PDA

View Full Version : Transferring firearm to sibling?

esskay
10-05-2005, 11:54 PM
Firearm tranfer within "immediate family" does not need to go through an FFL. $19 fee and gun has to be legal to transfer (i.e. not assault weapon but need not be on the "approved list" if a handgun), but no 10 day wait, no HSC card required, no safe affidavit, etc. However, IIRC, "immediate" family is defined as parent<->child or grandparent<->grandchild only. It does not include brother<->sister as far as I know.

Is this interpretation correct?

If so, then to transfer a gun to a sibling you'd have to do a PPT right? (or ship to an FFL) And sit through the 10 day wait, HSC, proof of residency, safe handling, blah blah...

It seems that perhaps another way to do it would be to transfer the gun to your parent ($19 fee), then for the parent to transfer the gun to the sibling (second $19 fee).

Any thoughts?

imported_lunde
10-06-2005, 4:00 AM
Your interpretation is correct. Furthermore, if you want to first transfer the firearm to a parent ($19), then have it transferred from the parent to your sibling (another $19), you'd need to wait on the second transfer until you get the confirmation letter from the CA DOJ for the first one. That's longer than the ten-day waiting period. You're better off doing a PPT.

Mssr. Eleganté
10-06-2005, 6:16 AM
For "family" handgun transfers, the person receiving the handgun does need to have an HSC.

And for "family" long gun transfers, there is no registration or fee. So for long guns, the child to parent then parent to other child trick will work as a way to transfer the gun.

jnojr
10-09-2005, 9:31 AM
Originally posted by lunde:
Your interpretation is correct. Furthermore, if you want to first transfer the firearm to a parent ($19), then have it transferred from the parent to your sibling (another $19), you'd need to wait on the second transfer until you get the confirmation letter from the CA DOJ for the first one. That's longer than the ten-day waiting period. You're better off doing a PPT.

Where do you get that?

My mom gave me a Sig P226 (I love you, Mom! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ). I filled out the form and sent it in with a check. I never got any "confirmation letter". I've never seen any requirement for such a letter. AFAIK, my mom and I could transfer guns back and forth between us as often as we wanted, and it would just cost $19 each time.

imported_EOD Guy
10-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Deleted because I can't read. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

bwiese
10-09-2005, 1:35 PM
For parent, grandparent, child "interfamilial" transfers this form is used:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

Sibling transfers do not count as interfamilial.

However, this can be arranged as sibling 1 transferring handgun to parent/grandparent who in turn transfers to sibling #2. Papers must be filed for all recipients of course, and the recipients (both the target sibling #2 - and the intervening parent/grandparent) must also have HSCs now.

The supplementary text on the form does indicate that a confirmation letter will be sent for each transfer:

....Incomplete applications will be returned without processing..{snip}... A firearms eligibility check will be conducted to determine whether you are lawfully eligible to possess firearms. Once approved, you will receive a confirmation notice of your transaction.

You do have to get your sequencing right to do things this way - first the parent has to file, wait a bit, then the 2nd sibling has to file. I do gather that the DOJ processes these rather quickly, and don't think that you have to wait for first transfer to be confirmed by mail before 2nd is filed. Wait a few days between each filing.

Remember, you also have this going for you:
CPC 12078(d)(1): Subdivision (d) of Section 12072 shall not apply to the infrequent loan of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration and, when the firearm is a handgun, commencing Jan 1, 2003, the individual being loaned the handgun has a valid handgun safety certificate.

So as long as everyone's certain there's no legal disability amongst all parties, there's a 30+30 day window here...

Bill Wiese
San Jose