PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area shooting ranges- Where and why?

American Canyon
02-22-2005, 7:57 AM
Where is your preferred practice range in the Bay Area?

American Canyon
02-22-2005, 7:57 AM
Where is your preferred practice range in the Bay Area?

trempel_ry@yahoo.com
02-22-2005, 8:19 AM
Indoor - Jackson Arms. Pros - they're reasonably priced, allow rapid fire and have friendly staff. Cons - their ammo selection is nonexistent, you have to use their targets.

Outdoor - Chabot Gun Club. Pros - Fairly cheap. If you bring a receipt from a new gun purchase, you shoot for free. Although expensive, they have a good selection of ammo in case you forgot yours. RSOs keep an eye on gangsta wannabes, SEAL commandos and the old folks that don't follow the safety rules. Cons - accessability to the 200-yard range is limited. You can't shoot anything other than paper. No water jugs, steel plates, etc. Too damn far from where I live http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

bwiese
02-22-2005, 10:01 AM
Indoor:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Jackson Arms/SSF - Nice folks, shoot there mostly cuz my buddies shoot there too.

<LI>TargetMasters/Milpitas Haven't shot there for quite awhile, really should: they're open til midnight!
[/list]

Outdoor:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>Coyote Point Firing Range (San Mateo) - Cool in some ways, because this is only rifle range open late evenings. It's open Mon/Wed/Fri 7pm-10pm but doesn't allow large-bore handguns (only rimfire). However, all rifles welcome, including evil black rifles - since this range is run by Sheriff's/Parks Dept, bring your AW registration if you're shooting an AW.

<LI>Los Altos Rod & Gun - Great range. Safe, well-administered. Just a drag to have to drive thru the hills, wish it were a tad more accessible. Also wish it had 200+yd targets but beggars can't be choosers http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

<LI>Sunnyvale Rod & Gun - nice, smaller range. Only limited days/hrs open to nonmembers.
[/list]

Bill Wiese
San Jose

CraigC
02-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Moved from the bay area 6 months ago to L.A.

Indoor - Reed's (Santa Clara). Pro's: they allow you to do holster work and rapid fire upon certain qualifications, good prices, esp on ammo (everywhere else I know sells the cheaper stuff at the same price as the Federal you buy at Reed's). Knowledgeable staff is friendly and not pushy.
"Con's:" If they don't know you, or you look sketchy, they'll watch you like a hawk. Too many incidents of new shooters not following the rules and endangering others. They'll ease up once you show up a few times and show you're responsible. If you're the kind of shooter who likes to push the rule envelope because you feel entitled to it, this is not the place for you.

Outdoor - Metcalf in San Jose.
Pro's: It's cheap, and it was close by where I lived. 200 yard range accessible once per month, no further membership required.

Con's: It gets a little crowded on the weekends, the shooting benches are rickety, and there's no ammo to be bought out there.

American Canyon
02-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Shooting Gallery in Vacaville- Indoor public range- but they also have a nice seperate Private Range for members. Double-taps allowed - no rapid-fire. I never shot anywhere else because it's nearby.

Martinez Gun Club- for trap/skeet shooting only.

rkt88edmo
02-22-2005, 10:14 AM
USI
Inexpensive, close to home, get to boogie down on the action pistol range.

Lots of different competitions and activities (http://www.diablorodandgun.com/schedule.html) in a ton of different disciplines.

trever1t
02-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Los Altos Rod & Gun
Pro-assorted ranges and trap, cooler on hot summer days
con- too far and not too many mil-surp shooters!

Metcalf
pro- close. assorted ranges, alot of people shooting milsurp.
con- does tend to get a little busy.

Bacon
02-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Places to shoot in the Bay Area:
http://www.dragunov.net/bay_area_ranges.htm

ivanimal
02-22-2005, 11:55 AM

This is an old list but may help if you are looking for new venues and just want to see what is out there. There is commentary as well, I like to form my own opinion. I usually just go to my sisters house in rural Vacaville, that way I get fed as well!

edizon
02-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm beginning to really like the San Leandro rifle/pistol range. It costs $10 and you can shoot there all day long. The indoor range is clean and hardly anyone shooting during the day. Their outdoor range is fun too. You'll need soft/hollow point bullets for the 100yd range. I normally call first to see if the ranges are open or reserved for the police. The range is open 'til 9pm.

Colonel Klink
02-22-2005, 12:33 PM
A friend of mine and I shoot once a week, or so, at San Leandro Rifle and Pistol Range. They have indoor and outdoor lanes. You can shoot your .45 and .308 at the same place for an additional target cost of $.50.

Can you shoot during the day on Mondays or Tuesdays? If you can you are welcome to join us. PM me at fmcdh@sbcglobal.net

schizrade
02-22-2005, 2:36 PM
Chabot is my haunt of choice.

Pros: Lots of room, even when a lot of people are there. Good facilities. Good range staff. Ammo on site if you run out and MUST cause more paper homicide. Shell casing lawns are a nice touch. Targets are cheap $.50. Off in the middle of nowhere.

Cons: There is always one or more idiots there either emptying mags in 4 seconds or talking **** to people. Can become a swamp when it is wet. Can't get your gun off (rapid fire insanity) which while keeping people safe from smacktards, does not allow non-smacktards to practice rapid fire. Off in the middle of nowhere.

American Canyon
02-22-2005, 2:47 PM
2 things came to mind...
I heard a "rumor" about a new range in the North Bay in the Fairfield area. Can't find anything on the net... Anyone know about it?

Also..I might drop by a range in Sonoma County...Montana Hawk...any thoughts?

edizon
02-22-2005, 6:52 PM
The local Glock rep also mentioned that a new gunshop and range was opening up on the I-80 freeway somewhere in the Fairfield area. He says it can be seen off the freeway. I haven't seen it though and it sure would be nice to have another local gunshop/range to visit!

Ratters
02-22-2005, 7:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ivanimal:

This is an old list but may help if you are looking for new venues and just want to see what is out there. There is commentary as well, I like to form my own opinion. I usually just go to my sisters house in rural Vacaville, that way I get fed as well! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, when are you inviting us???

I prefer Chabot for outdoor even though it is a bit of a hike. I've had some not so great experiences with the rangemasters at USI plus they won't let you use military (steel jacketed) ammo there. Luckily like Ivan I also have some other options for shooting.

For indoor I like Target Masters and the Shooting Gallerey. There is one in San Rafael that my friend uses and likes but I've never been there. Guns and Gear in Vacaville is going to be opening up a range in Vacaville sometime this year I think.

ivanimal
02-22-2005, 9:25 PM
sure ratters lets go!

American Canyon
02-24-2005, 11:21 AM
The guys at Guns and Gear said the new range is targeted to open this June off of Butcher Rd in Vacavile. Can't wait to check it out...

shooterx10
02-24-2005, 3:54 PM
Anyone know the name of the new range that is opening up near Vacaville? According to the map, Butcher Road is not too far off of I-80 so perhaps a sneak peek is in order.

I've been to mostly every range in the Bay Area, and all of them are great. However, my only gripe is Coyote Point. No handguns allowed greater than .22, for rifles, you have to shoot out of this port/window, and they are open MWF from 7-10PM[?]. Also, the range officers there get all skittish and crotchety in their undies if you bring an EVIL AND VILE ASSAULT WEAPON! http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

If you want a free-for-all range where anything goes, check out Circle S Ranch in Petaluma. It's like shooting in some guy's front yard! Facilities aren't that great and it can get pretty windy. You can shoot anything there, even .50's.

bwiese
02-24-2005, 4:30 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">shooterx10 wrote:
...my only gripe is Coyote Point... they are open MWF from 7-10PM[?]. Also, the range officers there get all skittish and crotchety in their undies if you bring an EVIL AND VILE ASSAULT WEAPON! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For some of us, being open MWF 7pm-10pm is GREAT!! Hell, lotsa places are open during daytime. This way you can shooting after work, then get Mexican food at Celia's or hit Max's afterwards. Beats drive into Los Altos hills etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">shooterx10 wrote:
Coyote Point... the range officers there get all skittish and crotchety in their undies if you bring an EVIL AND VILE ASSAULT WEAPON! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You may have run into one weird rangemaster.

I've shot there numerous times over the past years with AWs - multiple ARs and an AR10. I've seen lotsa ARs, FALs and some HK9Xs and Steyr AUGs there.

No special attention to me by range volunteers or sheriff any more or less than the bolt gun guys.

You do have to show your AW reg - that's expected, since it's a range operated by Sheriff's Ofc./Parks Dept: they can't exactly condone felonies (unreg'd AW use on county property).

Bill Wiese
San Jose

minion82@yahoo.com
02-24-2005, 6:59 PM
Wow, no one has mentioned Richmond yet?

I've found them to be nice folks. Cheaper than Chabot, and much closer to civilization. Major downside is the pistol range is 25 yards only. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

shooterx10
02-25-2005, 10:51 AM
Minion,

If you shoot the IPSC practice at Richmond R&G on Saturdays, you can use the shooting bays and some have targets set up beyond 25 yards. However, a certified range officer has to be here to supervise you.

Kinda cool to walk around with a holstered gun (unloaded) and check out the expen$ive raceguns (STI, SVI, Para's) out there.

I can shoot the 6-shot plate rack all day! Also, you can chrono your loads if the chrono is set up as well as shoot a stage. http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Turbinator
02-27-2005, 8:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tooTactical:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
You do have to show your AW reg - that's expected, since it's a range operated by Sheriff's Ofc./Parks Dept </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't believe you wrote that!

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Curious, why not?

Turby

bwiese
02-27-2005, 2:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tooTactical:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bwiese:
You do have to show your AW reg - that's expected, since it's a range operated by Sheriff's Ofc./Parks Dept </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't believe you wrote that!

http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't you believe that?

You and I both don't like that, the concept of registration, the CA AW ban, etc. That has nothing to do with my post's statement:

...as much as we don't like it, it is entirely logical that if a law exists that requires an item (esp a perceived dangerous item) to be registered, with felony penalties for nonregistraion, that facilities operated by a police dept. (or agency with police powers) would require production of said registration documents so that felonies are not committed on their property.

Hell, I wouldn't let an unregistered AW in my home - too much legal risk.

I know DMV facilities for example regularly check their parking lots for cars w/outdated registrations.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

ScorpioVI
03-01-2005, 1:00 PM
Indoor = 10th St. Range Why? Less than 10 minutes away. I have 24/7 access to the place. I can shoot from the holster, do whatever-I-want-fire, and I am my own RSO.

Outdoor = Metcalf - Less than 10 minutes away. Decent facilities. Personally acquianted with the rangemaster and range officers (all good guys) and generally have a headache-free time everytime I go there (unless somebody's shooting a .50 next to me). Oh, I also have access to the 200yd and special-purpose range as part of club benefits. Chabot is nice too, nicer than Metcalf even but it's 1 hour away from me.

bwiese
03-01-2005, 2:24 PM
ScorpioVI--

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScorpioVI:
Indoor = 10th St. Range Why? Less than 10 minutes away. I have 24/7 access to the place. I can shoot from the holster, do whatever-I-want-fire, and I am my own RSO. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me about 10th Street range. I know of it but never been there. Not too far from me - I live by Capitol & 87.

And how do you get 24/7 access? Wheee!!! I'd LOVE to go shooting at 11pm then midnight breakfast afterwards! Fits my schedule GREAT!

Bill Wiese
San Jose

ScorpioVI
03-01-2005, 3:45 PM
ScorpioVI--
Tell me about 10th Street range. I know of it but never been there. Not too far from me - I live by Capitol & 87.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, it's our own dirty little secret. There's honestly not much to the range. 1 indoor 50-foot bay, 5 firing lanes. Primitive pulley/elbow-grease target system. Public hours are 6:30PM-9:30PM (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays) and 2PM-5PM (Saturdays). Costs $5/hour plus $2.50 for every additional half-hour. Free targets.

Pistols, 22 to 45 caliber (No magnums or hardball ammo)
Rifles, small bore Rimfire only
Eye and ear protection required and available at the range.

More info: http://www.scvrc.com/10th_street.htm

On Saturday nights we hold action pistol events at the 10th St. Range. Some pictures from these events:

http://www.tacticalpursuits.com/images/shooting/020115_peter_prone.jpg

http://www.tacticalpursuits.com/images/shooting/031025_cgs_onthemove.jpg

http://www.tacticalpursuits.com/images/shooting/021109_deadmeat_ononeknee.jpg

And how do you get 24/7 access? Wheee!!! I'd LOVE to go shooting at 11pm then midnight breakfast afterwards! Fits my schedule GREAT!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See your Private Messages for details.

Turbinator
03-01-2005, 8:08 PM
If you don't allow hardball ammo, do all of y'alls just shoot cast lead or something??

Turby

Yute
03-02-2005, 6:52 AM
forgive my newbness questions but I'm a rather new resident http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Does anyone have any pictures of Coyote point's rifle range? I would like to see how the window/port set up works and the distance of the rifle range.
Is it bright enough at night to be able to zero a rifle?
and lastly, how to people join the coyote point pistol and rifle club - is it a private thing?

Thanks a bunch!

bwiese
03-02-2005, 8:06 AM
Yute85...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yute85 wrote:
Does anyone have any pictures of Coyote point's rifle range? would like to see how the window/ port set up works and the distance of the rifle range. Is it bright enough at night to be able to zero a rifle? and lastly, how to people join the coyote point pistol and rifle club - is it a private thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, no pictures... maybe someone else?

The window/port opening is about 14"-18" square (? approx. -can't remember exactly), and sandbags are provided. Each shooting position is essentially a shooting bench and metal stool. It's pretty good for most every kind of rifle.

The downrange target area is lit by floodlamps below ground level (target area is in a shallow trench). So even when it's dark you see a pretty well-lit target. The shooting area is lit too, of course, and the shooting positions are covered w/roof, back and side walls and wind isn't a big factor at all.

Shoots last 10-15 minutes (depends on number of shooters etc) with a 5 min target-change session.

Spotting scopes, "eyes & ears" etc are for rent. They will hold your drivers' license as security. They sell targets too. Ammunition is not sold anymore as I recall - unlike the good ol' days of the 1980s.

Coyote Pt. Firing Range is open Mon/Wed/Fri evenings only, 7pm-10pm. Last fire session is usally a long one (15-20min) and the staff is understandably hot & bothered to get outta there as soon as they can after 10pm.

Any caliber rifle is allowed (prob not 50BMG though). However, only rimfire handguns are allowed - no larger calibers. You _might_ be allowed to use a scoped bolt-action rifle-caliber pistol like a T/C or an XP100 at a rifle position, but ask.

The regular rifle range is 100yds. I believe in the rimfire area 22LR rifles can be shot at 25? 50? yds too, but not sure.

You are free to shoot assault weapons (as defined by Calif.) there - lotsa guys shoot ARs and FALs there. This range is not private, though - it's run by a combination of the Sheriff's Dept. and Parks & Rec so they WILL ask for your AW registration papers. Don't rapid fire, one shot every second or so is cool.

Usu. the range is staffed by volunteers from the club. I have occasionally seen a sheriff deputy in the booth but that was 3+? years ago.
The club may have some daytime range access, not sure - during days the Sheriff's Office seems to use it too for practice. Otherwise than that I do not know anything about club membership - but you might see info posted there when you go in the evening.

Coyote Pt is really the only hi-power rifle range I know around here open in the late evening.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

imported_1911_sfca
03-04-2005, 1:29 PM
I am taking a police firearms class there (coyote Pt) in the evenings. I'll try and take some pictures next time I'm there...

BigAL
03-04-2005, 1:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by San Francisco, 1911:
I am taking a police firearms class there (coyote Pt) in the evenings. I'll try and take some pictures next time I'm there... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me more about this class. Who runs it? Is it for cops only? Do they let you shoot centerfire pistol?

bwiese
03-04-2005, 2:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(re: Coyote Pt.) Tell me more about this class. Who runs it? Is it for cops only? Do they let you shoot centerfire pistol? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'd love to hear more about this.

When and at what positions can centerfire pistols be shot at Coyote Pt. range? Anyone know?

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Yute
03-04-2005, 4:09 PM
Thanks bwiese for that info! that helps me out a lot!
1911, will be looking foward to you photos http://calguns.net/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif thanks!

kalibear
03-07-2005, 9:18 AM
I go to San Leandro Rifle & Pistol Range on Saturday nights for the steel poppers and bowling pins challenge!

phaseshift
08-28-2013, 1:36 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back for, the dead but it's very informative and I was looking for a thread like this.

I plan on going to the Los altos gun club tomorrow. I was reading that they sell ear and eye pro. What kind of ear pro do they have? Do they have Howard leights?

big jim
08-28-2013, 3:25 PM
Watch out at target masters after about 6pm. Been muzzle swept by the homies who were renting. They tried to start things outside after I told them they do it one more time and I'll take it as a threat and respond accordingly. No I am not an internet or real world tuff guy but if someone points a gun at me I take offence.

Chabot is a nice place to go, can get crowded on weekends.

San Leandro is probably my favorite. On Saturday afternoons they do a steel shoot, I need to get a holster for my .40 so I can participate.(holster cannot be nylon)

I used to have a friend that I could shoot on her property which was great but they moved, no range rules just the basic safety rules

ETA whoops guess I should have looked at the post dates before replying. Although this will have good info for anyone looking