PDA

View Full Version : hi-cap mags Vegas???

02-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks Technical Ted

02-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks Technical Ted

Technical Ted
02-14-2005, 12:15 PM
If you don't plan to do anything illegal then there's no point in answering this hypothetical question on a public forum.

ETA: If you really must know, check this thread http://calguns.net/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=545600176&m=68910637021

02-14-2005, 12:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hicap:

(edited for "security" reasons) - BB <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... you'd certainly be the first person to ever do this sort of thing. The sanctity of our state laws, especially those that are unenforceable, is held in the highest regard by the residents.

<span class="ev_code_GREY">Good luck on your smuggling project.</span>

02-14-2005, 1:08 PM
I called a gun shop in Vegas and asked the clerk there about my hypothetical question. He simply asked me whats more important, 15 round magazines or my freedom? Given that what I'm asking is a felony, this question is going stay hypothetical. I'll sacrifice the extra 5 rounds in order to stay out of jail. I still think California has *** backwards laws when it comes to firearms.

bwiese
02-14-2005, 2:17 PM
Hicap...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'll sacrifice the extra 5 rounds in order to stay out of jail. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a good decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I still think California has *** backwards laws when it comes to firearms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dude, you're preaching to the choir.

BTW, it is NOT illegal for you to purchase hicap mags outside of CA and to store them out of state. No law prevents you from buying in, say, Vegas: CA law does prevent you from importing them into CA on/after 1/1/00.

That's why lots of us here went on hicap mag and assault weapon buying binges in 1999.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

endings1@aol.com
02-14-2005, 2:36 PM
Welp, CA residents can still buy 10 rd. Glock 23 mags and cram 15 rds. of 9mm(for your Glock 19)in them legally.

Same with the 10rd. .40 caliber Springfield XD and Berretta 96 mags so I've heard.

I don't even own a Glock 19 yet, but plan on buying a Glock 23 mag and a box of Winchester white-box 9mm next payday to try it out.

Rascal
02-14-2005, 3:01 PM
Here's what you do.
Go to LasVegas and open up a checking account at one of the Vegas banks, and get a saftey deposit box. Go buy all the Hi-cap mags you want, and store them in the saftey deposit box that you just got. Now anytime you go shooting in Nevada, you can use those hi-caps to your hearts content. Just make sure that you put them back in the saftey deposit box when you are finished.
One more thing, make sure that the bank is still open so you can put them back.

bwiese
02-14-2005, 3:37 PM
Stanze,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> CA residents can still buy 10 rd. Glock 23 mags and cram 15 rds. of 9mm (for your Glock 19)in them legally. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't go telling folks this is legal. Doubt if you get caught, but don't lead others astray.

Misusing a magazine for the wrong caliber could readily be regarded in court as constructing a hicap magazine. And since this happened after 1/1/2000, it is illegal in CA.

If it happened before 1/1/2000, it'd've been OK in CA, but would have been a violation of Fed law.

Although the Fed AWB 'Crime Bill' and its hicap mag limits sunset this September, the BATFs guidance during 9/1994-9/2004 period could be used as guidance to a state court - and I've seen various ATF statements (sorry, forgot where) where loading a mag with different caliber ammo to get higher capacity is considered a no-no.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Technical Ted
02-14-2005, 3:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bwiese:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I still think California has *** backwards laws when it comes to firearms. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dude, you're preaching to the choir. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
+1

You're not going to find anyone here to argue that point with.

I was just in Texas where I had some eye opening experiences:
http://calguns.net/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=888602736&f=2386094772&m=32810254121&r=45310194121#45310194121

colossians323
02-14-2005, 3:50 PM
Hicap
I am sure that like most of the other members of this board, before the ban went into effect, you and all of us other law abiding Kalifornians purchased a gaggle of regular capacity (hi-cap to anti gunners) magazines for guns that you did not even own yet, knowing that you were going to buy them in the future.
I personally bought hundreds of these magazines at gun shows for cash.
The burden of proof is on the Government.
and unless they have an informant that can be a witness to dispute your claim they are SOL.
If you need to replace sojme of the parts for your existing regular capacity magazines, it is quite legal to buy complete magazines, and disassemble them, and replace the parts of your existing magazines.
Do not assemble new magazines, this is against the law, and you don't want to break the law.

Good Luck!

BigAL
02-14-2005, 5:54 PM
I was lucky enough to turn 18 and buy a Bushmaster just before the ban went into effect. Unfortunately I didn't buy many hi caps but I'm trying to make up for that now that I'm out of state.

ivanimal
02-14-2005, 7:05 PM
I own a ton of mags for guns I cant even have, thats the problem with this state. I will someday have a house in a free state where I can visit them. For now they are legal and I sometimes can shoot with friends that own these weapons legally. Funny thing is they have never even aproached the subject of me selling them to them. They know I would never even think of breaking the law. That is how you need to think in this state. I never have to look over my shoulder either.

Roboshred
02-14-2005, 7:06 PM
I always find it interesting that these topics are started by folks that are pretty much newbies to the site. I somehow smell a <span class="ev_code_RED">red herring http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif</span>

Snorkel Bob
02-14-2005, 9:03 PM
Yes, lets not take this any further on what can "possibly" be done without getting caught. We all know its not legal and lets leave it at that.
I know everyone here would prefer not to have any D.O.J eyes upon us, so lets not bring it upon ourselves with questions we already know the answer to.

02-14-2005, 9:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snorkel Bob:
Yes, lets not take this any further on what can "possibly" be done without getting caught. We all know its not legal and lets leave it at that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, man...

I was just going to start a discussion about lightning links and homemade incendiary-tracer-cop-killer ammunition too.

Snorkel Bob
02-14-2005, 10:47 PM
ya ya I know, Im the party pooper http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
Just want to make sure the thread didnt go any further. I have to deal with ATF and DOJ all the time and I sure as hell dont want to deal with DOJ here.
As much as the laws suck-***, we need to behave when others can watch.

Technical Ted
02-14-2005, 11:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snorkel Bob:
As much as the laws suck-***, we need to behave when others can watch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yup. We need to be a shining example. Cross our T's, dot our I's, and mind our P's and Q's http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif