View Full Version : job sites

turinreza
09-22-2009, 5:33 PM
besides craigslist .. what are the latest job sites are good for searching for
software engineeering positions?
tia

sfwdiy
09-23-2009, 1:42 AM
Try dice.com and indeed.com. Indeed is a job search aggregator and dice is tech specific.

--B

gcvt
09-23-2009, 3:08 AM
If you're searching for a job, craigslist.com is basically worthless.

lazyworm
09-23-2009, 7:34 AM
+1 for dice as well.

craigslist has good openings, but competition is high and chances is that
you'd get lost in the noise.

Every job positing my $dayjob put on criagslist typically resulted in 200+
replies on the first day. We haven't found anybody good enough to hire yet.

btw, what s/w eng position are you looking for? What's your experience?
my $dayjob is looking for a ruby on rails dev and a generalist s/w engr.

bigmike82
09-23-2009, 9:04 AM
"If you're searching for a job, craigslist.com is basically worthless."
Uh, no. I've found 3 of my last 4 jobs through CL.

gcvt
09-24-2009, 1:04 AM
"If you're searching for a job, craigslist.com is basically worthless."
Uh, no. I've found 3 of my last 4 jobs through CL.

Well, I'm glad to hear you had a better experience than myself and every other person I know who has tried to find employment through CL.

bigmike82
09-24-2009, 9:10 AM
I guess it depends how you use it, as well as how good you are with writing the intial emails and cover letters.

Now, that said, most of the resumes I've sent on CL have resulted in nothing. It really does require a shotgun approach. Over the last five years, I must have sent out well over a hundred resumes, with about 20 callbacks and interviews, including consulting work. Of the 60 actual employment opportunities I've knocked the door on, I've gotten about 7 or so call backs, 4 interviews, and 3 hirings.

CL is a great tool if you know how to approach it. People need to understand that the CL jobs section is nothing like Monster. You can not just shoot off a resume with a quick email and hope to get a call back. That will not work, as you are not differentiating yourself from the other applicants.

Job ads on CL result in a *huge* avalanche of emails, the great majority of which consist of little more than "Hi, I'd like to work for your company, here's my resume." There's also a large amount of offshore applicants. You really need to be able to set yourself apart, and make your email standout from the list. That means, unless otherwise specified in the body of the job ad, don't make your subject the title of the job ad verbatim. Actually write a personable, coherent, and interesting email, not just a quick line. You can use a template for your email, but be damn sure to customize it for your audience.

CL is a great tool; you just need to know how to use it.

turinreza
10-06-2009, 5:25 PM
thanks guys.. getting tons of interviews now :)

uzigalil
10-06-2009, 5:33 PM
good info

Corbin Dallas
10-08-2009, 7:55 AM
My top IT job searchings:

Dice.com
Careerbuilder.com
Sologig.com
Computerjobs.com

These searches landed me a position as a contractor for Qualcomm for the next 2 years.

mmartin
10-08-2009, 8:44 AM
monster.com
careerbuilder.com
sologig.com
and linkedin.com if you've been using it to connect with... have hired people from here, checked references, gotten referals to folks with skills I need.
I hate dice.com, can't get decent filtering out of it and always have a ton of listings that don't apply.
megan

Fantasma
10-14-2009, 1:22 AM
Not many people know of Caljobs?

I found work there before. Cool site!

dude
10-14-2009, 7:30 PM
I found my sw eng job on Monster.com.

Macadelic4
10-19-2009, 1:45 PM
If you're searching for a job, craigslist.com is basically worthless.

Wrong. My highest paying jobs (4) were all found on Craigslist and I know a number of undergrads like myself finding tech-specific jobs there as employers love the cheap advertisement.

If you spend a few minutes, there are companies willing to give you pay, perks, independent contractor status, free lunches, and a bonus...even if you're inexperienced (like myself ;)).