PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Mosin Nagant...need ammo advice!

deldgeetar
09-20-2009, 1:55 AM
I was wondering what ammunition you like to run in your Mosin Nagants. I just ordered a 91/30 from Interordnance on Friday. Also, most of this ammo seems to be corrosive. I have heard Windex will stop the corrosion process from occurring when you are finished shooting. Is this true, as I will be on vacation a few days and I won't have a chance for a full cleaning after I shoot it.

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-20-2009, 2:08 AM
Clean your rifle after you shoot it. If you can't, don't shoot your rifle.

Lucky Scott
09-20-2009, 8:08 AM
If you have time to shoot, you have time to clean.
Here is what I do.

Before I leave the range, I spray Windex with ammonia down the barrel until it comes out the muzzle. I let it drip until it stops dripping, (about one minute)
Then I flush out the Windex with WD-40, same way.
Then when I get home, clean everything out with Hoppes and patches.

The Windex gets rid of the salts, the WD-40 gets rid of the Windex, and the Hoppes gets rid of everything.
Oh, I finish up with some Rem Oil.

Once you get in a routine, it is so easy.

Do not shoot and not clean the gun, EVER!

glennsche
09-20-2009, 11:19 AM
i just use a kettle and pour boiling water down the barrel. let it drip dry while you unpack and put all your stuff back in the safe, pat the dog, kiss the wife, get you cleaning kit out, etc, then clean with patches. i'd recommend eexoz (it smells so dreamy!)

the windex trick is a good one, too.

there are a lot of varying opinions on the evils of corrosive ammo. one of the guys at my local shop said to have a box of clean and to shoot it last, that it will literally blow the corrosive stuff out and then its not such an issue. it also appears to be less of an issue with the later era cold war ammo; if you're shooting stuff from the 50s, its bad; stuff from the 80s, seems to be not so bad.

i've skipped the odd day before cleaning and nothing bad's happened, but i'll agree with the gents above and clean same day. its part of the fun imho, too.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-20-2009, 11:27 AM
The Windex gets rid of the salts...

Windex is good because it is mostly made of water. The one thing you need to get rid of the corrosive salts in the bore is water. Windex also has ammonia (which will get rid of copper fouling) and detergent (which will help with the powder fouling).

But all you need to get rid of the corrosive salts is water. Boiling hot water is best because it will heat up the barrel so much that any water left in the bore evaporates.

As to which ammo to use, see if you can buy 30 to 60 rounds of various types of surplus to see what your rifle really likes. Then buy a whole bunch of whatever shoots best in your rifle. The brass cased Yugo surplus that is available right now works really well for many people. It also has non-magnetic projectiles, which means you can use it at southern California shooting ranges. I also like Czech "silvertip" surplus from the 1960's and Polish surplus from the 1980's.

rulas41
09-20-2009, 11:32 AM
i skiped all this and went with non corosive ammo im sooooo lazy il be reloading my own

Mssr. Eleganté
09-20-2009, 12:03 PM
i skiped all this and went with non corosive ammo im sooooo lazy il be reloading my own

That's funny. I shoot corrosive ammo because I'm soooo lazy. I bought all of my corrosive 7.62x54 back when it was 8˘ per round delivered. At that time non-corrosive 7.62x54 was 40˘ per round delivered. That meant a day of shooting corrosive ammo cost me about $8.00 while a day of shooting non-corrosive cost me $40.00. That's a savings of $32.00 with only 5 more minutes of work to clean for corrosive.

I'm so lazy that I chose to save the $32.00 with five minutes of work instead of working at my day job for an extra half hour to make that same amount of money. That's an extra 25 minutes of sleeping time. :)

Rem222
09-20-2009, 1:43 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/20rds-762x54r-silver-bear-203gr-sp-ammo

I shoot silver bear. It's non-corrosive and the SP is range friendly...

Kahouna
09-20-2009, 5:33 PM
If you got the cleaning kit with it, clean one side out and fill it with Windex. Run a few patches through before leaving the range while things are nice and warm. Don't forget to wipe the bolt face too.

M9er
09-20-2009, 6:17 PM
If you have time to shoot, you have time to clean.
Here is what I do.

Before I leave the range, I spray Windex with ammonia down the barrel until it comes out the muzzle. I let it drip until it stops dripping, (about one minute)
Then I flush out the Windex with WD-40, same way.
Then when I get home, clean everything out with Hoppes and patches.

The Windex gets rid of the salts, the WD-40 gets rid of the Windex, and the Hoppes gets rid of everything.
Oh, I finish up with some Rem Oil.

Once you get in a routine, it is so easy.

Do not shoot and not clean the gun, EVER!

This is why most people wont bother with old foreign rifles, the work is a pain in the butt.

Lucky Scott
09-20-2009, 6:31 PM
"This why most people wont bother with old foreign rifles, the work is a pain in the butt."

See, just like a poster said before, thats part of the fun! Really, throw a bottle or Windex and a can of WD 40 in your kit and it adds what, 2 minutes???

As for ammo, I bought two spam cans from AIM and paid .27 cents a round delivered. Thats 880 rounds and I usually go thru about a hundred rounds when I go shooting. (I also take pistols, shotguns, and a SKS)

I love my Mosin and it is my favorite gun to shoot! In fact, just picked up a M38 with a scope so now they are multiplying......

M9er
09-20-2009, 6:39 PM
"This why most people wont bother with old foreign rifles, the work is a pain in the butt."

See, just like a poster said before, thats part of the fun! Really, throw a bottle or Windex and a can of WD 40 in your kit and it adds what, 2 minutes???

As for ammo, I bought two spam cans from AIM and paid .27 cents a round delivered. Thats 880 rounds and I usually go thru about a hundred rounds when I go shooting. (I also take pistols, shotguns, and a SKS)

I love my Mosin and it is my favorite gun to shoot! In fact, just picked up a M38 with a scope so now they are multiplying......

I know, I know. Im really turned off by Russian bolt action's, Now a German bolt action, I wouldn't mind the extra time.

Cos
09-20-2009, 7:44 PM
+1

I haven't had any Mosin when their ammo was 8˘/round unfortunately, but even now you can by 880 rounds of Soviet ammo made in 80s for about $170 delivered, which makes it about 19˘/round.

On the other hand, you can get something like Silver Bear for about $10/20 rounds before delivery. Do the math for a day of shooting. I'm no cheap, but $30 in 5 minutes sounds like a pretty good money for me. Isn't about $360/hour? Darn good rate - I'm not making that much in the office!

That's funny. I shoot corrosive ammo because I'm soooo lazy. I bought all of my corrosive 7.62x54 back when it was 8˘ per round delivered. At that time non-corrosive 7.62x54 was 40˘ per round delivered. That meant a day of shooting corrosive ammo cost me about $8.00 while a day of shooting non-corrosive cost me $40.00. That's a savings of $32.00 with only 5 more minutes of work to clean for corrosive.

I'm so lazy that I chose to save the $32.00 with five minutes of work instead of working at my day job for an extra half hour to make that same amount of money. That's an extra 25 minutes of sleeping time. :)

knucklehead0202
09-20-2009, 8:06 PM
buy whatever you can get cheap and get a lot of it. as far as how it shoots, they're all pretty close has been my experience, so get the cheap stuff. you're not going to be shooting the 1000 yd competition right? don't worry about it. just clean clean clean. i use hot water and dish soap when i get back from the range, then hoppes 'til it's clean and break free or rem oil afterward.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-20-2009, 8:21 PM
buy whatever you can get cheap and get a lot of it.

That actually brings up a good point about Mosin-Nagants. If you find a good deal on a huge amount of 7.62x54R ammo, you can always buy it up and then spend time looking for a Mosin-Nagant that shoots it well. The rifles are cheap enough. :)

http://www.type03.net/mainpagepics/12mns.jpg

clockwork
09-20-2009, 9:33 PM
You need some Russian carbines and some Finns to round that out.

But AWESOME COLLECTION!!!

That actually brings up a good point about Mosin-Nagants. If you find a good deal on a huge amount of 7.62x54R ammo, you can always buy it up and then spend time looking for a Mosin-Nagant that shoots it well. The rifles are cheap enough. :)

http://www.type03.net/mainpagepics/12mns.jpg

clockwork
09-20-2009, 9:34 PM
:eek:
But oh so satisfying.....................................
Totally worth it!!!!!!

This is why most people wont bother with old foreign rifles, the work is a pain in the butt.

cryoguy
09-22-2009, 9:15 AM
Same thing but cheaper

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|853 (http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18%7C830%7C853)

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/pName/20rds-762x54r-silver-bear-203gr-sp-ammo

I shoot silver bear. It's non-corrosive and the SP is range friendly...

Lucky Scott
09-22-2009, 6:39 PM
I checked AIM but looks like they are out of the surplus russian spam cans.
They do have this...
http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Hungarian_7.62x54R_147grn_Light_Ball.html

Rem222
09-22-2009, 7:02 PM
Same thing but cheaper

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18|830|853 (http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=18%7C830%7C853)

Thanks.... Good link...

PorkLover
09-22-2009, 7:30 PM
like everyone else has said, if you don't have time to clean, then don't shoot....I use a sport bottle mixed with water and dishsoap, I pour that down the barrel when I'm done at the range.....when I get home I just pour hot water down the barrel, while the barrel is drying I take my rifle apart and clean with hoppes, after that is done, I work on the barrel, again using hoppes.....I have gotten it down to less than an hour now.....

It's just the Mosin way and for me I guess part of the addiction......

5hundo
09-23-2009, 8:43 AM
Since my Nagant is my only 7.62x54r rifle, I tend to buy only brass cases. They don't have to be boxer primed but I have more reliability with brass than steel. I shoot for fun, so I don't really want to fiddle with the rifle all day. I want to shoot it..

If you've got an SVT-40 or other rifles that shoot rimmed russian, I understand the attraction to buying cheaper, steel-cased, Milsurp ammo but for me, I stick to brass...