-2009, 9:07 PM
IMO is that it is difficult to get the rear band off the rifle with the hood on. So, as a result it is removed, then discarded (since it's a bigger pain to get it back on with few benefits).

Crusader
09-22-2009, 11:30 PM
I personally like the Kar98k much better without the front sight hood. It interferes with both sight picture and with disassembly. My 1938 doesn't even have the grooves for the hood, so it's all good.

The cleaning rod and capture screws are a must though. I'm still trying to find some.

Trench Broom
09-23-2009, 2:08 AM
Don't forget the sling! K98's gotta have that distinctive leather sling as well as the other goodies.

rogdigity
09-23-2009, 6:43 AM
sling and bayonet are up there two, just a little later since they cost so much more

socomIInato
09-23-2009, 12:55 PM
remember if you put a cleaning rod on it you can`t mount your`e bayonet. this would leave you unable to finish off those roaming zombies:taz: without wasting more ammo!

dustoff31
09-23-2009, 1:18 PM
remember if you put a cleaning rod on it you can`t mount your`e bayonet. this would leave you unable to finish off those roaming zombies:taz: without wasting more ammo!

Why wouldn't you be able to fix a bayonet?

The bayonet has a hole in the handle that the cleaning rod slips into. Many repro cleaning rods are too big and need to be turned down a little.

rogdigity
09-23-2009, 3:56 PM
ill keep that in mind when buying both. thanks!

socomIInato
09-23-2009, 9:13 PM
Why wouldn't you be able to fix a bayonet?

The bayonet has a hole in the handle that the cleaning rod slips into. Many repro cleaning rods are too big and need to be turned down a little.

I stand corrected!

bigthaiboy
09-23-2009, 10:36 PM
i also remember reading (i think) on classic arms that the russians, as part of 'arms reduction treaties' stripped the cleanign rods and sight hoods off of k98s they'd stored in their arsenals and in so doing made them "unserviceable" and were in compliance with "reducing numbers of weapons".

This is the same story I've heard as well. I've also read the russians deemed those three parts "unnecessary" and melted them down for the steel.