PDA

View Full Version : So I lost my "papers"

50 Freak
05-09-2005, 5:33 PM
Can't find my AW registration letter. I used to carry a mini version in my wallet in case I ever got pulled over with my AWs in the trunk. Thought I put the original in the safe, but can't find the sucker.

How do I get a replacement. Anyone know?

LongBch_SigP226
05-09-2005, 7:27 PM
Just call them at (916) 227-3694.
If you registered then you got nothing
to worry about right?

bwiese
05-10-2005, 2:59 PM
It should be OK. Call DOJ Assault Weapon desk that Ding mentioned above.

Do note there's no legal need to carry your AW papers with your AW; your DL# and gun description/ serial # are good enough if a cop decides to check it out.

I keep multiple copies in my safe and a couple of copies in my vehicle, and reduced copies in each rifle case. Just in case.

IMPORTANT... if you ever move out of CA for awhile yet hope to re-enter CA (either for visit or for moving back) with AWs, keep your paperwork!!!

There is nothing in AW law that says if you move out you lose your AW registration: once acquired, it is NOT legally tied to residency.
There is nothing in law/regulation that says registrations are cleared when you move out of state, either.

(I do think you are required to update DOJ as to your current address however.) If you lost your paperwork and no longer had a Calif D/L, their database at DOJ might put it in a big black hole, or they have to go back to paper records to find it. Having paper backup would really help things out if there were ever a problem.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

stator
05-11-2005, 6:31 AM
The registration expires when one no longer is a resident of the state. Upon re-establishing residency, one must re-register. Like everything else, there are exceptions to the rule. These usually hindge upon those that must live somewhere else but do not lose resident status.

For the average Joe, it is important to understand the impact of acquiring a DL in another state. CA DOJ hooks into the CA DL database as their main source of residency status. When someone obtains an out-of-state DL, that state sends an notice to CA of issuance. That issuance is logged into the CA DL database and remains there.

LongBch_SigP226
05-11-2005, 6:50 AM
(I do think you are required to update DOJ as to your current address however.)

Can anyone confirm this? I moved since I registered my AR with CA DOJ and I need
to know if it is required or not. I did update my DMV records (Vehicle regi + DL).

Turbinator
05-11-2005, 8:15 AM
Originally posted by stator:
The registration expires when one no longer is a resident of the state. Upon re-establishing residency, one must re-register. Like everything else, there are exceptions to the rule. These usually hindge upon those that must live somewhere else but do not lose resident status.

Huh? So are you saying that one could actually move out and come back in, and register an AW? I'm not sure this is correct!

Turby

stator
05-13-2005, 6:17 AM
Originally posted by Turbinator:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stator:

Huh? So are you saying that one could actually move out and come back in, and register an AW? I'm not sure this is correct!

Turby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely, but don't confuse registration as approval. Most will not receive approval.

Turbinator
05-13-2005, 7:25 AM
So what do you mean when you say that one must re-register upon re-entry into the state? I am not sure about the usage of the word "register" in this context - because registration period ended long ago.

Just looking for clarification. Thanks!

Turby

delloro
05-13-2005, 7:28 AM
Originally posted by DingChavez:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
(I do think you are required to update DOJ as to your current address however.)

Can anyone confirm this? I moved since I registered my AR with CA DOJ and I need
to know if it is required or not. I did update my DMV records (Vehicle regi + DL). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I can confirm. DOJ automatically updates your AW registratiuon with your DMV changes. I called and asked.

bwiese
05-13-2005, 1:21 PM
Stator..

Stator wrote:
The registration expires when one no longer is a resident of the state. Upon reestablishing residency, one must re-register.

Where do you find that and/or who told that to you?

<LI> There is NOTHING in the authorizing PC 122xx law that says CA AW registration(s) expire/become void if you move out or discontinue holding a Calif D/L and don't get a CA ID card.

<LI> The law does grant DOJ/Firearms some basic authority to set up details of a registration process - for basic data collection. The form and style of data collection, other than legally specified basic ownership info, cannot cause a registration status change.

<LI> AW registration registers the GUN in question, and associates it with a person. In order to be registered, the person needs to be a resident AT TIME OF REGISTRATION so a link to CA D/L or ID information is required AT THAT TIME only. If they continue using this linkage, it is for mere database convenience only.

<LI> The association with Calif DL and/or ID card after registration is a data-maintenance convenience. If you let your DL expire and don't have an ID card, the DOJ should not and cannot delete your AW registration.

<LI> If they delete your AW reg because you move out of state, Cal DOJ is illegally exceeding its mandated authority.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

50 Freak
05-13-2005, 1:56 PM
Yes, I can confirm. DOJ automatically updates your AW registratiuon with your DMV changes. I called and asked.

You sure about that? When I called to get a copy of AW "papers" they had my old address and I know for a fact I had moved and changed address on my DMV records a couple of years ago. Could be they are just really really slow.

Interesting thing though, I was talking to the DOJ lady and I asked if a lot of people registered their AW, and she said only a small percentage did and they she thinks most thought their AW was already registered when they did their 4473. So basically there are a ton of Californian out there in posession of what they think are "legal" AW. Sucks to be them if they ever get pulled over. But personally I hope the DOJ/CA Atty General start doing a crackdown on these people. I want to sit back and see the public outlash when Billy Jo's 65 year old dad is being dragged off to jail for owning a "illegal AW" he's had for the last 30 something years.

stator
05-13-2005, 3:53 PM
Originally posted by Turbinator:
So what do you mean when you say that one must re-register upon re-entry into the state? I am not sure about the usage of the word "register" in this context - because registration period ended long ago.

Just looking for clarification. Thanks!

Turby

The registration period for me and, most likely you plus all of the other tax-paying, CA residents without political approbation ended long ago. However, the registration process is ongoing and a registration form exits. An example are those in the military who are stationed in CA with personal AW's who continue to use the registration form and process.

Originally posted by bwiese:
If they delete your AW reg because you move out of state, Cal DOJ is illegally exceeding its mandated authority.

Registrations are never deleted, if you filed, approved or not, you're in there. The "mandate", if it could be called that, would come from the purpose of SB23 which was to eliminate private ownership of AWs in CA. All private ownership of AWs by CA residents have an expiration date. It is just that God does not tell us that date. If a CA resident establishes residency in another state and moves, the CA-DOJ takes advantage of that and moves up the AW expiration date using the "mandate" or intent of SB23.

delloro
05-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 50 Freak:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yes, I can confirm. DOJ automatically updates your AW registratiuon with your DMV changes. I called and asked.

You sure about that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am absolutely sure that what I was told when I called CADOJ and asked how to change my AW registration address.

LongBch_SigP226
05-14-2005, 11:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Yes, I can confirm. DOJ automatically updates your AW registratiuon with your DMV changes. I called and asked.

You sure about that? When I called to get a copy of AW "papers" they had my old address and I know for a fact I had moved and changed address on my DMV records a couple of years ago. Could be they are just really really slow.

Interesting thing though, I was talking to the DOJ lady and I asked if a lot of people registered their AW, and she said only a small percentage did and they she thinks most thought their AW was already registered when they did their 4473. So basically there are a ton of Californian out there in posession of what they think are "legal" AW. Sucks to be them if they ever get pulled over. But personally I hope the DOJ/CA Atty General start doing a crackdown on these people. I want to sit back and see the public outlash when Billy Jo's 65 year old dad is being dragged off to jail for owning a "illegal AW" he's had for the last 30 something years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Maybe it was updated but she was checking to see if you are the actual owner. If you can't recall your old address then you are probably not the actual owner.

dwtt
05-14-2005, 3:53 PM

So basically there are a ton of Californian out there in posession of what they think are "legal" AW. But personally I hope the DOJ/CA Atty General start doing a crackdown on these people. I want to sit back and see the public outlash when Billy Jo's 65 year old dad is being dragged off to jail for owning a "illegal AW" he's had for the last 30 something years.

Given the leaning of the media, you will never see Billy Jo's 65 year old dad being dragged off to jail. They will only show some Oakland crips being arrested to prove that the AW ban is removing these evil guns off the street and society is being saved. I'm sorry, but I don't trust the government or the media.

Bling Bling
05-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by dwtt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 50 Freak:

So basically there are a ton of Californian out there in posession of what they think are "legal" AW. But personally I hope the DOJ/CA Atty General start doing a crackdown on these people. I want to sit back and see the public outlash when Billy Jo's 65 year old dad is being dragged off to jail for owning a "illegal AW" he's had for the last 30 something years.

Given the leaning of the media, you will never see Billy Jo's 65 year old dad being dragged off to jail. They will only show some Oakland crips being arrested to prove that the AW ban is removing these evil guns off the street and society is being saved. I'm sorry, but I don't trust the government or the media. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they will show it in the media but they will make Billy Jo out to be an EVIL bad guy. Probably by calling him Hakim Abdul Billy Jo and say that he was about to shoot down a 747 with one shot from a .50 BMG.

icormba
05-18-2005, 6:56 PM
Originally posted by Bling Bling:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwtt:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 50 Freak:

Given the leaning of the media, you will never see Billy Jo's 65 year old dad being dragged off to jail. They will only show some Oakland crips being arrested to prove that the AW ban is removing these evil guns off the street and society is being saved. I'm sorry, but I don't trust the government or the media. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they will show it in the media but they will make Billy Jo out to be an EVIL bad guy. Probably by calling him Hakim Abdul Billy Jo and say that he was about to shoot down a 747 with one shot from a .50 BMG. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they will probably just show Billy Jo's gun collection & that is probably it... no pictures of Billy Jo, the evil guns are proof enough he is evil.