View Full Version : What is "good" handgun skill?

09-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Are there any objective standards for pistol marksmanship?

I'm mostly looking for groupings at 3, 7 and 10 yards.

I am familiar with the basic pistol marksmanship standards (including expert) on the Transtional Target II (green blob), and those standards seem pretty easy to me.

09-21-2009, 3:26 PM
You might want to get the mods to move this post into the regular handgun forum as opposed to the picture gallery were it is now so it'll get a lot more traffic

09-21-2009, 5:25 PM
In a defensive role if you are keeping all of your shots within an 8" circle in the upper chest out to 25m then it is all about balancing your speed an accuracy... Nobody is "good enough"... Keep pushing yourself to make your shots faster

That of course is simply talking about stationary shooting... Be sure to incorporate movement (preferably you and the target) not to mention drawing from concealment, firing from unorthodox positions (prone, kneeling, under cover, on your back)

Don't forget to practice drawing, firing and fixing malfunctions with your support hand only as well as strong hand only

10-08-2009, 3:58 PM
Now are you referring to being a CCW Permit person? If you can stay within a 10 inch circle your good to go, speed wise you want to be able to draw/fire and hit target at 21 ft, under 1.5 seconds. Then you work hard on getting your time under 1 second!!! It takes lots and lots of practice, especially if your moving away while shooting at the target. :D

If your speaking of competition, you need a good pistol that can shoot groups of 3 inches at 50 yards for starters and those that are winning can cut that down to 2-inches. Then YOU and the pistol must become one and be able to steady shoot small groups fast. Those good shooters burn up around 12,000 to 15,000 rounds a year. National Champions, shoot up around 500 easy day at the range, to 1000 rounds a day.