PDA

View Full Version : legitimate handgun for sale at dealer

07-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Just joined after doing a bunch of research on the net and finding this place.

have a question...

I'm looking for a 9mm CZ-75B and came across the "retro" model on the net. DOJ's rosted list of legal guns does not show this model (I think it doesn't but I'm not 100% sure cause I don;t know the SKU number of this model).

Anyway, long story short, I stumbled across a 9mm CZ75B at a local gun store and it had the "retro" grips on it. I asked owner if this piece was brand new and he said yes. He didn't know what I meant by "retro" model and all but he priced it $100 more than what I can get from the internet. The barrel has "CZ 75B 9mm luger" on it and nothing else to indicate the model. One odd thing is that the hammer on this piece is the ring-hammer and most retro CZ75B has the full-spur hammer.

I cannot find any info on a retro CZ75B with a ring-hammer and those retro grips.

So, what's the possibilty of buying a CZ75B "retro" from the internet when it looks nearly identical to the one I saw at the store today (except for that hammer)?

bwiese
07-23-2005, 11:26 AM
CZ75Bs are approved by Cal DOJ... from their website of approved guns:

CZ2075 RAMI / Steel, Alloy Pistol 3" 9mm
CZ2075 RAMI / Steel, Alloy Pistol 3.0" .40S&W
83 (Glossy Blue) / Steel Pistol 3.81" .380
CZ75D (Black) 01194 / Alloy Pistol 3.87" 9mm
CZ75 P-01 / Steel, Alloy Pistol 3.88" 9mm
CZ75 Compact (Black) 01190/Steel Pistol 3.94" 9mm
75BD (Black) 01130 / Steel Pistol 4.687" 9mm
75SA (Black) / Steel Pistol 4.692" .40S&W
40B (Black) / Steel, Alloy Pistol 4.7" .40S&W
CZ75B (Black) 01102 / Steel Pistol 4.72" 9mm
CZ75B SA (Black) 01150 / Steel Pistol 4.72" 9mm
CZ75 Tactical 01100 / Steel Pistol 4.72" 9mm
CZ75B (Black) 01120 / Steel Pistol 4.72" .40S&W
CZ97B (Black) 01401 / Steel Pistol 4.84" .45ACP

"Retro" grips, sights, etc. will not affect approval category of CZ75. Only substantive changes (trigger system, capacity, material - plastic vs stainless vs steel) require separate certifications. I am not sure if Cal DOJ considers ring ("rowel") hammer vs. spur hammer as a separate design change requiring separate approval.

The factory box from CZ should have a label with a model number (i.e., 01102 or 01150 above).

If you order over the net from, say, GunBroker, ask the seller for the exact specs (model#) before bidding - ask for box label info.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

-hanko
07-23-2005, 11:28 AM
No idea what you mean by 'retro'; apparently no one else does either. Original (non-B) had a rounded trigger guard. Current B has a trigger guard with a largely useless finger grip in the front lower corner. If the B is listed as safe on the doj list, grips & hammer type are immaterial.

-hanko

maxicon
07-23-2005, 1:02 PM
The Retro is a pre-B styled CZ75.

http://www.czforum.com has a forum dedicated to the Retro, but there's not much traffic there.

Here's a quote from a post there:

"the retro version of the 75b is the same internaly as the 75b but with the externals of the pre-b version. ie-rounded trigger guard, spur hammer, reshaped slide release and safety lever. the slide rails are shorter on the pre-b's as where the retro still wears the longer slide rails of the 75b. so its not an exact copy of a pre-b, but its close."

max

07-23-2005, 2:22 PM
I'm so confused http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

07-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by maxicon:
The Retro is a pre-B styled CZ75.

http://www.czforum.com has a forum dedicated to the Retro, but there's not much traffic there.

Here's a quote from a post there:

"the retro version of the 75b is the same internaly as the 75b but with the externals of the pre-b version. ie-rounded trigger guard, spur hammer, reshaped slide release and safety lever. the slide rails are shorter on the pre-b's as where the retro still wears the longer slide rails of the 75b. so its not an exact copy of a pre-b, but its close."

max

what's confusing me is that the handgun from the shop is a CZ-75B with the "pre-B" grips and with the ring hammer. it's a combo I have not seen on the net. The shop owner said he had not done anything to the pistol.

I'll take BWiese's advice and ask the seller of the "retro CZ75B" on the net to see if the handgun has "CZ 75B" stamped on the barrel. Then I'll be okay (except for that full spur hammer).

thanks guys for your advice.

[edited]

found a picture (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976468771.htm) of what I'm talking about. Most likely my local shop does not have the hi-cap mag, as provided in the link above.

sorry for the confusion. I now know that what I was seeing is not any "CZ 75 retro" but a CZ75B military. I wrongly associated the military-versioned grip with that of the retro, and thought it was a retro.