PDA

View Full Version : Favorite and non-favorite gun ranges

loobett
09-20-2009, 9:24 AM
Alright spill! We all have our favorite and worst gun ranges in terms of the service, lanes, technology, rentals, cost, etc..............

El Gato
09-20-2009, 9:29 AM
my fav... hands down

http://www.5dogsrange.com/

fliparch
09-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Favorite - Angeles Shooting Range - Friendly and knowledgeable staff (if you have a question they will gladly answer), seems to attract gun enthusiasts (had conversations with a few and shared great info.), inexpensive stand rentals, inexpensive fee, nice location, nice facility, variety of ranges, etc. etc. etc.

Least Favorite - LA Gun Club - high rental fee, high entrance fee, encountered some staff with attitude, attracts what seems to be more than normal amount of questionable characters. Don't like the location.

smoothy8500
09-20-2009, 6:34 PM
Rifle- Burro Canyon, Azusa

Pistol- OnTarget, Laguna Niguel

johnthomas
09-20-2009, 8:21 PM
Were kind of stuck here in Monterey County. We have Laguna Seca, then we have Laguna Seca. There was a ranger there today, It seems much better when a uniformed officer is on the grounds. Today was a good day.
I enjoy it better when families go out and share our sport. I only go there with my son or wife.

Crusader
09-20-2009, 9:46 PM
Favorite: Lytle Creek

Least Favorite: Evan's Gunsmithing

bubbapug1
09-22-2009, 9:52 PM
Favorite Rifle - Hi-Desert Rod & Gun Club Range, kind of a haul, but its very nice

Favorite Indoor Pistol - On target Laguna Niguel

Favorite outdoor pistol - SSA Norco steel madness...no doubt, the most fun you can have next to a drive by....

Str8shutr
09-30-2009, 9:31 PM
The Gun Room in Elk Grove....
Cant shoot rifle caliber guns but clean and nice.

bballwizard05
09-30-2009, 9:48 PM
I have been to very few, plan on checking angeles oaks out, but based on the few i've been too, lytle creek is pretty good. (also close)

Range masters in santa maria is a cool place with nice people but pretty intense prices...

Black Majik
09-30-2009, 9:54 PM
Favorite: Angeles Shooting Range

Least Favorite: Evan's "Gunsmithing"

ironhiide
10-01-2009, 11:46 PM
fav: Lytle creek
least: Inland F&G (cause it's closed) :*(

too old for this
10-02-2009, 3:10 PM
When you live in San Francisco just finding an indoor range is a task and your choices are rather limited.

1.) Jackson Arm is South Francisco is my favorite because it's closest and the rates are reasonable. Having to use their targets is a negative. Bring your own ammo because what they mostly sell are reloads.

2.) Bullseye in San Rafael is my least favorite -- but its also my second choice because anything else is a much longer drive. Their lane rate are high ($20) which is one reason I don't like them. However, you can use your own targets. Gun rental selection is go and if you are thinking of buying this is a very good place to try different guns. But you don't want to buy there because they charge above list price on many guns. Also on gun transfers they quote me $150. City Arms in Pacific quotes $75.

While the question was about ranges, I do want to recommend City Arms in Pacific. They are relatively new, but have very good pricing for this area and they are nice guys.

akzl
10-05-2009, 4:11 PM
Favorite: Angeles Shooting Range

Least Favorite: Evan's "Gunsmithing"

+1
The arrogance of the young kid behind the counter as Evan's is unbelievable.

jphaxx
10-05-2009, 5:09 PM
Favorites: Prado Shooting Park, Chino & Firing Line, Huntington Beach
Least: On Target, Laguna Niguel & American Shooting Center (I think... Ruffin Rd), San Diego

kf6tac
10-05-2009, 5:25 PM
When you live in San Francisco just finding an indoor range is a task and your choices are rather limited.

1.) Jackson Arm is South Francisco is my favorite because it's closest and the rates are reasonable. Having to use their targets is a negative. Bring your own ammo because what they mostly sell are reloads.

Additional plus for Jackson Arms is that they allow rifle calibers up to 3200fps. Additional minus is that their target hangers are pretty banged up. On a lot of the lanes I find it difficult to even hang up a paper target in a way that it doesn't curl into itself or tear at the corners.

Gofasterdammit
10-05-2009, 6:51 PM

Except you can't shoot rimfire or pistol caliber centerfire "out of anything that looks like an assault weapon" at the Gun Room.

Sac Valley gets my vote as the best in the area.

retired
10-05-2009, 9:33 PM
Favorite: As has been said, Lytle Creek. It is a lot farther away since I moved, but it is worth it to me.

Another one is an outdoor range I joined in Jan. near me: Rainbow Range.

Least favorite: Inland F & G IIRC. If this is the range that had the 300lb.+ range officer, then this is the place. I know the range was in Redlands, but I only went once about 4yrs. ago.

This guy never left his chair except to get targets for sale out of a building. When cease fires were called, no RO ever walked the line to ensure weapons were empty, actions open like Lytle Creek does. Due to that lack of safety, I never returned.

sargenv
10-06-2009, 6:49 AM
Favorites Norcal:

Richmond R&G.. I'm biased since it's my home club. 25 and 100 yard lines, 200 for members, and USPSA practice every weekend 9:30-1:30 unless there is an event (like the State IDPA match this weekend (Oct 9-11)). Skeet and trap ranges (non toxic shot only, available at the range) and a Clubhouse with full bar (Members can bring guests in).

USI In Concord - Used to be my home range. 15, 25, and 100 yard public line. Skeet, Trap and 5 stand for the shotgun guys. A 200 yard line with numerous events all month which include 22 and high power sillouette, rifle and pistol matches, a 5 bay Action range (members only unfortunately) and reasonable ammo prices at both the R/P and shotgun ranges.

Yolo Sportsmen's Assn - Rifle and pistol range that I've been told is OLL friendly. A 3 bay Action range that caters to Cowboys and USPSA matches. Archery range (I assume members only), a Fishing pond (also members only I think), and a nice clubhouse. Skeet and 5 stand.

Folson Shooting Center aka Ione range - Lots of different things going on here. High power rifle ranges out to 1000 yards (for members and NRA matches). A 300 yard rifle range for the general public, 25 and 100 yard lines also, an 8 bay USPSA range with 2 matches of USPSA and at least 1 match of IDPA per month and occasional special events. I do believe they are one of the few clubs that have the capacity for long range handgun sillouette, unknown by me if they have an active contingent. I think they also have a few skeet ranges but every time I've been it never appeared open.

Hogue Range - San Luis Obispo - Rifle/Pistol range with Steel gongs out to I think 275 yards (might be farther, I am going on memory). I believe you can set up targets from 15 yards out to 100 yards for rifle or pistol. They have a 10 bay action range that hosts several events during the year and a monthly USPSA and ICORE matches (unsure about IDPA). They also host the Take-5 rimfire matches somewhat regularly. They also have trap and skeet fields, they might have an archery range also.

Birds Landing Sporting Clays - Birds Landing.. If you like sporting clays, this is one of the nicest ranges for shooting this game in the area. I think it might be a bit pricey (it was $42/100 last time I was out there, but it's been a while). They are also a fully licensed pheasant club if you are into that kind of thing. Nice clubhouse and the last time I was there they served breakfast and lunch.

Thunder Hills Sporting Clays - Willows - I was just here a few weeks ago for the first time. Nice people, friendly environment and challenging targets. $34/100 and you throw your own (ok you press a button). Reasonable price for shotgun ammo, I tend to bring my own. Closed Monday and Tuesdays. They appeared to also have a 5 stand course for $9. They have sodas and ice cream available for sale in the main range shack.

Coyote Hills Sporting Clays - A nice sporting clays range down in the Morgan Hill area. Wooded area with some really creative target presentations. It's been a couple of years since I've been here but I remember the staff as friendly and helpful. One of the prettiest locations for a sporting clays range. Can't remember pricing but I think they had shells available for sale. Not sure about food or refreshments.

That covers the ranges I've travelled to and shot at..

Mind you I've likely had some bad experiences here and there, but most of the time I've returned to ranges and had completely different experiences.. Sometimes I catch people on off days.. I have certainly had some zingers myself.

glockman19
10-06-2009, 7:11 AM
Favorite: Angeles Shooting Range, Target range Van Nuys

Least Favorite: the one with locations in Burbank, Northridge and HB.

chuckdc
10-06-2009, 9:18 AM
I don't currently have a not-favorite range, but I do have a few I'd like give a good mention to:

Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club. 2 public 100yard. Members range is 100 with room for more, metal plates out to 325yd. 1 trap house, though it's not "regulation" 5bay IPSC range with 2 matches a month. Full-length high-power range 600 yards, which can be extended to over 800 for special events. A super SASS club with their own "town".

Sun Mountain Gun club. Great facility for the shotgunners. Full Sporting Clays course. 4 trap fields 1 set for Wobble. Voice-actuated traps. 200 yard (but small) rifle range, action pistol bays (thought they are often in use for CCW classes and such). Best of all, though, are the folks who run the place.

Richmond Rod&gun. Havent shot there in a while, but the IPSC club there has been GREAT.

Sac Valley. Again, a long time since I've been there,but they were good hosts with a nice facility back when I was more active in IPSC.

ltspongebob
10-08-2009, 2:48 PM
Favorite: As has been said, Lytle Creek. It is a lot farther away since I moved, but it is worth it to me.

Another one is an outdoor range I joined in Jan. near me: Rainbow Range.

Least favorite: Inland F & G IIRC. If this is the range that had the 300lb.+ range officer, then this is the place. I know the range was in Redlands, but I only went once about 4yrs. ago.

This guy never left his chair except to get targets for sale out of a building. When cease fires were called, no RO ever walked the line to ensure weapons were empty, actions open like Lytle Creek does. Due to that lack of safety, I never returned.

I know who you're talking about :), However, in the past couple of years I've been going (before they we're closed), he was there less and less. He was typically there on the weekend mornings, weekdays had others who were more "active" in safety.

For the most part that didn't bother me, nearly all of the other shooters we're highly professional and regulars so they knew and understood safety.

It was the weekender nutjobs I worried about... You know, the 6 guys who show up with 1 gun and a bag of ammo they just got from Turners... Or the wannabe "gangstas" trying to show off to their girl of the week... :D but I digress... alot,

Sponge

Steyrlp10
10-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Favorites only because I'm lazy and enjoy the electronics:

1. Wolf Creek, Georgia

2. Prado, Chino

I don't have a least favorite yet since I have a high pain threshold - lol

ripcurlksm
10-09-2009, 1:00 PM
Outdoor: Angeles
Indoor: Irons Sights

EXAQUANINJA
10-09-2009, 8:13 PM
The worst place is the Cordova shooting center in Sacramento. The place is a **** hole. The "M" for range maintenance was forgotten and the place has the wrong crowd. Sac valley is nice and the staff are knowledgeable. The steel range is great and the 300 yd range is not bad either. Stay away from any facility with a rental AK because the thing is like a retard magnet.

SteveH
10-10-2009, 9:30 PM
Favorites:

Iron sights
On Target
Prado
Burrow

Don't like
Angeles
OC Sheriffs range at Katella

thatrogue
10-11-2009, 12:08 AM
FUD CAPITAL OF CALIFORNIA

On the other hand Lincoln Rifle Club's own Dillman Range off hwy 65 is extremely OLL friendly and is a very nice range, it has lanes from 10 feet to 200 yards plus it's a NRA range and has different competitions a few times a month.

BigMac
10-12-2009, 4:49 AM
I recently had to really re think my range choice.

My favorite range changed rules or leadership or something. Now I can no longer shoot at Los Altos R&G :mad:

I like Chabot for a measured range.. or Panoche Hills to really do some shooting.