PDA

View Full Version : ML hunting?

HunterJim
09-21-2009, 1:43 PM
How many folks are hunting with muzzleloading weapons?

What have you had to change in the condor zone?

I have been hunting the ML deer season in San Diego County the last two years with a .50 rifle. We are south of the condor nausea here, so I use the same lead conicals.

thanks...jim

Annonymous
09-21-2009, 3:16 PM
I use an inline muzzleloader, so I just switched to the non lead Barnes TMZ bullet.
I was going to pick up traditional, but the condors changed my mind.

HunterJim
09-22-2009, 8:34 AM
It looks like the thin-skirted copper bullet design will work. You could use it in a traditional style rifle depending on the twist. Most of my rifles are 32" or faster in twist, so I can shoot most things.

jim

gun toting monkeyboy
09-22-2009, 12:52 PM
The last time I went out, I used a .45 caliber matchlock. I think I'll pass on that one with the drought...

Argonaut
09-22-2009, 12:56 PM
There are several good "certified" lead free bullets for black powder guns on the market........I like the Barnes but there are others.

Fjold
09-22-2009, 1:32 PM
My old .54 is 1:48 twist so I think that I could get away with a sabot round with a pistol bullet but i haven't shot my ML in over 15 years. I haven't hunted with it since I left Idaho in 1985 or so.

knucklehead0202
09-22-2009, 9:45 PM
hahahahaha, those damned pesky condors, they just eat the bullets right outta the air. i can't believe anyone actually takes that crap seriously. i know it's the law, but do you really believe it?

HunterJim
09-23-2009, 10:28 AM
The Legislature was sold a bill of enviro goods to pass the law they did, there still aren't any *scientific* data that proves the hunters' bullets condor blood link. There are lots of anecdotes floating around, but DFG has examined all of it and told the Commission that none of it rises to the level of peer-reviewed science.

So no, I don't believe it.

I was born and raised in Monterey County in "condor country", I was a birder as a kid and Boy Scout, and never saw a California condor. I did see plenty of vultures. The feds actually feed all the released condors, if left alone they would starve and be "...gone within 10 years" to quote a F&G Commissioner.

48" twist is supposed to shoot shorter conicals and saboted pistol bullets, but I haven't tried it myself.

jim

HunterJim
09-30-2009, 10:24 AM
I am going to shift this thread to the Hunting & FIshing Forum, looks like it fits there mo' bettah...jim