View Full Version : Shooting Jacket for women

09-21-2009, 1:43 PM
My daughter just spent the weekend with me at Piru Rifle range. She was shooting at an Appleseed event, I was instructing.

It was very hot, she used my shooting jacket, that is not very nice and is thick cotton (very hot).

She needs a jacket with elbow pads, padding for a loop sling, and a recoil pad. Something that she can wear when it is 100 degrees outside. (or even one that is OK for winter shooting also).

I searched, and as usual, when it comes to clothing for a woman, I am lost and confused.

She is 20, about 130lbs, 5'9".

Any suggestions? Elbow pads and sling padding are a must. Her arm was all torn up from the sling rubbing. She has taken a keen interest in shooting, and was very close to scoring a qualifying score. I think if her gear was appropriate, she would have done much better.

09-21-2009, 1:45 PM
possably a bike jacket?

09-21-2009, 2:39 PM
try looking for m1 garand shooting jackets or match jackets. i was in sac at an appleseed and saw a father and son with a half jacket. both were shooting m1's.

09-21-2009, 7:00 PM
This looks like a market that is wide open. Womens shooting aparel.

09-21-2009, 8:54 PM
Contact Creedmoor Sports.

Their 'Hardback' is the most widely used shooting coats used in High Power Rifle competitions, and HP has lots of female shooters. I'm not sure if your daughter will need specific coat dimensions for her, but Creedmoor will design coats specifically to your needs.

I currently use their all-cordura Hardback coat. I usually wear a 38 or 40 short sport coat and have a 31" waist, so when I bought my Creedmoor coat, I bought the size 38 with a tapered torso.

Some will disagree with this method, but I wear a sweatshirt underneath my coat (and many others do too). The key to the sweatshirt, even if it's hot, is to get a buffer zone between the coat and the body so air can circulate and the sweatshirt will wick sweat away from the body. Leather/cordura does a poor job ventilating so having that directly against the body with only a thin shirt will make wearing the coat very uncomfortable.

09-30-2009, 11:43 AM
I'm not a rifle shooter, but I come across shooting jackets for women on the USA Shooting web site and also with Champions Choice.

Best of luck to you!

09-30-2009, 12:00 PM
what about a trap-shooting vest over a regular jacket? doesn't provide the padded elbows, but it provides exterior pockets and shoulder padding. and there seem to be a fairly good selection of shooting vests for women.

09-30-2009, 12:35 PM
You want the coats for torso support and grip, not so much padding. Look at Creedmoor Sports coats. The rubber pads aren't so much for padding as they are for grips. Rubber pads on the elbows so the elbows grip the ground or mat. Rubber pad on the shoulder to the butt plate won't slip. Rubber pads on the support bicep so the sling doesn't slip.

Again, contact Creedmoor Sports. You can set custom measurements if need be.